Jewish Heritage tour/Curaçao

Being Jewish, I am thrilled anytime I hear about synagogues on Caribbean islands. (We have taken many incredible church tours with friends so it's exciting to visit a house of our own faith.) We were fortunate to visit the synagogue on St. Thomas in February 2004 and hope to do so again next February.

Has anyone taken this tour? We are sailing AOS in February 2006 and would like to hear about it.

On the same note, has anyone participated in Shabbat services on board a ship?

Do we need to bring our own kippot or do the ships generally provide them? Are there challah, candles, and wine?

Thanks.

Being Jewish, I am thrilled anytime I hear about synagogues on Caribbean islands. (We have taken many incredible church tours with friends so it's exciting to visit a house of our own faith.) We were fortunate to visit the synagogue on St. Thomas in February 2004 and hope to do so again next February.

Has anyone taken this tour? We are sailing AOS in February 2006 and would like to hear about it.

Do we need to bring our own kippot or do the ships generally provide them? Are there challah, candles, and wine?

Thanks.

Hi Stargate:

I was in Aruba several years ago during Channukah and went to what is considered one of the oldest Synogogues in the western world...it was beautiful.

We were in Curacao last year for a week but did not source out a Synagogue that time.

When are you on the AOS? We are booked for January 29/06 and will be taking my parents with us. My parents are shomer shabbat and are asking the same questions you are regarding Friday/Saturday services etc.

We were on the Radiance this past February and I did not see any services held at all.....

On the voyager last week there was a book at the desk where you could sign up for Friday services. If enough people sign up, they will have them. It was on the schedule for Friday at 5:15, I think.

Every cruise I have been on had some sort of Friday night Shabbat service. I never attended so I cannot comment on what exactly happens. On one of my friend's cruises, coincidentally, she found out all her tablemates were Jewish. They requested a challah to be placed on their table on Friday night. To everyone's surprise when they sat down for dinner on Friday night there indeed was a challah but what surprised everyone were the multicolored birthday candles stuck inside. They all had a good laugh and enjoyed the challah which my friend said was the freshest and best she has had in a long time.

For those in the dark, a challah is a twisted loaf of egg bread served on Friday night. A lovely blessing is said and the Friday night meal is served. NO candles are ever placed in the challah. The best french toast is made from challah bread.

I've toured the synagogue in Curacao. Wear your sandals, so you can slip them off and wiggle your toes in the sandy floor. Quite unusual. There is a museum attached which is very interesting. The history of the Jews in the Caribbean is very interesting, but population is declining severely. I absolutely recommend it.

We read about that synagogue in a recent Jewish publication, it sounded awesome, maybe we can talk our son into having his Bar Mitzvah there!!!! I would be interested to hear if anybody visits.

I sailed on the Celebrity Constellation last month--and went to the synagogue in Barbados. They say it's the oldest in the Western Hemisphere. It truly was an incredible place. As you walk up--there's the Jewish Cemetary on both sides with the temple in between. The ark--and pictures on the wall were beautiful. It's a bit of a walk from the port--but well worth it--and very safe.

One of my favorite islands in the Caribbean--Barbados is such a great place :)

Hi Startgate,

We've been to Curacao three times - Last time (on AOS - Feb, 2004) we took the Jewish heritage tour - Went to the old Cemetery, a "landhouse"

(summer home) that has been in Jewish hands for many generations - the property is passed from mother to daughter, - the Jewish Museum and the Synagogue.

There were 16 of us in a minibus (driver + guide).

The tour is definitely worth doing if you want to see the cemetery.

You can walk from the Ship to the Museum and Synagogue.

We've been to the Synagogue in St. Thomas - The Last two times on Saturdays - Went there for services.

Royal Caribbean is very good about setting up for Sabbath Services on Friday evenings - A signup book should be available in the library, by the pursar's desk, or the shore exploration desk. (Our last cruise left on a Friday, and they had a service that evening.)

There are either prayerbooks or xeroxed pamphlets of the service, wine, and challah - On our last cruise, we were not allowed to light candles (safety/fire issue) - but I think that may depend on the safety officer on board - We have also had Oneg's as elaborate as any land service (All the "Jewish" food on a buffet - but this seems to have been eliminated in recent years (how much can you eat).

