TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

The problem is...the media ends up getting people hysterical over these things.

The last bad storm to threaten Florida was Ivan, the press caused mass panic...and nothing happened in the state. They kept saying it's going to cause massive damage in Florida and it ended up making a beeline straight to New Orleans.

It's called crying "wolf", the more they do it, the less impact it has on people.

The press always sensationalizes things before they have all of the information.

As you see above, I acknowledge reporters getting excited. My problem with the other poster was saying it was a JOKE. The post should have been written differently. People who don't live here don't realize how these reporters are on overdrive (most of the time) when the unusual happens besides rain one day, sunshine the next.

it was a joke because of the panic our local media created

I think the point you are missing is hurricanes are unpredicable and if the community isn't prepared, it could be a disaster. I would rather be prepared and have nothing happen, than no preparation at all. I'm on the West coast and it now looks like Isaac is drifting farther west which we are thankful for. We stripped all the sails and canvas off our boat, put away all patio furniture, etc. and if it is for nothing, I'm grateful!

Pat

I think the point you are missing is hurricanes are unpredicable and if the community isn't prepared, it could be a disaster. I would rather be prepared and have nothing happen, than no preparation at all. I'm on the West coast and it now looks like Isaac is drifting farther west which we are thankful for. We stripped all the sails and canvas off our boat, put away all patio furniture, etc. and if it is for nothing, I'm grateful!

Pat

i am not "missing" anything. a little bit of information for the "new" people would have been enough. the constant 24 hour a day coverage was ludicrous and guaranteed to set panic when someone hears constant coverage for 24 hours. i even caught MYSELF getting caught up in the hype and it did not go away until i came to my extra apartment with a parking garage and do not have cable.. so i was able to avoid the media.. and anyone with common sense would know if a storm that has 40-70 mph winds could possibly be on its way they need to make minor preparations. if they don't thats their own fault for being total idiots.

i am not "missing" anything. a little bit of information for the "new" people would have been enough. the constant 24 hour a day coverage was ludicrous and guaranteed to set panic when someone hears constant coverage for 24 hours. i even caught MYSELF getting caught up in the hype and it did not go away until i came to my extra apartment with a parking garage and do not have cable.. so i was able to avoid the media.. and anyone with common sense would know if a storm that has 40-70 mph winds could possibly be on its way they need to make minor preparations. if they don't thats their own fault for being total idiots.

I do agree that the media often sensationalizes the event of a possible hurricane, but unfortunately, it's not only the "new" people that don't pay attention to the warnings. Like any event, people react differently. I would rather be over prepared than be under prepared. Looking at our society, you can not rely on "common sense".

In 1979, my Mom, Dad & I had to evacuate for Hurricane David. After the order to evacuate was given, we were the first ones to arrive at Deerfield Beach High School about 1PM with the storm predicted to arrive around 3-4AM. Mom had two coolers filled with food, we had pillows and blankets, we had comfortable chairs, we had a little battery operated tv, we had cards to pass the time....we were prepared!! I knew many of the police stationed at the high school (worked at a bank that the city used). No one from Red Cross ever arrived so they asked Mom & I if we would stay by the door and make a list of those arriving. I couldn't believe the people arriving at 12-1AM, then asking where they could get diapers for their babies or where the food was because they were hungry.

Anyways.....I'm not sure what's happening in Boynton, but it's pouring and blowing up here in West Palm.

FEMA dealing with Fl. and La., Lights out in parts of Miami, Cancelled flights in Miami and Key West, just to name a few things.

They are getting hit, reguardless of the storm catagory.

Most of us here are grateful the storm keeps veering west. Some of the recievers of The storm will be Biloxi (just put on emergency due to it becoming a 2 or 3), New Orleans on emergency.

I Think "our poster" meant no evil with the word "joke", just a poor choice of words and getting blasted for it. If you remember, back a while a poster said "come on hurricane" and got blasted. What she meant was the rain was needed due to drought in Texas.

I'm here in Miami and the storm seems to have dissipated, The Valor has been delayed until 8PM Monday. I don't really know why because it's 5:00 and clear, could've left. I've seen bigger thunderstorms in Canada.

this is the very first time that I have read a comment thaat is so very rude on cruise critic. sounds like we should be in some kids chat room. :mad:

The last bad storm to threaten Florida was Ivan, the press caused mass panic...and nothing happened in the state. They kept saying it's going to cause massive damage in Florida and it ended up making a beeline straight to New Orleans.

It's called crying "wolf", the more they do it, the less impact it has on people.

The press always sensationalizes things before they have all of the information.

OKAY WAIT a min....

First I have a few ??'s for you...

Where in Florida do you live?

Do you know that Hurricane Ivan was at one time a CAT 5.

