Madonna of Civitavecchia

Cloudyrain

On our Rome day we are planning on staying at Port as we are going on a separate holiday to Rome in the winter months when it's less busy. I have found that there is statue of the Virgin Mary that cried blood (in 1995) and it's something I really want to visit. Has anyone else made the trip to find it? I can't find the church on the map (S. Agostino, although there seem to be loads of different spellings/translations) and the address I found for the church that supposedly has it on display doesn't exist! On the official Civitiavecchia website they mention it, but don't have details of where/when it can be visited (unless I'm looking on the wrong place, but I think I have looked at everything!).

Anyone know what I'm on about!

The church is about four and a half miles north of the port. If you make a google map with these coordinates (42.145575,11.762361) and go to street view, you'll see the sign for the church turn off on the main road (Via U. Fontanatetta). You can see a crude map on this site (http://www.dhost.info/civitavecchia/psarivis2012gf.html) toward the bottom of the page under the heading "come arrivare alla Madonna".

According to this site (http://www.dhost.info/civitavecchia/psaora.html) the church is open for visits Monday - Saturday from 6:15 AM until 10 PM (!) and 7 AM unti 10 PM on Sundays and it does not close during the day.

They do give a phone number to confirm opening times: (+39) 0766 560185

Carole - yes it is, only 16", which is why I think it isn't a very well known pilgrimage when compared to the vast array of things much larger in Rome! I had google walked (gwalked?) down many different streets around Civitavecchia because google maps doesn't show Panatona or the S.Agostino. Thank you for the article though, I love reading different things about stuff that interests me :D

Eurocruiser - that is just what I wanted to know, I tried google maps before but i think a lot of my problems were due to translation confusion meaning my search was taking me in the wrong direction! That is very helpful - thank you! :D

CC members save the day again! :D

Archived