Thanks.

We took this tour in Curacao in January, and it was very enjoyable. The guide was a longstanding member or the Synagogue, and talked a lot about the Jewish heritage of the island. We also visited the Jewish cemetary, as well as an older plantation house which is now a museum of sorts. The synagogue itself was the highlight, however, with it's ornate fixtures and white sand floor. Our tour was through Princess, but our guide indicated that she ran the tours for all the major cruise lines.

Later that same cruise, I had the opportunity to lead Shabbat services -- just make sure you are not the last one there! Princess supplied wine and candles, as well as prayerbooks; we used our own kippot.

We are planning our 1st RCCL cruise this September on the Enchantment, and we are thinking of taking the tour to the Jewish highlights of Saint John (NB). Will we see any of you at Shabbat services on board on September 17?

BTW -- be sure to check out the "Cruising Jewish" thread in the floataway lounge (as well as the Shabbat Services thread on Princess)!

We took this tour in Curacao in January, and it was very enjoyable. The guide was a longstanding member or the Synagogue, and talked a lot about the Jewish heritage of the island. We also visited the Jewish cemetary, as well as an older plantation house which is now a museum of sorts. The synagogue itself was the highlight, however, with it's ornate fixtures and white sand floor. Our tour was through Princess, but our guide indicated that she ran the tours for all the major cruise lines.

Later that same cruise, I had the opportunity to lead Shabbat services -- just make sure you are not the last one there! Princess supplied wine and candles, as well as prayerbooks; we used our own kippot.

We are planning our 1st RCCL cruise this September on the Enchantment, and we are thinking of taking the tour to the Jewish highlights of Saint John (NB). Will we see any of you at Shabbat services on board on September 17?

BTW -- be sure to check out the "Cruising Jewish" thread in the floataway lounge (as well as the Shabbat Services thread on Princess)!

I'm originally from Nova Scotia and have visited Saint John on many occasions, the area is rich with Jewish Heritage. You will enjoy that tour :)

I have been on 8 cruises including Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America, Radisson and Celebrity. All have provided Kippot, Challah, Wine, Candles and Prayer Books for Shabbat. Attendance has been between 3 and 80 people. Look in your daily Compass for time and place. Some ships are now having advance signups for services.

Hi backatcha, ckrobyn.

I did not know there was a synagogue on Aruba also. Cool! That is our first port, so I hope to check it out.

We are on AOS 2/26/06. That is school vacation for southern NH. We'll miss you by a month.

Wow, shomer Shabbat. That is wonderful. I bet your parents will have no problem with that. Do they keep kosher also?

Let me know what you discover when you get back. I know it's a long time, but we'll connect again.

Hi Stargate:

I was in Aruba several years ago during Channukah and went to what is considered one of the oldest Synogogues in the western world...it was beautiful.

We were in Curacao last year for a week but did not source out a Synagogue that time.

When are you on the AOS? We are booked for January 29/06 and will be taking my parents with us. My parents are shomer shabbat and are asking the same questions you are regarding Friday/Saturday services etc.

We were on the Radiance this past February and I did not see any services held at all.....

Oh, I will definitely look for that come February.

Thanks.

On the voyager last week there was a book at the desk where you could sign up for Friday services. If enough people sign up, they will have them. It was on the schedule for Friday at 5:15, I think.

Oh, to have a Bar Mitzvah on an island. How incredible would that be!!!

My sons both had their bar mitzvahs already, so it is too late for us. But I can help you plan and live vicariously through you!! :D

We read about that synagogue in a recent Jewish publication, it sounded awesome, maybe we can talk our son into having his Bar Mitzvah there!!!! I would be interested to hear if anybody visits.

Oh, my sons are not going to be happy if we spend our entire cruise going from synagogue to synagogue. :eek: But, hey, it's our heritage. When they take their families on cruises they can decide what to see and do.

Ooh, what a mean Jewish mother!

I sailed on the Celebrity Constellation last month--and went to the synagogue in Barbados. They say it's the oldest in the Western Hemisphere. It truly was an incredible place. As you walk up--there's the Jewish Cemetary on both sides with the temple in between. The ark--and pictures on the wall were beautiful. It's a bit of a walk from the port--but well worth it--and very safe.

