Overnight bag size restriction?

inkmahm

I was planning to use our regular carryon bag (meets airline regulations) as one of our "overnight" bags for the Princess cruise in Alaska. I'm reading the paperwork that Princess sent and it says the last night of the cruise, they will pick up our luggage. We are to keep only a small 14 x 17 x 4 inch bag with whatever we need for the next morning. That isn't big enough for toiletries, a change of clothes, etc.!! Anyone know why the small size and if I can still use my regular carryon? I think that is 22 x 9 x 14, or something like that.

I guess it's not impossible for things to be different on the ship you are taking but we have never worried about the size of the luggage we keep to disembark with. Since it doesn't go back through a Princess scanner I'm not sure why they would care. We always hold back the two airline carry-ons we have.

Are you talking about the overnight bag for the cruisetour portion? I know that you are limited to a small overnight bag on the train due to the lack of storage space on the train. Most folks use a backpack from what I have read.

Are you talking about the overnight bag for the cruisetour portion? I know that you are limited to a small overnight bag on the train due to the lack of storage space on the train. Most folks use a backpack from what I have read.

Well, my original question was about the last day of the cruise when we get to Vancouver. The paperwork they sent said the bag that we keep on the ship overnight has to be that small size but I want my regular carry on that I'd use on a plane, as it is bigger. This would be the bad left behind after the luggage is taken for disembarking the next day.

Now that you mention it though, I think the regular suitcase that we keep with us goes to each stop along the way from Fairbanks, right? My "big" suitcase, the 26 inch one, will be in Fairbanks, Denali Lodge, McKinley lodge and then Anchorage at the hote there? If that's the case, I have no issue with just taking a small bag on the train that's backpack size for the day.

I guess it's not impossible for things to be different on the ship you are taking but we have never worried about the size of the luggage we keep to disembark with. Since it doesn't go back through a Princess scanner I'm not sure why they would care. We always hold back the two airline carry-ons we have.
That's what I was thinking- what difference would it make if I kept my normal airline carry on bag with me? I can't figure out why the size limit from Princess. I guess it is a "guideline" so I can ignore it.

are you doing your land tour after your cruise?

If you are taking the train in Alaska and staying overnight for just one night in either Denali or MtMcKinley Lodges, you will be allowed to only take one small overnight bag with you.

When we went, we were told it was limited to airline regulation size, which, as you said, is about 22" x 11" x 9". We had one bag that size and one bag that was a soft medium sized back pack. We couldn't fit both under the train seat. My airline carry-on took up the entire space, leaving only room for a very, very small bag - not what we had.

I'm guessing that they had to make clear that every person could not bring an airline size bag - no way would it fit.

If you aren't going on the cruise tour after your cruise though, it doesn't make any sense.

are you doing your land tour after your cruise?

If you are taking the train in Alaska and staying overnight for just one night in either Denali or MtMcKinley Lodges, you will be allowed to only take one small overnight bag with you.

When we went, we were told it was limited to airline regulation size, which, as you said, is about 22" x 11" x 9". We had one bag that size and one bag that was a soft medium sized back pack. We couldn't fit both under the train seat. My airline carry-on took up the entire space, leaving only room for a very, very small bag - not what we had.

I'm guessing that they had to make clear that every person could not bring an airline size bag - no way would it fit.

If you aren't going on the cruise tour after your cruise though, it doesn't make any sense.

We are doing the land first and then the cruise. The only place we are going when we get off the ship in Vancouver is to the hotel there for an extra few nights before we go home.

Thanks for your answer, I think I understand now what we will be doing on the land tour. We have two nights in Fairbanks and then do have just one night at the Denali lodge and two nights at the McKinley lodge before going to Anchorage for a night. For the one night at Denali, we only get to take the airline size bag. That's okay, I'd take that one bag for the two of us, not one for each of us. I think for sure I will take that bag with us afterall.

Archived