Moby Dick or Native Way for Stingray City

linanm

Very excited! I've booked our first caribbean cruise for April 2013 on Royal Caribbean and now looking at excursions. A must for us is the Stingray City in Grand Cayman. We like to book independent tours from the ship as we prefer smaller groups.

We are first time snorkelers, are 70 but in good shape with no limitations.

I read good things about both moby dick and native ways tours and can't decide which one to go with. Does one take less people or have more room on the boat? I see that they both have marine bathrooms, and easy access to the water. Then there is the catamaran tours, are they better.

Would love to hear from someone who has been on these tours, and any information or suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your future booking! We just got home from our western Caribbean cruise and we missed all the ugly weather! We had an AMAZING time in Grand Cayman. We booked an excursion (Sun Rays Tours) and it was our favorite of ALL times. This was our 10th cruise and one of our favorite excursions by far! At stingray city we saw the Moby Dick boat and we all commented that we are VERY thankful we booked with who we booked with. Their boat was EXTREMELY crowed and looked uncomfortable. We were on a catamaran with 12 other people. We were treated to sodas and water and pizza! The crew was AMAZING. They were in the water with us and helped up to feed the stingrays, hold the stingrays and took pictures with their cameras and gave them to us free of charge! They did not ask for any tips either. We only paid $50 pp. I will look though the pictures and see if I can find one that shows how crowed the Moby Dick was. To feed the stingrays they were all in a long line and if looked like it the guests were not getting one on one time with the stingrays. Truly just my opinion, but it is an honest one.

We were on the Carnival Legend 3 weeks ago and used Nativeway. It was the best part of our entire trip. We only had 8 people on our boat and were the first one's to the sandbar where the Sting Rays are. We had about 30 minutes of time alone before all of the other boats arrived. Andrew was great. He helped all of us with the Stingrays.

As far as the snorkeling, I am not a great swimmer and Andrew kept an eye on me and kept asking if i was alright. He showed my wife and kids alot of the different corals and found a lobster at the bottom and took our underwater camera down and got us a great picture.

I would highly recommend Nativeways! You will not go wrong.

We were on the Carnival Legend 3 weeks ago and used Nativeway. It was the best part of our entire trip. We only had 8 people on our boat and were the first one's to the sandbar where the Sting Rays are. We had about 30 minutes of time alone before all of the other boats arrived. Andrew was great. He helped all of us with the Stingrays.

As far as the snorkeling, I am not a great swimmer and Andrew kept an eye on me and kept asking if i was alright. He showed my wife and kids alot of the different corals and found a lobster at the bottom and took our underwater camera down and got us a great picture.

I would highly recommend Nativeways! You will not go wrong.

Glad to see your review! I pretty much cant swim, I had thought during the snorkeling part I would have to stay on the boat...do they have floating noodles or life jackets for adults? We also booked with Nativeway for our December trip. Thanks for any help

Thank you all for the posts. I went ahead and booked with Nativeways for the Stingray, snorkle and starfish tour. I feel good about snorkleing for the first time now after reading your reviews. I am now working on what to do in Cozumel and Foulmouth.

Glad to see your review! I pretty much cant swim, I had thought during the snorkeling part I would have to stay on the boat...do they have floating noodles or life jackets for adults? We also booked with Nativeway for our December trip. Thanks for any help

They have life jackets onboard. I believe they are required to have them. They also have masks and snorkels to use.

Nativeway - every time. We have booked with Nativeway on 3 separate occasions. Each time they were great. Twice - the ship cancelled their tours as Stingray City was closed the afternoon before due to windy conditions. Both times our Native Way guide just kept calling until we were cleared to go.

For the non-swimmers - the water is only about chest deep to me and I am 5'4". They do have lifevests if you want/need them as well.

It is an extraordinary experience and I have booked another group with them in Feb 2012.

We are going to cayman next week and are using stingray sailing. We will let you know how it goes. We will be watching the other boats to see how busy they are and will report back.

MasonsDad...please do come back and tell us how Stingray Sailing is. I am curious how they handle the time difference (if any) and the amount of people on the catamaran and snorkling area.

Can't wait to hear back from you.

MasonsDad...please do come back and tell us how Stingray Sailing is. I am curious how they handle the time difference (if any) and the amount of people on the catamaran and snorkling area.

Can't wait to hear back from you.