One of my favorite islands in the Caribbean--Barbados is such a great place :)

The St. John's Jewish Heritage Tour...

Okay. So we went on this last year. There were about 25 of us on the tour, which apparently doubled the Jewish Population of the town...

It was pretty imformative -- the tour guide was a guy in his 40's who grew up in St. Johns, and went on to tell us about how it used to be a thriving Jewish communities... pointed out where stores used to be on main street.. showed us where his high school was.

Then we went to the Jewish Historical Museum and synagogue, where we learned that the Jewish population of St. Johns is dying. They might have to sell this beautiful temple they have that is a converted church because the congregation now only has like 10 active people and they can no longer afford to heat the building. They showed us a 20 minute movie about how all the Jews are leaving because they are moving to more metropolitan cities to go to college and not coming back.

Then, they took us to the cemetary so we could visit the Jews that had died.

we commented that only Jews would take a tour such as this while on vacation. I was so depressed coming back to the ship. ;)

I have found this thread very interesting. I am not Jewish, but have always been intrigued with learning about cultures, religions, etc. different from my own. I was curious about shomer shabbat. Can someone tell me what that means? Maybe Robyn? Thank you!

Bonnie, How do you like Texas. I have lots of friends and family in North Dallas area, so let me know if you need any suggestions for anything.

Hi Howard, Thanks so much for the offer of advice. I'm here 18 mos., joined Hadassah, a synagogue and loving it here. I could know your friends and family. LOL My DH and DD love it as well. The best part of living here is that we get to drive down to Galveston to board our cruise. No airplanes. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha. (did I say that with the right Texan inflection? lol)

If any of you are sailing with me on the Rhapsody on July 3rd and have not already done so, please, please sign up for our Meet and Mingle!

We went to the synagogue on our own in Curacao. It is pretty easy to get to, and there is a museum there, as well. Is there an organized excursion to the synagogue? I think it is something you can do on your own. We also visited the old synagogue in Barbados, and it was beautiful.

As far as Shabbat services, I never attended them, but have attended Hannukkah services on 2 different ships. It really depends on the staff with respect to what is offered, and I don't believe they will hold services if there is not a minyan. For Hannukkah on Explorer, I would say over 600 people filled the theater for the lighting of the Menorah. There was a Cantor, and everyone was singing the traditional songs. They served wine, donuts and latkes.

I have found this thread very interesting. I am not Jewish, but have always been intrigued with learning about cultures, religions, etc. different from my own. I was curious about shomer shabbat. Can someone tell me what that means? Maybe Robyn? Thank you!
This means literally to guard or watch over the Sabbath. Someone who is Shomer Shabbat would observe all the restrictions, such as no driving, no turning on lights or heat (although they can be turned on before Shabbat, and then left on for the duration...), no using the phone...an so on.

we commented that only Jews would take a tour such as this while on vacation. I was so depressed coming back to the ship. ;)
I know what you mean! The town where I work also has a tiny old beautiful synagogue, but there is no longer a Jewish community to support it. I have to drive to Duluth to go to services (about 1 hour away), so this is a sad fact of life in smaller communities....

Thanks for the information MonaCK and ckrobyn!

The St. John's Jewish Heritage Tour...

Okay. So we went on this last year. There were about 25 of us on the tour, which apparently doubled the Jewish Population of the town...

It was pretty imformative -- the tour guide was a guy in his 40's who grew up in St. Johns, and went on to tell us about how it used to be a thriving Jewish communities... pointed out where stores used to be on main street.. showed us where his high school was.

Then we went to the Jewish Historical Museum and synagogue, where we learned that the Jewish population of St. Johns is dying. They might have to sell this beautiful temple they have that is a converted church because the congregation now only has like 10 active people and they can no longer afford to heat the building. They showed us a 20 minute movie about how all the Jews are leaving because they are moving to more metropolitan cities to go to college and not coming back.

Then, they took us to the cemetary so we could visit the Jews that had died.

Not so re: "only Jews would take a tour such as this while on vacation"...I am not Jewish but am very interested in a Jewish heritage tour on one of the islands. I have never been inside a temple and am curious about any aspect of the religion of the Bible.

We are going back to Curacao and Barbados Nov 05 God willing, and this thread has provided an idea for an enriching, meaningful tour...thanks.

Archived