Shore Excursion with a 4 1/2 year old in St Thomas

ABCruiser

I had a brief look at the excursions that DCL offered in St Thomas which wasn't much for a 4 1/2 year old. Then I thought maybe we'll just go to a beach and spent the day there..questions - are all the taxi the open safari type? If so, would a 4 1/2 year old be able to ride and be safe in the taxi? Which beach would you recommend? There will be 6 ships in the day we're in St Thomas. Any other recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I would take a taxi (yes, a 4 1/2 year old should be fine - put them in between you and you'll be good to go) and head to Coki beach. That's where Coral World is located which I think a 4 yr old would LOVE, and then hit the beach for a couple hours. Easy to do. It will be crowded with 6 ships in port, but it would be a fun day for you. Even the safari taxi ride is fun! You'll get to see some of the island and some beautiful views of the harbor on the way back into town.

Seatbelts can be found in taxis, I even found one with a top tether. Please don't travel on one of the safari buses, they are not safe for anyone except the person driving. There is a great thread discussing this topic in the family forum right now, with plenty of options that offer safe transportation for a reasonable cost.

Last time we were in St Thomas we went to Coral World and Coki beach, this time we will be exploring another beach by taxi using boosters for my boys. If you ask for seatbelts in the taxi, they can be found.

The number one thing to consider is getting back to the ship on time if you take your own excursion, and Saint Thomas has some of the worst traffic jams that you will ever encounter, especially with six ships in port that day. Make no mistake about this, the traffic can be really bad and the ship will leave without you.

Stick with a DCL excursion to Magens Bay or some such place and relax.

Magen's bay is the best known of the beaches in St Tom and with six ships you can bet it will likely be packed. Coral World and Coki beach will be crowded also but should not be as bad at Magen's. One benefit to taking your own taxi is you can get a jump on the frowds from your ship, even better if you are the first ship in. This would allow you some beach time before the ship crowds arrive. Coki does have very very small waves that are perfect for small ones to enjoy.

As a PP said, if you venture on your own, considering six ships in harbor, give lots of time to get back to pier. Have fun.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I think Coki Beach is a great idea for a 4 1/2 year old and would recommend it.

Just another option, not sure you need it, but you may want to look at an excursion with another company than through the cruise line. There are companies that are US based and offer insurance in case you "miss the boat". These companies are more expensive because of the insurance, but keeps a happy DW. I rarely book through ships anymore. Also, i make sure the tour is over well before the ship leaves to be on the safe side.

You may also want to post on the St. Thomas board and people on that board can help with some ideas.

Good Luck.

Archived