Carnival insurance and the early saver deposit

CarenM

I know they say the deposit is non-refundable but that is a HUGE risk to take if something should come up. I can't be out like 600 bucks.

If we buy the Carnival insurance and we had to cancel for whatever reason would we get that deposit back?

If not, maybe the early saver fare isn't worth it???

You are only risking $50 pp .. how many in your party.

There is a fee of $50 and the rest of the deposit is held for two years from the date you cancel.

Insurance would cover the $50 fee, but its in the form of a credit if I understand Ken correctly.

There is a fee of $50 and the rest of the deposit is held for two years from the date you cancel.

Insurance would cover the $50 fee, but its in the form of a credit if I understand Ken correctly.

ok, thank you. There are 4 of us.

If you have the insurance and you cancel, the reason you cancel has to be covered. You also lose the insurance money. You will lose $50 cancelation fees per person. Now if you reason isn't covered they will give you a future cruise credit. You will never receive the cash back. This is what happened to a family member of mine.

CCL insurance is a rip off. You can get twice the insurance for 1/2 the price with insuremytrip.com. The emergency evac on CCL is 30K, not enough for any emergency evac, most companies offer 250-500K. You are much better covered for all instances with Travel Guard, one of insuremytrips companies.

CCL insurance is a rip off. You can get twice the insurance for 1/2 the price with insuremytrip.com. The emergency evac on CCL is 30K, not enough for any emergency evac, most companies offer 250-500K. You are much better covered for all instances with Travel Guard, one of insuremytrips companies.

Carnival does insure for some things other policies dont .. it insures for work related reasons for cancel .. and weather related.. things most policies dont cover.

You always need to compare what things are covered that might apply to you before you buy. No two policies are alike of course.

For our cruise we got the following for $126 at the website mentioned above:

Included Benefits

Trip Cancellation.............................................................Trip Cost

Trip Interruption ................................................150% of Trip Cost

Missed Connection............................................................ $1,500

Travel Delay (Up to $200 Per Day).................................... $1,000

Medical Expense / Emergency Assistance

Accident & Sickness Medical Expense................. $100,000

Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation................. $500,000

One Call 24 Hour Traveler Assistance Service.......Included

Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation ..................... $25,000

Baggage and Personal Effects .......................................... $1,500

Baggage Delay (Up to $200 Per Day).................................. $400

Accidental Death & Dismemberment............................... $50,000

Optional Benefits

Cancel For Any Reason ........ 100% of Non-Refundable Trip Cost

I know they say the deposit is non-refundable but that is a HUGE risk to take if something should come up. I can't be out like 600 bucks.

If we buy the Carnival insurance and we had to cancel for whatever reason would we get that deposit back?

If not, maybe the early saver fare isn't worth it???

As Fire sez, the term "non-refundable deposit" is a little misleading as you actually only LOSE $50pp cancellation penalty, the remainder of your deposit being "held" by Carnival toward a future cruise (if you can live with that).

Supposedly if you were booked Early Saver and you paid for the Carnival Policy and you were to cancel for a covered reason, Carnival would withhold the future cruise credit and Berkely would then refund your full ES deposit. This was supposedly the case in 9/2010 when I researched it; I don't see any current references to it since the Policy and relationship to Berkely looks to have changed. Bottom line - if there's any hint that you'd be cancelling, IMO one should stay away from Early Saver!

The Carnival Policy DOES have some nice inclusions ("Cancel for Any Reason" albeit a CREDIT not a refund, included coverage for independently booked AirFare, cancellation for Layoff with one of the lowest employment duration requirements, cancellation for NOLA Weather Alert, cancel Policy with refund up to final payment, etc.) but it's a tough sell with the absurdly low medical coverage and barely adequate emergency evacuation coverage, and lack of "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions". Premium-wise the Carnival Policy becomes the better deal once you hit your upper70's age.

ken

For our cruise we got the following for $126 at the website mentioned above:

Optional Benefits

Cancel For Any Reason ........ 100% of Non-Refundable Trip Cost

Which Insurer/Policy is this? TravelSafe? I notice the 100% Cancel for any reason coverage which is unusual.

thanks,

Ken

cancel for any reason is not unusual. What makes insure my trip so good is the comparison page, many companies have a cancel for any reason. Owning a business we always get a cancel for work clause.

Agreed. Also the Cancel for Work is Cheaper than Cancel for Any Reason.

cancel for any reason is not unusual. What makes insure my trip so good is the comparison page, many companies have a cancel for any reason. Owning a business we always get a cancel for work clause.

100% Cancel for Any Reason is extremely unusual. ken

Archived