We used Stingray sailing a few weeks ago and had a fantastic day. They stay on island time so you just need to check that your ship stays on the time of the departure point. In August that meant island time was one hour behind Freedom of the Seas (Port Canaveral) time. Due to Tropical Storm Ernesto there were two extra ships in port (I think) and there were a number of people who were simply added to the tour at the last minute. We were told that the catamaran they use is licensed to hold 40 something but they take a maximum of 29 passengers. On the day we sailed there were 28 passengers and 4 crew. This allowed plenty of space to move around in the shade or in the sun. There were lots of boats at stingray city but we were the only ones at the snorkelling site. The crew were friendly and chillled but also very professional - head counts were done before and after each stop. It was my favourite excursion of the cruise,

We are crushing out of New Orleans and from what I can figure Cayman is on the same time zone as New Orleans. I don't remember when you cruise, but you will have to check but I'm not sure if they use day light savings time or if they are just on standard time. I'll find out.

After some further investigation, Cayman is on EST time zone and by the time you travel in April port canaveral will be back on DST and will be an hour ahead of Cayman time.

Hope this helps.

I will be checking back to report on our day with Stingray Sailing.

We used Stingray sailing a few weeks ago and had a fantastic day. They stay on island time so you just need to check that your ship stays on the time of the departure point. In August that meant island time was one hour behind Freedom of the Seas (Port Canaveral) time. Due to Tropical Storm Ernesto there were two extra ships in port (I think) and there were a number of people who were simply added to the tour at the last minute. We were told that the catamaran they use is licensed to hold 40 something but they take a maximum of 29 passengers. On the day we sailed there were 28 passengers and 4 crew. This allowed plenty of space to move around in the shade or in the sun. There were lots of boats at stingray city but we were the only ones at the snorkelling site. The crew were friendly and chillled but also very professional - head counts were done before and after each stop. It was my favourite excursion of the cruise,

Thank you for the review. Sounds great. I can't wait! One question please. Did they take pictures and have them for sale afterwards? I know one of the excursions did but can't remember which one :confused:

After some further investigation, Cayman is on EST time zone and by the time you travel in April port canaveral will be back on DST and will be an hour ahead of Cayman time.

Hope this helps.

I will be checking back to report on our day with Stingray Sailing.

I'm sailing out of Miami in November. I'll have to double check online the time difference before we leave.

Can't wait to hear how your excursion goes. Have a great time :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok we are back from our cruise and we can honestly say that our day with Chip and the crew of stingray sailing was the best excursion we have ever done. Most of the other boats we saw had 3 to 4 or more times as many people on their boats as we had on ours. We had 14 people on our excursion including our 9 year old, and two small children under 4. We spent 30 to 45 min at stingray city and then went to the reef to snorkel.

The excursion lasted a little over 4 hours, and was the perfect amount of time given you are only in cayman for a short period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done both Moby and Nativeway. We did Moby in 2007 and Nativeway in 2011 (Ray, Reef and Rumpoint). I don't know if Moby has changed, but we were far more impressed with Moby than Nativeway. Moby may have changed, but in 2007 they were great. The stingray experience was about the same with both, but the snorkleing was definitley better with Moby (went to the barrier reef instead of coral gardens). We also spent a lot of time waiting around for Nativeway and even waited 30 min for 2 people who showed up late at the pier. Rum Point was nice. If I were to do it again I would search the current reviews on here and trip advisor, but I would lean toward Moby.

We just got off the Carnival Legend (Tampa, Florida) today. We used Stingray Sailing and had a blast. Grand Cayman was an hour behind ship time. We got into port at 10am EST and was instructed to meet Chip at the port at 10:15 local time (11:15 ship time). We were able to start the tour earlier since the 8 people including the 2 of us were all at the port earlier. The Legend was the only ship in port that day.

The crew consisted of Chip, his dad, and one other gentleman (the catamaran's photographer). There is a bathroom on board. They had complimentary bottled water to drink as well as a cooler of sodas for sale ($2.00 each) and beer for sale as well.

Chip is usually one of the first boats out there. I did see other boats when we were done and some of them had a good number of passengers. I think Chip can only take a maximum of 29. However, as I said before, we only had 8. We had a young girl on our tour about age 9 or 10 and Chip and the photographer were great with her.

There was a another tour group that only had 4 passengers that piggy backed with Chip and our group using Chip's transport to and from the port. I think that group was EcoTours. I think the person who ran that tour is good friends with Chip. He ran the tour in the same manner and based on what I could see, I would recommend them as well.

We had about 45 minutes in the water with the stingrays...and the stingrays outnumbered us by about 3 to 1. I had a waterproof camera and took lots of pictures. But, the photographer also took photos and you could buy the CD right there on the catamaran (the 3 other couples bought the CD). Then we snorkeled for about 45 minutes. They had various types of floating devices is you needed assistance. They also had snorkels/masks/and flippers. There was also a hose that you could rinse off the salt water with. After you were done snorkeling, they had a fruit platter to eat.

