Balcony rooms & sleeping toddlers..

ComeSailWithME

We are staying in our first aft balcony on our upcoming cruise, so that we have a great place to sun and fun while our 13 month old naps and sleeps for the night. Here is my concern, I am a freak and sleep with my video monitor on next to my nighstand, even though his bedroom is 10 feet away. I am pretty sure the monitor would get a lot of interference (as people have mentioned not even walkie talkies working) plus it is not small. I don't think i want to keep the door open (and let the warm air + noise in). So I am just wondering what you all have done in the past?

The warm air is usually accompanied by a breeze at night and during the day- just leave the door open (6 inches) if you are worried. It won't make the room that hot during the day. I highly recommend napping with the 13 month old. My sons had boundless energy at that age- I needed a nap too!

The warm air is usually accompanied by a breeze at night and during the day- just leave the door open (6 inches) if you are worried. It won't make the room that hot during the day. I highly recommend napping with the 13 month old. My sons had boundless energy at that age- I needed a nap too!

good to know!

haha yes, my husband and I have been known for the occasional siesta on pre-baby vacays :)

We had no issues with our video baby monitors between adjacent cabins or on the balcony. We also successfully used a walkie talkie to stay in touch with our sitters or nanny in the room while we were elsewhere on board, but the "voice activation" feature didn't work well enough for that to be an option for keeping an ear on a sleeping toddler.

Door open = lots of noise in the cabin (and no AC). Workable for some kids, probably not for others.

Door closed = I don't think you can hear a talking/murmuring toddler. The cabins are pretty sound proofed... just think how muted the wind noise is inside. With the wind noise outside and the soundproofing... we certainly have never assumed we can hear them. In our case we wind up checking many times thinking that we heard something (with the door open.) Wind noise is probably less of an issue with an aft balcony though.

As others have said, I would think that the monitor would work just fine through the glass or a single wall. It's when you have multiple metal walls that the signal goes downhill fast. That said: you won't have a plug on the balcony (at least that I've ever seen), so if you do bring the monitor make sure if can go for a few hours w/o being plugged in.

Archived