Do you buy the insurance through Carnival?

CarenM

Nope, won't buy it through Carnival or a TA. They sell their policies for a considerable profit. For me to insure my family of 3 through Carnival, $300. To do on my own, for better coverage, I can do for around $100.

I feel they are pushing it when I call.

I found travel insurance for much cheaper.

Why is there's different?

I am just learning about the insurance but from what i can tell..theirs is not as much coverage and a little higher than insurance you can find somewhere else. I didnt feel like they were really pushing it...i think thats just part of their selling technique. I just told my PVP that i was not interested at this time and he said i could add it anytime.

We also buy thru InsureMyTrip.com

Have purchased Travel Guard Gold, Allianz and gonna give Tru Travel a go this time around. However, we have never had to file a claim - our honeymoon cruise is next month during the peak of Hurricane Season and with all the storms brewing in the Caribbean.......

If I get it at all I just take Carnival's. I once looked at some other place and it just seamed so complicated I didn't want to make the wrong choices so I gave up and just bought the Carnival plan. LOL

Wish I knew someone that could walk me through the differences on insuremytrip and the other ones.

Always buy it from Carnival because it is just easy (I guess we are a bit lazy). We have had to use it once out of 15 trips but well worth it.

If I get it at all I just take Carnival's. I once looked at some other place and it just seamed so complicated I didn't want to make the wrong choices so I gave up and just bought the Carnival plan. LOL

Wish I knew someone that could walk me through the differences on insuremytrip and the other ones.

First timer and I decided Carnival had the coverage I needed. If we can go again I'll shop a bit more but I didn't see that much of a price difference for what I wanted.

IMO the "downside" of Carnival Trip Protection Plan is that it's more expensive for less coverage than the so-called 3rd party Policies, the Medical Coverage is IMO way to low, the Emergency Evacuation coverage is IMO barely adequate, and the policy does not include "Waiver of pre-existing conditions" which is included in most other Policies if you purchase near the time you book your cruise.

The Carnicval Policy DOES include 75% "Cancel for Any Reason" Future Cruise CREDIT, some Cancellation coverage for job layoff, cancellation for 48 hour advance NOLA weather alert, can be cancelled with refund up to Final Payment Deadline.

ken

I really like InsureMyTrip because I can first choose a price range of policies. Then I can compare policies side-by-side and eliminate any that don't have features that I want, e.g. waiver of pre-existing conditions. Finally, once I have narrowed my choices to 2 or 3 policies, I can chat online with a rep or call one on the phone and discuss any questions I have about the policies. All of the reps I have dealt with were friendly and informative.

Yes, it may be easier just to buy the Carnival policy, but you aren't getting value for money. With a minimal amount of effort, you can get better protection for less money by using InsureMyTrip.

I don't buy trip insurance. For something like a cruise etc. (really anything that is under $5000), we would typically self insure. If something kept us from going, we in all liklihood would not have an opportunity to do a different trip later that year, and we would have a vacation budget that we fund again for the next year which would probably be our next chance to take a trip.

Note too that our group medical insurance has airlift / evacuation coverge, so we already have some protection in this particular area.

If you feel the urge coming on to by Carnival's insurance, take a third of your money, put it in a pile, and start it on fire. You'll at least derive some BTUs out of it as it is consumed by flames.

You can always beat their offer with a lower price and better coverages.

One reason you may be feeling pressured is that Carnival changed the pay scale for their sales people. Moving the amount that person is paid from being mostly for the booking to mostly for the Insurance.

I too buy from Insuremytrip.com We get more medical and med evacuation for less money. We also lose the "Cancel for most any reason" that Carnival offers.

I buy it for every trip and believe ANY policy is better than NO policy. Especially since my health insurance like most does not cover us outside the USA.

One reason you may be feeling pressured is that Carnival changed the pay scale for their sales people. Moving the amount that person is paid from being mostly for the booking to mostly for the Insurance.

I too buy from Insuremytrip.com We get more medical and med evacuation for less money. We also lose the "Cancel for most any reason" that Carnival offers.

I buy it for every trip and believe ANY policy is better than NO policy. Especially since my health insurance like most does not cover us outside the USA.

I'm just curious how do you know this? I'm just asking not trying to flame or anything.;):p

IMO the "downside" of Carnival Trip Protection Plan is that it's more expensive for less coverage than the so-called 3rd party Policies, the Medical Coverage is IMO way to low, the Emergency Evacuation coverage is IMO barely adequate, and the policy does not include "Waiver of pre-existing conditions" which is included in most other Policies if you purchase near the time you book your cruise.

The Carnicval Policy DOES include 75% "Cancel for Any Reason" Future Cruise CREDIT, some Cancellation coverage for job layoff, cancellation for 48 hour advance NOLA weather alert, can be cancelled with refund up to Final Payment Deadline.

ken

That's no true. It does include the Waiver for Pre Existing conditions.

This is our first cruise and the first time I have purchased trip insurance. Although our medical insurance covers us outside of the U.S. the cost of the medical evacuation (if God forbid we needed it) was my reason for purchasing it. We also used InsureMyTrip and the costs were really reasonable for more coverage.

Love CC -- learn new stuff all the time! We have always used Carnival's insurance -- It frankly never occurred to me to go to 3rd party for trip insurance! Duh!:o

Question: what is the time frame within which you must purchase the 3rd party insurance? Any time before your sail date?

Thanks!

Love CC -- learn new stuff all the time! We have always used Carnival's insurance -- It frankly never occurred to me to go to 3rd party for trip insurance! Duh!:o

Question: what is the time frame within which you must purchase the 3rd party insurance? Any time before your sail date?

Thanks!

you can buy it anytime before sail date but the coverage you get goes down. I believe to maximize the benefits you need to get insurance with in 15 days of first payment/deposit. I could be wrong but I thought that is what I read.

Archived