drop down bed

RunningGirlNL

Hello,

New poster here, but have lurked for a while - and finally have a question! There are three adult women going to be sharing a balcony cabin on the Carnival Ecstacy - which means a drop down bed. Does anyone have any pictures? Or can anyone give feedback on comfort level, ease of access, etc?

Thanks!

Hello,

New poster here, but have lurked for a while - and finally have a question! There are three adult women going to be sharing a balcony cabin on the Carnival Ecstacy - which means a drop down bed. Does anyone have any pictures? Or can anyone give feedback on comfort level, ease of access, etc?

Thanks!

Bring a night light !!!! We made the mistake of booking an inside stateroom on our last cruise. We had 3 of us. One being our son. Well he ended up being a wild sleeper that cruise and after the 1st night slept in the bed with DH.

Which meant...yeppers !! I was sleeping in the upper.

I almost knocked myself unconscious in the middle of the night a few times trying to climb down to get a drink or use the washroom in the dark. The way our room was set up the stairs could only go at the one end of the upper.

I'm 5'3" and it was a comfortable sleep once I was up there!

If I had a nightlight I would have been able to get down easier.

Are you sure you have an upper...most balcony rooms for 3 people have a pull out bed/couch.

Hello,

Thanks!

Here's a pic of a balcony room with the uppers down

thb80543img_2410.jpg.13da633a6855a2f651d8fdf68f787f02.jpg

We had an oceanview cabin on the Ecstasy last year, there were 4 of us, 2 were children....it is VERY tight quarters when the beds are down (we had 2 drop downs. As the above poster said, they are close to the ceiling and if the bed is above the others, you can't really sit up in the others either. Pretty much only one person could be up moving around when the beds were down.

I cruised with my sister and our bestie in October of 10. I can;t find my pics of the room, but ours was not set up like the picture above. We had a couch, and then a drop down bed over that. The two single beds were more towards the "outer door," although we were in a French door cabin on the Miracle, so I don;t know if it makes a difference. I know the upper was down the whole week, and the couch was left as a couch, which made it GREAT for throwing junk on. If you are in a room for 3, you may only have the couch, as a PP stated below. We were booked in a quad room, so it worked out for us. I didn;t feel too cramped in there either. And the balcony will give you a little breathing space as well. Enjoy, and plan a bathroom schedule accordingly! :p

When traveling with Mom and Sis I am the one on top. I bring a six-pocket holder (like a small shoe holder) and hang it on the hook next to the upper. This becomes my nightstand. I got mine at The Dollar Tree. Once I'm up there I only come down for the bathroom.;) Going up is no problem. it's going down.

There are a very limited amount of outlets, usually one 110v and one 220v.

We use the 220v for our dual voltage appliances. Depending on the ship we will bring plug adapters. Some ships use a European round pin and others use a UK slant pin. At this time we only have one hair curler that is 110 only.

Check out the cabin, sometimes the beds can be moved to make more floor space.

If the person in the bunk is in the 5' range there is little danger in hitting her head.

Do the Fantasy Class ships have the little light above/where the bed folds out like the Conquest Class?

On the Paradise, Elation and Inspiration all had lights for the upper bunks.

We had an oceanview cabin on the Ecstasy last year, there were 4 of us, 2 were children....it is VERY tight quarters when the beds are down (we had 2 drop downs. As the above poster said, they are close to the ceiling and if the bed is above the others, you can't really sit up in the others either. Pretty much only one person could be up moving around when the beds were down.

What we have done is have the lowers apart and put one under a bunk and the other under the window. Not too romantic but much more moving around room.

There are three adult women going to be sharing a balcony cabin on the Carnival Ecstacy - which means a drop down bed. Does anyone have any pictures? Or can anyone give feedback on comfort level, ease of access, etc?

I traveled with my 2 best friends, we also are adult women. I got the drop down bed, as I am the youngest (I was 50 at time of sailing). We had an OV cabin, and had the steward keep my bed closed during the day (and I made arrangements with my friends that I would like to be able to sit on their bed during the day (unless they were napping - duh). Getting up was no biggie, getting down, I had to be very conscientious about my footing (I'm small, at about 5'2" and fit). The bed was comfortable, and I was able to sit up in bed (to read for example) and there was a night light up there.

I would say that one in our group would not have made it up there. She's tall and large. The other would have made it up (and down) but uses the restroom a lot and would have annoyed us all night long as I'm sure there would have been several "ouches" along the way! :p

On our next trip together we had a couch, and that was a nice change.

On the Paradise, Elation and Inspiration all had lights for the upper bunks.

The Fascination did as well. Everyday when our steward made up our room he folded the upper into the wall, he pulled it back down when he did turn down service. We didn't have trouble with space though, since we were in a 1A and my friend in the upper is barely 5'.

Insides are great for many reasons.

You are in the sun with 4000 people for the day..........ahhhhh.......quiet....and darkness is nice!

Price is great.

Peaceful.

A "get away from the madness"

You can see the ocean all day and all night out on deck..........

Then go to bed! There are many many many peaceful relaxing spots late day and night to enjoy the ocean!;)

Thank you everyone for your replies and the pictures. The website when we booked said two twins/king and a pull down bed - there's no mention of a sofa. The last time we went, we had the sofa, and that worked fine. Neither of us is short (5 ft 7ish to 5 fit 9), but it sounds like we'll manage. And we've travelled enough together that we have the bathroom routine down pat!

Thanks again for the responses, my mind is eased!

I have always booked inside rooms, and have sailed with 3 adults on 3 occasions....either my mom, sister, friends etc. anyway, we have all thought the pull down bed is too high, to uncomfortable etc. keep it up during the day...at night we just pulled the mattress and blankets off and put it on the floor! Squished it in the corner in front of one of the beds and the vanity. Fit perfectly, no one had to worry about getting up or down. In the morning we would plop the mattress back up there. This worked great for us.

I'm 6ft and 225lbs . I wound up sleeping in the upper bed . It was comfortable . The only issue as some have said is getting down . For those under the upper they need to watch thier head too if they are sitting on the bed and then stand up .

I have always booked inside rooms, and have sailed with 3 adults on 3 occasions....either my mom, sister, friends etc. anyway, we have all thought the pull down bed is too high, to uncomfortable etc. keep it up during the day...at night we just pulled the mattress and blankets off and put it on the floor! Squished it in the corner in front of one of the beds and the vanity. Fit perfectly, no one had to worry about getting up or down. In the morning we would plop the mattress back up there. This worked great for us.

that is a great idea..I never thought of putting the mattress on the floor!

Archived