what r must sees in Ushaia & Punta Arenas

candance

We are taking a Princess cruise that stops in Ushuaia, Punta Arenas and Puerto Madryn for 1 day each. Any advise on what we should do and see and even better, any recommendations on tour operators for those locations? Candance

In Ushuaia in March 2012 we enjoyed a long morning tour of the town and national park with Mario Miraglia (mariomiraglia@hotmail.com). Mario spoke excellent English and answered many of our questions about life in Argentina. Cost was $US140 for a car that could accommodate 4 passengers. MIght be rather tight with three broad-hipped passengers in the back seat.

We enjoyed an excellent lunch of King crab at a waterfront restaurant followed by a flight from the Ushuaia Aero Club in a four seater aircraft over the Beagle Strait, national park and mountains. Disappointed that we didn't have time for the museum in the old jail.

Fellow cruisers who rode on the tourist train weren't impressed. Very crowded and very rough on the narrow guage track.

In Punta Arenas we took an included tour to an estancia which was very enjoyable.

Enjoy your visit!

Not a full day in each, I assume. How many hours? For example, in Ushuaia a great thing to see is the penguin island, but the local boat tours just dock offshore for viewing of the penguins from the boats-- to actually walk on the island you need to take a longer tour involving a bus and Zodiac inflatable boat, and I assume you won't have time for that). Many people go to the national park outside Ushuaia. There is also a small glacier above the city you can reach by taxi or bus and chairlift or trail. The town itself is rather scenic, and reminds me a little of a small San Francisco (lots of hills). Known for King Crab, though it's very expensive.

Not a full day in each, I assume. How many hours? For example, in Ushuaia a great thing to see is the penguin island, but the local boat tours just dock offshore for viewing of the penguins from the boats-- to actually walk on the island you need to take a longer tour involving a bus and Zodiac inflatable boat, and I assume you won't have time for that). Many people go to the national park outside Ushuaia. There is also a small glacier above the city you can reach by taxi or bus and chairlift or trail. The town itself is rather scenic, and reminds me a little of a small San Francisco (lots of hills). Known for King Crab, though it's very expensive.

We visited Isla Martillo (penguin rookery) from Ushuaia - it is about 85km from Ushuaia to reach Estancia Haberton then a short ride in a covered zodiac (large) to the island. Only 20 people are allowed on the island at a time and there was a maximum of 80 for the day. We were back in Ushuaia in time to have a quick look around and something to eat. Being so close to the penguins was very special. Friends did a hike and canoe excursion and enjoyed that as well.

At Punto Arenas we arranged to go sea kayaking - but it was too rough to actually go in the sea (convenient because I don't think I would have been able to manage a full on paddle).

At Puerto Madryn we went to Peninsula Valdes to see the elephant seals - a long drive but so was the one for those who went to see penguins there.

At Puerto Madryn we went to Peninsula Valdes to see the elephant seals - a long drive but so was the one for those who went to see penguins there.

Did you use a private tour operator to Peninsula Valdes and if so, who. We are planning to go there on our SA cruise next year. Any comments you have to share about that destination would be appreciated!

By apologies SeaTheWorldBySea - I have not been back to this board and so did not see your request.

We used Forestero Tours - we had a young guide plus driver and they supplied a packed lunch. They were very good. They were waiting for us at the dock, with a pretty new van. There were to be 4 of us but in the end my nephew did not come so there were only 3. Sorry I can't remember the actual cost. We paid at the end of the tour from memory. It was a fairly long drive to Peninsula Valdes and then a loop to see several different spots. We also stopped at the information building on the way back. The highlight was the beach with the elephant and fur (?) seals with many babies. We could not walk along the beach though and viewed from the walkway above. We were a little disappointed with the lack of other wildlife as we only saw a herd of guanacos and a few penguins. Whale season had ended. It was very windy and quite cool in early January.