Chip knew most of the sting rays intimately by name. Same with the eels when we were snorkeling. I have never snorkeled before...and well, one eel cut short my first snorkeling experience...only because I was scared!! However, Chip knew the eel (there are 3 in that area and this one was the youngest). Those eels associate humans with food...and when I swam towards his home, he would come straight at me looking for food. It made me nervous...again...I have never snorkeled before and I know nothing about sea life. So I went back on the catamaran and Chip explained the personalities of the three eels that tend to hang out in that area.

Chip offered to drop you off at either the Public Beach or Royal Palms (he suggests RP) afterwards (you would then need to get your own transport back to the ship which is not difficult). My friend and I were originally going to to do this option, however, it was raining most of the day. We were hoping it would clear up by the time we would be dropped off but it never did. So we opted to go back to port with every one else.

Chip explained that he constantly is monitoring the conditions over at Stingray City. There has been times when he canceled the tour due to bad conditions and refunded money. Also, there have been times when they started the tour, took the catamaran out and then conditions have changed which causes the cancellation of the rest of tour and he still refunds the money.

I felt very comfortable with Chip and would highly recommend him and his crew. His wife is the office manager and she is very quick to respond to your questions and concerns via email. She usually responds the same day unless they are having problems with their internet.

We just got off the Carnival Legend (Tampa, Florida) today. We used Stingray Sailing and had a blast. Grand Cayman was an hour behind ship time. We got into port at 10am EST and was instructed to meet Chip at the port at 10:15 local time (11:15 ship time). We were able to start the tour earlier since the 8 people including the 2 of us were all at the port earlier. The Legend was the only ship in port that day.

The crew consisted of Chip, his dad, and one other gentleman (the catamaran's photographer). There is a bathroom on board. They had complimentary bottled water to drink as well as a cooler of sodas for sale ($2.00 each) and beer for sale as well.

Chip is usually one of the first boats out there. I did see other boats when we were done and some of them had a good number of passengers. I think Chip can only take a maximum of 29. However, as I said before, we only had 8. We had a young girl on our tour about age 9 or 10 and Chip and the photographer were great with her.

There was a another tour group that only had 4 passengers that piggy backed with Chip and our group using Chip's transport to and from the port. I think that group was EcoTours. I think the person who ran that tour is good friends with Chip. He ran the tour in the same manner and based on what I could see, I would recommend them as well.

We had about 45 minutes in the water with the stingrays...and the stingrays outnumbered us by about 3 to 1. I had a waterproof camera and took lots of pictures. But, the photographer also took photos and you could buy the CD right there on the catamaran (the 3 other couples bought the CD). Then we snorkeled for about 45 minutes. They had various types of floating devices is you needed assistance. They also had snorkels/masks/and flippers. There was also a hose that you could rinse off the salt water with. After you were done snorkeling, they had a fruit platter to eat.

Chip knew most of the sting rays intimately by name. Same with the eels when we were snorkeling. I have never snorkeled before...and well, one eel cut short my first snorkeling experience...only because I was scared!! However, Chip knew the eel (there are 3 in that area and this one was the youngest). Those eels associate humans with food...and when I swam towards his home, he would come straight at me looking for food. It made me nervous...again...I have never snorkeled before and I know nothing about sea life. So I went back on the catamaran and Chip explained the personalities of the three eels that tend to hang out in that area.

Chip offered to drop you off at either the Public Beach or Royal Palms (he suggests RP) afterwards (you would then need to get your own transport back to the ship which is not difficult). My friend and I were originally going to to do this option, however, it was raining most of the day. We were hoping it would clear up by the time we would be dropped off but it never did. So we opted to go back to port with every one else.

Chip explained that he constantly is monitoring the conditions over at Stingray City. There has been times when he canceled the tour due to bad conditions and refunded money. Also, there have been times when they started the tour, took the catamaran out and then conditions have changed which causes the cancellation of the rest of tour and he still refunds the money.

I felt very comfortable with Chip and would highly recommend him and his crew. His wife is the office manager and she is very quick to respond to your questions and concerns via email. She usually responds the same day unless they are having problems with their internet.

I have had nothing but good things to say about Stingray Sailing and I haven't used them yet. Michelle has been very responsive to my emails as I've had a few changes with my group booking.

I have a waterproof camera but was wondering if you know how much the CD was? If its cheap enough, I may just buy it just in case my pics don't come out well. I snorkeled in Grand Turks and between being my first time snorkeling and 1st time using the camera, my pics weren't so great :(

I am so looking forward to my day in Grand Cayman and this excursion. Thanks for the review.