I lived in Pensacola Florida in 2004 when Hurricane Ivan hit. Hurricane Ivan Did NOT make a bee-line for New Orleans. Ivan entered the panhandle of Florida right at the Florida/Alabama state line. In Gulf Shore Alabama to be exact. Pensacola is just to the east of that area, and the east side of the eye of the Hurricane is always the worst. Hurricane Ivan cause massive damage to SEVERAL states and islands in the Caribbean. I know of people who lost their lives in Pensacola due to the MASSIVE flooding, people who drown in their own attics because of the rising of the water from the gulf. I was fortunate not to loose my home in Hurricane Ivan but SEVERAL of my very close friends and my family members had to live in FEMA campers and mobile homes for 18-24 months while they had to rebuild. I lived in a n apartment complex that had a total of 27 buildings, Each building housed between 8-12 apartments, after the storm only 6 buildings were left with roofs, or windows not blown out. So many people just in my complex were without a place to stay not to mention how terrifying that is to go thru. When the electricity goes and the storm is there and its 2:00am and you have 3 small ones, I'm sorry but saying "SOMEONE CRIED WOLF" on Ivan definitely struck a nerve with me.

Some people in our area were without power for weeks. The entire city had a curfew do to the lack of electricity spread area wide. Hurricine Ivan destroyed many peoples lives and no matter BIG or small a storm is it can always be a potential threat to your life and NEVER should be taken lightly, especially as a joke.

Now to those who are saying this storm is a joke I will be calling Home (Pensacola Florida) to make sure my friends and family will be prepared once the TS becomes a Hurricane and makes landfall right in their backyards!

I have attached a link just in case you would like to truly educate yourself on what REAL damage did cause to Florida and surrounding areas.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ivan

You have no idea of what your are talking about.I lived thru Ivan, in Milton Florida. It took out the Interstate 10 bridge and it took 2 years for it to be rebuilt. Many homes were lost. Lives were lost. We were 30 Miles inland from the beach and we had sand in our yard. No power for weeks. Tree's down all around our house.

I did take photos and would love to show you the damage. Ivan did nothing to New Orleans. You should know your facts before you post something.

Ten months later Denis hit this area again. that is why we moved to North Georgia.

Rita:mad:

We got hit at the Boca house by Wilma in 2005. It was a cat 3. We lost many of the shingles on the roof, a palm tree, and the screen enclosure over the pool. Windows were fine. Houses next to us had less if no damage! :eek:

Before I left for New Jersey on Friday, my girl friend (who was remaining there) stocked up on some food and other necessities just in case, but I told her Issac would not be an issue there, and if I thought it would be I would remain there. She's flying back up to Jersey this Saturday.

So far, no issues at Boca Raton, which is about 30 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. Just some wind and rain now and then.

So far their track predictions seem to be quite accurate, and I have not bothered to check the other charts to determine what influences there might be on it. I'll leave that to the experts. However it is moving well west now and will likely hit NOLA, but at what force remains to be seen. Hopefully it does not get past a cat 1 or 2.

I think what was meant by a joke is the sensationalism of the media when you are not affected by more then the usual Florida storm.

Here it is bright and sunny but all weekend long the weather guys are working overtime like they need to drum up business for something?

Florida is a very large state and some areas are more prone then others for hurricanes. But you know the chance you take by living in the area selected. But like the keys many residents know its a fact of life and a challenge they must choose to take. Just like living near any coast.

FEMA dealing with Fl. and La., Lights out in parts of Miami, Cancelled flights in Miami and Key West, just to name a few things.

They are getting hit, reguardless of the storm catagory.

Most of us here are grateful the storm keeps veering west. Some of the recievers of The storm will be Biloxi (just put on emergency due to it becoming a 2 or 3), New Orleans on emergency.

I Think "our poster" meant no evil with the word "joke", just a poor choice of words and getting blasted for it. If you remember, back a while a poster said "come on hurricane" and got blasted. What she meant was the rain was needed due to drought in Texas.

oh please.. it was hardly a "blasting" lol.. its the internet i do NOT get offended by what people say.. i do not get offended when someone does not like what i have to say.. they will get over it.. they wont lose sleep.. but thats normal people these days being so offended by little words on the internet ;):D:rolleyes:

I think what was meant by a joke is the sensationalism of the media when you are not affected by more then the usual Florida storm.

Here it is bright and sunny but all weekend long the weather guys are working overtime like they need to drum up business for something?

Florida is a very large state and some areas are more prone then others for hurricanes. But you know the chance you take by living in the area selected. But like the keys many residents know its a fact of life and a challenge they must choose to take. Just like living near any coast.

i just hate how news people from areas not anything to do with the worst parts actually go and put themselves in the drama then causing panic to the local area maybe getting some feeder bands.

just like yesterday, the sheriff of broward county (where i live) had a press conference and he also said that he noticed an extreme amount of panic that was extremely unnecessary. then the news man came back on saying.. i hope that was not directed towards us (the media)

its so EASY to get caught up in their hype.. like i said before.. I DID ALSO.. until i went somewhere i did not have tv.

dead horse now? :p

OKAY WAIT a min....

