Do you buy the insurance through Carnival?

CarenM

That's no true. It does include the Waiver for Pre Existing conditions.

The Carnival Policy does NOT include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" - it specifically has a 60-day lookback window for pre-existing conditions. "

We will not pay for any loss or expense caused by or incurred resulting from: a Pre-Existing Condition, as defined in the plan."

ken

Love CC -- learn new stuff all the time! We have always used Carnival's insurance -- It frankly never occurred to me to go to 3rd party for trip insurance! Duh!:o

Question: what is the time frame within which you must purchase the 3rd party insurance? Any time before your sail date?

Thanks!

The good news is you can purchase almost up to sailaway; the bad news is that you should purchase within 7-21 days (depending on the Insurer) of booking your cruise, in order to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions", and if you want to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason". ken

I've never felt pressured from them to buy their insurance.

However, I do know that legally they have to offer it and notate on their end that you declined it.

I consider it like excursions.... you can buy through Carnival and pay more for the "convenience" of using them. Or, do your research & buy on your own & pay about half the price!

Like a few others, I never really considered buying third-party trip insurance until it was mentioned. Strike another blow for CC! :)

I was looking through one of the insurers' pages (CSA) and it looked reasonable, but I noticed there doesn't seem to be any way to view the actual insurance contract until after the purchase is finalized...so I'm unsure exactly what types of losses or situations are 'covered.'

We're driving down from Atlanta to Miami for the cruise and I'm nervous about the drive. If we encountered a problem ("travel delay"?) on the way down, say a car breakdown that delayed us from arriving at the pier until too late and we missed the cruise, is that sort of event 'covered'?

(It would be too late now for us to get "Cancel for any reason" coverage or pre-existing conditions coverage. )

I buy it thru the cruise lines and thankfully never needed it. My logic is that if I do have a problem I just show the ship personal my insurance and they take it from there. I probably pay too much but my biggest concern is any kind og medical emergency, especially an evacuation and a medi flight home. (it happened to neighbors who had insurance that saved them over 40k) Some consider it a waste of money since they are healthy and don't expect to need it but who expects to need house or car insurance but we all carry it just the same.

I feel they are pushing it when I call.

I found travel insurance for much cheaper.

Why is there's different?

There's no difference except price. Shop around. We use our credit card for insurance. We have a Delta Airmiles card that costs us $120 a year and we get Medical, trip cancellation and interruption. Great deal really. We also have medical coverage through my employer. Not sure what your circumstances are of course but if you look around for a credit card with insurance you could get enough introductory airmiles to buy an airplane ticket AND get travel insurance.

My logic is that if I do have a problem I just show the ship personal my insurance and they take it from there. I probably pay too much but my biggest concern is any kind og medical emergency, especially an evacuation and a medi flight home. (it happened to neighbors who had insurance that saved them over 40k) quote]

PAPERBKWRITER - Just be aware that with the Cruiseline's Policy the Infirmary still bills your S&S account which you have to pay and file for reimbursement and you still arrange/coordinate Medical Evacuation with Berkely's 800 number.

You might want to checkout some of the popular 3rd party policies, if only to know what's available: The Carnival Policy DOES have some nice perks, but the $10K Medical coverage is IMO too low, the $30K Evacuation is marginal and the Policy will not pay for anything traced to a pre-existing condition - I suspect you could get much higher coverages at a lower premium.

Does your Personal Health Policy (adequately) cover out-of-country (specifically Medical and Medical Transport)? Do you have a credit card that provides (minimal) Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and Baggage Loss/Delay?

ken

There's no difference except price. Shop around. We use our credit card for insurance. We have a Delta Airmiles card that costs us $120 a year and we get Medical, trip cancellation and interruption. Great deal really. We also have medical coverage through my employer. Not sure what your circumstances are of course but if you look around for a credit card with insurance you could get enough introductory airmiles to buy an airplane ticket AND get travel insurance.

I looked at your Delta Credit Card - that's a pretty good deal! In the US, most of the Credit Cards that include "Trip Insurance" include minimal Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and Baggage Loss/Delay, but don't include medical. fortunately Our BCBS covers Cut-of-Country and our World Mastercard gives us airmiles and adequate s (minimal) Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and Baggage Loss/Delay. ken

Archived