Do cruise ships celebrate Melbourne Cup?

Hi,

We are going to be on a cruise to New Zealand departing brisbane and on our way back one of the ship days fall on Melbourne Cup day. Has anyone been on a cruise ship that shows the race, do sweeps or does something special for Melbourne Cup?

Thanks

Hi,

We are going to be on a cruise to New Zealand departing brisbane and on our way back one of the ship days fall on Melbourne Cup day. Has anyone been on a cruise ship that shows the race, do sweeps or does something special for Melbourne Cup?

Thanks

Hi Chooky

Seems that you will be on Sun Princess for your NZ cruise...we have sailed on her twice before and will be on her again for the 2 day quicky when she sails up from Sydney to Brisbane for you to get on board.

Can't exactly answer your question about Melbourne Cup, but what I can say is that Princess does observe Australian customs when appropriate.

When we were on SP a few years back it was during April and we had full blown Anzac Day ceremony, including Dawn Service, a march by diggers on board followed by another service provided by a minister who was invited on board by Princess when we were in Darwin.

I have no doubt that Melbourne Cup will be observed - and if they can the showing of the race on the big screen (MUTS) will be sensational. It works fine even during bright sunlight.

cheers

snip... I can say is that Princess does observe Australian customs when appropriate.

When we were on SP a few years back it was during April and we had full blown Anzac Day ceremony, including Dawn Service, a march by diggers on board followed by another service provided by a minister who was invited on board by Princess when we were in Darwin....snip

Hi we´ll be on Dawn Princess, sailing around Australia next April, so will be on board for Anzac Day. Please can you tell me what to expect for "full blown Anzac Day ceremony"

One year we were on board for Nov 11 Rememberance (Poppy) Day, that was quite a low key affair, conducted in the theatre

Thanks

Sandy in Spain

Hi Sandy

There was quite a bit of preparatory advice in the Patter, which gave the time and place for the Dawn Service... I had intended to go but I had a big night beforehand and unfortunately slept in.

On the day, at about 11am I think, passengers were invited up to Riviera Deck, where they had things set up for a proper service near where the bar is. Printed "Order of Service" were handed out. A bugle was blown, and then marching music introduced a column of about 40-50 vets all decked out in their best attire with plenty of medals. They marched up past the pool to plenty of waving and cheering. A minister, who had boarded at Darwin, then conducted a moving service, followed by singing etc. Then a wreath was cast into the sea - obviously with the Captain's blessing.

I am sure all the Ozzies on board appreciated the fact that Princess facilitated this day, and I am also sure that those from other countries would have been suitably impressed.

I believe "Two up" was conducted out on the Sundowners bar area.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived