Princess Cruise From Chile Wine Policy?

whitewings1

We have booked on the Star Princess to sail from Chile to LA.

On the Princess website it says we can only bring one bottle of wine pp on this cruise. Does anyone know if this is a new Princess policy or is it specific to Chile? We have always taken several bottles of wine on our previous cruises with Princess. Appreciate if someone could clarify as I'm not interested in putting wine in my luggage, I'd just like to carry it on as we usually do. Another question. If we can only bring one bottle pp, does anyone know if we can then bring more on when we stop in other ports. Thank you.

progress.gif

Better to post this question on the Princess board. You'll actually find Princes states you're allowed a bottle of wine per person (or 2 per cabin) when you board initially everywhere. It's just that the line doesn't enforce it.

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.* Princess Cruises reserves the right to remove any alcoholic beverage in excess of the above stated policy thresholds from both passenger suitcases and hand-luggage. Alcohol will be stored for safe-keeping during the course of the voyage and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the final day of the cruise.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

As mentioned, I would post this on the Princess Board.

Their web site does indicate only one bottle per person of either wine or champagne.

See what the experiences have been for others not only on embarkation day but on days when in ports.

Keith

Thank you. Yes, I did post on the Princess thread also, since I wasn't sure which was best. Got a few replies there. Seems one person did this cruise in March '12 and took 9 bottles on. The consensus is the policy is rarely enforced by Princess. Also, I was told the Passage Contract wording remains "Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption." Sounds good to me. Thanks again for replying.

We have booked on the Star Princess to sail from Chile to LA.

On the Princess website it says we can only bring one bottle of wine pp on this cruise. Does anyone know if this is a new Princess policy or is it specific to Chile? We have always taken several bottles of wine on our previous cruises with Princess. Appreciate if someone could clarify as I'm not interested in putting wine in my luggage, I'd just like to carry it on as we usually do. Another question. If we can only bring one bottle pp, does anyone know if we can then bring more on when we stop in other ports. Thank you.

progress.gif

Have you checked our roll call for this cruise? It's tacked on to the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise that proceeds it. Join us here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399010

• 4 weeks later...

When we departed Valpariso in Dec 2009 they told us that it was unlimited bottles of wine on that day only (day we embarked). So we stocked up. On subsequent stops we each brought only one bottle per person on board. Hope that is the same policy this time. We depart from SFO in December on the Star.

You bought "several" bottles on board before? We took the Star Princess from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso about 4 years ago, and my recollection is that we were limited to a couple of bottles (and our bags were checked as we boarded, even after shore excursions). Have you phoned Princess?

• 4 weeks later...

New passage contract on 10/8/12 per conversation with Princess. Strictly limits wine to one bottle per person per voyage. It further states that the one bottle per person must be brought on in hand luggage. Any alcohol found in your other luggage will be "removed and discarded". Here's the link to the Princess website - read section 5.

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

This is a major change from the previous contract which stated, "Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption" They had various "requests" that you limit it to one bottle per passenger, but the contract is the enforcable thing. I could not get a clear answer as to when they will begin earnestly enforcing the new policy.

Per the wine being brought onto the ship in hand luggage:

How is this possible if flying from International destination which states that no liquids more than 30ml can be brought on board?

And please do not direct me to Duty Free where in our case it is limited choices.

Archived