scuba

hi..we are waitisted on the dive tours on moorea and raiatea through princess...I am concerned we won't clear the waitlist...so I want to book through an indepent just in case we don't clear.. anyone have any good suggestions of dive shops in moorea and raiatea...also, do they pick you up at the pier???

thanks so much.

Alexandra

I do not have personnel experience with this dive operator, but several divers recommend TOPdive. They have operations on Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, and Fakarava. I am going on the Tahitian Princess in Sept 2005 and have emailed them for information. They seem very accommodating. Try their web site at http://www.topdive.com.

Have fun

David

thank you so much.. I actually had emailed them and they responded quickly and seem very nice. They will pick people up at the dock. I also contacted Bathys www.bathys.net and they will also pick up at the pier. they say they work with the Tahitan Princess and the Pacific Princess. So, I will probably book with one of these.

Alexandra

I just returned from the Pacific Princess. We dove with Bathy's. They were okay. They don't have everything set up for you in advance as did Bora Divers, and plan on helping them carry equipment off the boat. They did do a nice job in videoing the dive for us.

My concern with Top Dive was getting to the pier on time to meet them, so we booked through the ship. The diving was absolutely beautiful!

Marly

I dived with TOPdive wherever possible in February. They are great and I will book with them in the future if we do this cruise again. However, a late decision to dive in Moorea left me with booking a ship's excursion which was done by Bathy's. I had the worst dives I've ever experienced with anyone.

They took us out to a spot for our first dive and basically dumped us off. The DM didn't seem to know what he was doing or where he was going. We dove to 75 feet. When we finished the dive, we asked where we were going on the second one and they said to another spot close by.

They took us back to the scuba office, loaded on more tanks and we were off. I would bet money we went back to the same spot. We began following the DM and I soon noticed that my computer said we were at 90 feet - which was way too deep for our second dive. I went up and watched more closely after that.

Once back on board, one guy in our group said he had enough of the DM and went back to the mooring line where he waited for us at 25' because he wasn't going to follow that idiot around any more.

After that experience, I would rather not dive than to dive with Bathy's again.

10X: Wow, that is a bad dive experience. I hope you told the ship's shore excursion people about it. Fortunately that wasn't our experience at all I'm glad to say. We had two very nice dives with them. My biggest complaint was that they didn't provide any kind of fruit or drink for us after the dive.

We had the same experience as 10X. We dove Moorea with Bathy's. We dove the same spot for both dives. In between dives, we just sat at the office and waited - no snack or water was offered. One motor on the boat was not working, so we had a slow ride out for the first dive. For the second dive, we had to transfer all of our stuff (and theirs) to the other boat.

We did see a lot of black a tip sharks.

If you have a choice - I do not recommend Bathy's.

Toni

Archived