I have had nothing but good things to say about Stingray Sailing and I haven't used them yet. Michelle has been very responsive to my emails as I've had a few changes with my group booking.

I have a waterproof camera but was wondering if you know how much the CD was? If its cheap enough, I may just buy it just in case my pics don't come out well. I snorkeled in Grand Turks and between being my first time snorkeling and 1st time using the camera, my pics weren't so great :(

I am so looking forward to my day in Grand Cayman and this excursion. Thanks for the review.

I am sorry...I did not catch the cost...I don't think it was anymore then $50. The gentleman taking the pictures made sure he got pictures of you and your guests holding the stingrays and kissing them (7 years good luck...since I kissed one 3 times...I am thinking 21 years :D). When you are back on board the catamaran, he shows you the pictures on his computer. If you want to buy, you buy and you get the CD right then and there...if not no worries. It was not intrusive by any means. Also, he keeps the pictures for a little bit, so if you decide later on that you want them...just email him.

I, too, had a difficult time trying to use my camera...my husband bought me the camera a few days before this cruise. Also, I am new to snorkeling. However, I am happy with the pictures I took. Take your camera and use it...also look at the pictures the photographer takes. His pictures were very good. We were just on a budget (as much as one can be on a budget when taking a cruise and we happened to view our Sign and Sail account before we went ashore :eek:).

We just got back from our cruise on the Carnival Magic. We used Moby Dick tours in Grand Cayman for the Stingray/Snorkel trip. It's $45pp, and you can reserve your space online and you pay them that day. They are waiting on the pier.

We had 3 guides on the boat, and about 23 people. They said about 40 is the maximum, but not this time of year because it's kind of the off season for cruisers.

They took us to the reef first to snorkel because the stingray sandbar was already full w/the ships excursions w/100's of people! We got to the reef & there was only 1 other boat there w/about 5 people on it. The reefs are GORGEOUS! We saw so many beautiful fish, and were facinated at the beauty of the reefs. Mark fed the moray eel that hangs out under one of the huge rocks, and that was facinating to watch. The eel was a beautiful purpleish color and looked like a ribbon floating in the water. After about 30-45 minutes we went to the stingray sandbar and most of the other boats had cleared out. We had squid to feed the stingrays, and they come running when they smell it. They are the most interesting animals. Do not be afraid of them! They are like sweet puppies! They know those guides! They will just come right up to them and rest their heads on their chests! The guides taught us how to hold them, and that is an experience you won't forget. Be sure to kiss one for 7 years good luck. I was one of the lucky ones that got "kissed" by one. I was trying to hold one, and I guess I got my arm too close to his mouth and he sucked my arm - real quick like a kiss. Didn't hurt at all. But, it did leave a "hickey" on my arm. They said if you get kissed by one - you get 10 years good luck! So, I got a souvenior hickey plus 17 years good luck - can't beat a deal like that! :)

We interacted with the stingrays for about 30-45 minutes and got back on the boat to head back to shore. They stopped along the way and one of the guides jumped in & brought up a couple of starfish for everyone to see, then they put them back in the water.

Back on the bus, they gave us the choice of going to 7 mile beach (and making our way back to the ship would be on us - by taxi) or being dropped near the pier. They recommended a great fish & chips place (Rackams) with a good view of the ship. We shopped near the port, then got on a tender about 2 and headed back to our ship. We were tuckered out by then!

Would HIGHLY recommend Moby Dick. The were excellent, and did everything they promised and were very punctual. They pay close attention to the time, so no worries about getting back for tenders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Congratulations on your future booking! We just got home from our western Caribbean cruise and we missed all the ugly weather! We had an AMAZING time in Grand Cayman. We booked an excursion (Sun Rays Tours) and it was our favorite of ALL times. This was our 10th cruise and one of our favorite excursions by far! At stingray city we saw the Moby Dick boat and we all commented that we are VERY thankful we booked with who we booked with. Their boat was EXTREMELY crowed and looked uncomfortable. We were on a catamaran with 12 other people. We were treated to sodas and water and pizza! The crew was AMAZING. They were in the water with us and helped up to feed the stingrays, hold the stingrays and took pictures with their cameras and gave them to us free of charge! They did not ask for any tips either. We only paid $50 pp. I will look though the pictures and see if I can find one that shows how crowed the Moby Dick was. To feed the stingrays they were all in a long line and if looked like it the guests were not getting one on one time with the stingrays. Truly just my opinion, but it is an honest one.

Great info. We always opt for the less crowded even if its more money. Moby sounds very crowded.

Archived