Master Mixology Contestants

ComeSailWithME

Where did you sign up? How do they select you? What options were available for making your drinks?

You sign up on the lido deck, usually the day you sail. Details for signup will be listed in the Fun Times when you get on board.

You'll get a sheet of paper with the ingredients and you must select those ingredients and a name for your drink and bring it to a meeting with the CD and a bartender before the contest. If you don't go to the meeting, you'll be disqualified.

The ingredients allowed are:

Total of TWO shots of liquor only...

Rum, tequila or vodka.

Melon liqueur, peach schnapps, blackberry brandy, apricot brandy, raspberry liqueur, creme de banana, creme de cacao, creme de menthe, butterscotch schnapps, blue curacao, and triple sec.

Also, cranberry, pineapple and orange juices, sweet and sour mix,

pina colada mix, strawberry daiquari mix, or banana daiquari mix. No soft drink mixers were allowed.

Make the drink STRONG - I competed on my last Carnival cruise and lost to someone who did overpours on the shots.

Also, plan on being a little flamboyant - dance, shake your booty - whatever. You want the attention to get the votes.

Signup on the Pride was on the LIDO the day after sail-away at 1:00, it's posted in the fun-times only 1x the first day,,, and they only take the first 5 contestants, if you want to do it, make sure you're there early enough. And agree with the above, the stronger the better. U can make frozen drinks, but on the rocks usually wins.

My husband was a contestant in July. While not rigged, the contest is decided before the competition. It doesn't matter if you make your drinks strong or not.

At the practice meeting, held a few hours before the contest, the head bartender and another officer (I don't remember her title) went over the recipes and likely decided which drink would sell the best. I assume contestant enthusiasm and demeanor plays into this somewhat, but I'm unsure. If I were cynical, I'd say the drink name was more important than what happens at the contest as they are trying to sell the drink to people that never saw the contest.

At the contest, they pull an audience member to be a judge. They get to taste all five drinks. This would be the job I wanted! ;-) However, talking to her afterward, her input wasn't even solicited.

So, come up with a good, sellable drink recipe, a great name and hope for the best.

You sign up on the lido deck, usually the day you sail. Details for signup will be listed in the Fun Times when you get on board.

You'll get a sheet of paper with the ingredients and you must select those ingredients and a name for your drink and bring it to a meeting with the CD and a bartender before the contest. If you don't go to the meeting, you'll be disqualified.

The ingredients allowed are:

Total of TWO shots of liquor only...

Rum, tequila or vodka.

Melon liqueur, peach schnapps, blackberry brandy, apricot brandy, raspberry liqueur, creme de banana, creme de cacao, creme de menthe, butterscotch schnapps, blue curacao, and triple sec.

Also, cranberry, pineapple and orange juices, sweet and sour mix,

pina colada mix, strawberry daiquari mix, or banana daiquari mix. No soft drink mixers were allowed.

Make the drink STRONG - I competed on my last Carnival cruise and lost to someone who did overpours on the shots.

Also, plan on being a little flamboyant - dance, shake your booty - whatever. You want the attention to get the votes.

So one shot of rum/tequila/vodka and one shot of the secondary liquors? Or two shots of rum/tequila/vodka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So one shot of rum/tequila/vodka and one shot of the secondary liquors? Or two shots of rum/tequila/vodka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two shots total. So one primary, one secondary - or any other combination. LOL someone in my contest did Vodka and Tequila. Sounds disgusting to me.

My husband was a contestant in July. While not rigged, the contest is decided before the competition. It doesn't matter if you make your drinks strong or not.

While each ship (and for that matter, each cruise) may be different, when I was a judge, we totally decided on the spot who the winner was. The judges were myself, another female audience member and one of the entertainment staff. We picked the best-tasting drink that we all agreed on. The entertainment staff guy didn't push particularly hard for any one drink. It was totally fair, in my opinion, and a really fun experience! So glad I got to do it! :D

The judges were myself, another female audience member and one of the entertainment staff.

That's interesting. The entertainment staff wasn't involved in the judging for my husband's contest. The assistant cruise director just hosted the show.

The winning drink was something with banana liqueur and rum.

Just got off the Miracle and my drink was the winner. Sign-up was during Sail Away (they take the first 5 people) and that is when you have to tell them the name of your drink and pick the ingredients.

They sent a letter to my cabin telling where (lido) and when to meet. The DJ, Activities Director and 1 passenger were the judges. There was no practice meeting before the competition. You just show up and they give you the list of ingredients you picked and you do the measuring. I think we were able to pick up to three from each category.

Primary Liquor

Secondary Liqueurs

Mixers

Having the most alcohol or a colorful drink isn't a sure win. I made a frozen drink that was the color of a Pina Colada.....your drink needs to taste good to be winner. A catchy name also helps.

I had a family member who was a contestant in the contest in June, and as stated above, the judges are picked from the passengers (3), and decided by on the spot on the Miracle, so on this ship it wasn't picked beforehand or rigged. I tasted several of the drinks, and the true one won.

Just out of curiousity....what is the prize for the winner???

Winner gets: A ship on a stick, 2 bar coupons, and a bottle of champagne. The winning drink is the ships drink of the week and the drink name and winners name are printed in the Fun Times everyday for the entire cruise. And of course, the winner gets bragging rights. lol

Archived