Tri-Rail Transportation

nowake

As anyone use the Tri-Rail to go from FLL to MIA. The fare as I recall is very reasonable. Anyone know of any FLL hotels that are close to the rail system. I wondered how far it is to the port of Miami from the train station and if you can get cab service. We are getting into FLL late the day before our cruise and would take the train the next day.

As anyone use the Tri-Rail to go from FLL to MIA. The fare as I recall is very reasonable. Anyone know of any FLL hotels that are close to the rail system. I wondered how far it is to the port of Miami from the train station and if you can get cab service. We are getting into FLL late the day before our cruise and would take the train the next day.

The Marriott Courtyard in Dania Beach as well as the Fairfield Inn and Homewood Suites are all adjacent to the Dania Beach Tri-Rail station. In fact, you would be able to walk to the train station from any of these hotels. If you take the Tri-Rail to Miami, you will get off at Miami International Airport and will have to take a cab from there to the port of Miami. This, to me, would be very inconvenient as the airport is quite a bit west of the port. Also, there are other variables to consider such as: What day (would it be a Sunday with infrequent trains?) you would be taking the train, the fact that the trains are often late, how much luggage you'll have, cab fare from MIA to POM runs at least $25 one way, etc. How many are in your party? You may be better off booking a car/van service from your hotel to the port. Even if it costs a bit more, if it spares you the hassle of the train, it may be well worth it. I have taken the Tri-rail to MIA from the Dania Beach station, and I can't imagine doing it with luggage.

Actually from Tri-Rail, the best way would be to transfer to Metrorail then take Metrorail South to Government Center then taxi the last bit for about $10.00

Tri-Rail is a commuter train, its not the great on the weekends, this trip could take 2-3 hours.

Tri-Rail is a commuter train, its not the great on the weekends, this trip could take 2-3 hours.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I do not have the name of(or personal experience with) any reputable transportation companies. Hopefully, someone else reading this forum does. To the OP: Do a search on this forum for transport companies, as I have read about several on here, but I can't remember the names.

I had considered the tri rail for our trip in Dec as well. I think I have talked myself out of it for some of the reason mentioned on here also. Traveling with luggage and kids and an impatient husband. I don't think all of the transferring from shuttle to train to cab with luggage and kids is going to make it worth it. Also, I am reading about how transfers from FLL to POM and back to FLL have to originate in FLL. So, if you are going to be taking a shuttle back to FLL for a flight back home, you have to book the original transfer from FLL to POM in order to go back to FLL. I THINK that is accurate and I hope that makes sense. If anyone else can verify or clarify, much appreciated!

Also, I am reading about how transfers from FLL to POM and back to FLL have to originate in FLL. So, if you are going to be taking a shuttle back to FLL for a flight back home, you have to book the original transfer from FLL to POM in order to go back to FLL. I THINK that is accurate and I hope that makes sense. If anyone else can verify or clarify, much appreciated!

Nope that is not correct. You can book a shuttle from FLL to POM. And you can book a shuttle back from POM to FLL. I think you are referring to a certain shuttle company's permit restriction that can not do Miami to Miami trips (POM to a Miami Hotel as an example). But even that company would be happy to pick you up from POM to FLL.

Most of the shuttles are running $15 per person from FLL or a FLL hotel to POM and the same in reverse. It is really easy that way and probably not that much more if you include the hassle factor and the fact you'll get there on time.

You may also look at rental cars, since a couple of the rental car companies have shuttles from their drop-off to POM. Hertz has a downtown location with a shuttle. Some of the others will shuttle you from the airport. You may need to call and ask.

I would like to ask the OP'S question in reverse.

How easy is it to get the tri rail from MIA to FLL? We will be arriving at MIA but are sailing from FLL and are considering staying in fort lauderdale the night before our cruise. Any ideas or tips?

Thanks in advance

book a shuttle service..unless you are a super light packing traveler....it is not really luggage friendly and IMO not worth the savings.....

lots of transportation companies are mentioned on this board...maybe QLS, SAS or floridalimo.com

book a shuttle service..unless you are a super light packing traveler....it is not really luggage friendly and IMO not worth the savings.....

lots of transportation companies are mentioned on this board...maybe QLS, SAS or floridalimo.com

Thanks for the info. It will be my wife and I with 1 regular suitcase and carry on each.

What is the typical cost of a shuttle service?

Thanks for the info. It will be my wife and I with 1 regular suitcase and carry on each.

What is the typical cost of a shuttle service?

that i am not 100% sure on...i would think that someone will pop on here and have that info.....

it can be cost saving, but sometimes it's late-especially weekends.....and the frequency isn't as often...

Archived