I lived in Pensacola Florida in 2004 when Hurricane Ivan hit. Hurricane Ivan Did NOT make a bee-line for New Orleans. Ivan entered the panhandle of Florida right at the Florida/Alabama state line. In Gulf Shore Alabama to be exact. Pensacola is just to the east of that area, and the east side of the eye of the Hurricane is always the worst. Hurricane Ivan cause massive damage to SEVERAL states and islands in the Caribbean. I know of people who lost their lives in Pensacola due to the MASSIVE flooding, people who drown in their own attics because of the rising of the water from the gulf. I was fortunate not to loose my home in Hurricane Ivan but SEVERAL of my very close friends and my family members had to live in FEMA campers and mobile homes for 18-24 months while they had to rebuild. I lived in a n apartment complex that had a total of 27 buildings, Each building housed between 8-12 apartments, after the storm only 6 buildings were left with roofs, or windows not blown out. So many people just in my complex were without a place to stay not to mention how terrifying that is to go thru. When the electricity goes and the storm is there and its 2:00am and you have 3 small ones, I'm sorry but saying "SOMEONE CRIED WOLF" on Ivan definitely struck a nerve with me.

Some people in our area were without power for weeks. The entire city had a curfew do to the lack of electricity spread area wide. Hurricine Ivan destroyed many peoples lives and no matter BIG or small a storm is it can always be a potential threat to your life and NEVER should be taken lightly, especially as a joke.

Now to those who are saying this storm is a joke I will be calling Home (Pensacola Florida) to make sure my friends and family will be prepared once the TS becomes a Hurricane and makes landfall right in their backyards!

I have attached a link just in case you would like to truly educate yourself on what REAL damage did cause to Florida and surrounding areas.

I am so glad this was addressed .... and the following poster as well. At the time of Ivan's hit my daughter lived in Panama City Beach ... her husband worked in the area and their company had to go and help all the people and devastation in Pensacola for WEEKS!!! Panama City was not doing too well either with Ivan .... but Pensacola took a huge hit! And, yes .... Denis came not too long after. My daughter and her husband came here for that one ... we are in ne GA. Soon after that they actually moved to Milton, near Pensacola and we've spent alot of time there and I can tell you what these posters said was VERY true .... it took a very long time to recover from that storm. What is it they say .... if you haven't walked in those shoes, best not to judge?? Well, that's not what they say, but you get the point!! LOL!!! Florida, especially the gulf has had a few very tough years with hurricanes and having family there, I can attest to it as being very valid. Sometimes we don't get the whole picture unless we experience it. My prayers are with those in it's path right now ... hurricanes are no small thing, no matter what the category ... pay attention to Mother Nature!!:)

So all these personal 'Cain experiences are wonderful and all but how many cruises got cancelled or delayed.

Also and more important where are the smoking areas on the FREEDOM OF THE SEAS

You can look on the Carnival website for all the cruise delays and changes.

As for the rest, shut up & look elsewhere for your answers.

Let's get this thread back on track, shall we? All along, the official track forecasts have said the actual track was less important than the cone. They really haven't even attempted to accurately predict where Isaac would go until this morning. It was entirely appropriate for most Floridians to get a reminder to be prepared. Obviously this isn't going to be "the big one" for the Tampa area. But we are still going see wind, lots of rain, localized flooding, rivers cresting over their banks (thanks to remaining high waters from Debbie), and possibly some power outages. It may not be the big one, but even getting minor effects will cause major pains in the @$$.

OKAY WAIT a min....

My mistake...I meant to say Katrina not Ivan. I know Ivan the Terrible made land fall in the panhandle. I had the storm names mixed up.

To answer your other question I lived in Sarasota from Feb 2003-Feb 2005 and moved to Tampa from there and have been there since.

We're bringing up the fact that the media 9 times out of 10 over react...they spout out "news" when they don't have all the facts.

I was in Sarasota when Charley was coming straight for us, then made the turn in to Fort Myers/Punta Gorda.

Guess what, the media screamed bloody murder that Charley was coming right to Tampa and told everyone to evacuate to the East towards Orlando, guess what happened...all those people that left Tampa got hit by Charley after it ripped up Fort Myers and went to Orlando and barely dropped rain in Sarasota/Bradenton/Tampa.

Same thing happened with Frances I believe, but just the opposite. They told everyone to go West...and the storm went to the West.

I've been in Hurricanes, Tropical storms, out of season hurricanes and have even had a tornado lift off the ground right in front of me and touch back down 1/4 mile away. I know the destructive power of nature first hand.

All we're saying is the local media basically needs to stop getting everyone into a panic, especially when they don't have all the facts.

Question for you guy. My brother and sister in law left Saturday on Elation out of New Orleans, They drove down from Missouri and parked down by the ship I am assuming. If Issac hits close to there is there a strong possibility that their vehicle will be flooded? or what might they expect to come back to? Any thoughts?

We are all bumming as this is their first cruise and they have their 5 and 8 year old sons with them. I hope they manage to make the most of it

Archived