We did have a good day but it certainly was not the highlight of our cruise. We had friends who went to see the penguins and it was also a long day but they enjoyed that (We had booked penguins at Ushuaia so did not do it here).

by apologies seatheworldbysea - i have not been back to this board and so did not see your request.

We used forestero tours - we had a young guide plus driver and they supplied a packed lunch. They were very good. They were waiting for us at the dock, with a pretty new van. There were to be 4 of us but in the end my nephew did not come so there were only 3. Sorry i can't remember the actual cost. We paid at the end of the tour from memory. It was a fairly long drive to peninsula valdes and then a loop to see several different spots. We also stopped at the information building on the way back. The highlight was the beach with the elephant and fur (?) seals with many babies. We could not walk along the beach though and viewed from the walkway above. We were a little disappointed with the lack of other wildlife as we only saw a herd of guanacos and a few penguins. Whale season had ended. It was very windy and quite cool in early january.

We did have a good day but it certainly was not the highlight of our cruise. We had friends who went to see the penguins and it was also a long day but they enjoyed that (we had booked penguins at ushuaia so did not do it here).

Thank You

In Ushuaia in March 2012 we enjoyed a long morning tour of the town and national park with Mario Miraglia (mariomiraglia@hotmail.com). Mario spoke excellent English and answered many of our questions about life in Argentina. Cost was $US140 for a car that could accommodate 4 passengers. MIght be rather tight with three broad-hipped passengers in the back seat.

We enjoyed an excellent lunch of King crab at a waterfront restaurant followed by a flight from the Ushuaia Aero Club in a four seater aircraft over the Beagle Strait, national park and mountains. Disappointed that we didn't have time for the museum in the old jail.

Fellow cruisers who rode on the tourist train weren't impressed. Very crowded and very rough on the narrow guage track.

In Punta Arenas we took an included tour to an estancia which was very enjoyable.

Enjoy your visit!

We, too, will probably be going with Mario next February. How did you arrange for the flight? I'm assuming that it was not part the $140 package?

Thanks.

I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

The Ushuaia Aero Club sign on the hangar at the airport is visible from wharf and town. My husband, a GA (small plane) pilot and president of our local aero club noticed it of course. He asked Mario to take us to the Aero Club at the end of the tour so he could chat to other pilots. We paid Mario a little extra for his time to do this.

After lunch we hailed another taxi to take us back to the Aero Club and did the scenic flight. The flights may not appeal to everyone and may terrify some people. The flights are in tiny, unpressurised four seater aircraft. We are familiar with small plane flights so we were OK.

The Aero Club called a taxi to return us to our ship and Serendipity sent us Mario!

I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

The Ushuaia Aero Club sign on the hangar at the airport is visible from wharf and town. My husband, a GA (small plane) pilot and president of our local aero club noticed it of course. He asked Mario to take us to the Aero Club at the end of the tour so he could chat to other pilots. We paid Mario a little extra for his time to do this.

After lunch we hailed another taxi to take us back to the Aero Club and did the scenic flight. The flights may not appeal to everyone and may terrify some people. The flights are in tiny, unpressurised four seater aircraft. We are familiar with small plane flights so we were OK.

The Aero Club called a taxi to return us to our ship and Serendipity sent us Mario!

Thank you for the information. I have been up in a two-seater and four-seater and had a great time, so imagine I would really enjoy this. Wasn't sure how to arrange this, but will go over when we get there. Thanks again.

We took a ship's tour to the park. It was interesting. Then spent time in the town. I highly recommend the museum in the old jail. It describes the development of the area as a prison colony, including some very prominent political prisoners. Also has information on Antarctic explorations.

Thank you so much for your input on my time in Ushuaia, Punta Arenas and Puerto Madyrn. We are doing a long trek in The Falklands to see penguins so might not want to do another penguin excursion of that length - the National forest sounds good. I appreciate everyone who took the time to help me, Candance

Archived