Calling All Mediterranean Cruisers on the Liberty - Tuxedo question/poll

To Tux or Not To Tux - that is the question  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To Tux or Not To Tux - that is the question

• Yes - I am bringing my tux or renting one and will actually wear it
    • Yes - will bring a tux or rent one but, am going to see what everyone else is doing first
    • No - Just wearing a suit
    • No - Just wearing my birthday suit :D (Let's hope not!!!) :D

My husband would like to bring his tuxedo (yes ladies, I have one of the few men out there who not only owns a tux but willing wears it) on the Carnival Liberty for our European Cruise. We know Carnival is a bit more laid back and that men tend to wear suits opposed to a tuxedo. However, we're assuming there will be more than a handful of Europeans on this cruise and they tend to dress more formally. So, we're debating whether or not to pack it - we already will have a lot of clothes since we have 12 nights on the cruise plus 3 pre-cruise nights in Rome.

So guys, what are you doing? Suits or Tuxedos for formal nights?

If I can loose the 14-15 lbs which is my goal, I'll take it. Otherwise just a suit.--

Wore the tux at my sons wedding Nov. 13th, but the Spirit in Jan, and the Adventure of the Seas in March moved me up on the scale and I can't get back!;) Only 2 formal nights on a 12 nighter. That's good news.

My husband would like to bring his tuxedo ....

I am not going on your cruise, but if I were I would bring mine. He should take it, especially since he would like to do so. (Yes I have a black and a white tux and I do wear them on each and every cruise I go on. I even wear them on nights that are not formal night, just because I like to look good.)

We too are not going with you but have sailed Carnival, Celebrity, RCI etc. and done a 12 night Med cruise plus pre-stay. My vote is for him to bring the tux. You will have 3 formal nights (2 shirts will work well). Formal nights are just as formal in Europe as on other itineraries and on Carnival especially a brand new ship. Don't fret about too much clothes; keep the colors to black, tan, navy and coordinate pieces and shoes. You will probably do room service or buffet dining at least one night as you will be very tired. Plan to rinse out t-shirts if necessary. Black strapey sandals will do well with formal and smart casual. Bring very comfortable shoes with rubber soles for touring. American's wear white sneakers! If you are going to the Vatican, a skirt or capri outfit is nice. Your shoulders (ladies) must be covered so a light jacket (air conditioning on bus) is recommended. Plan on wearing somethings more than once. It really can be done. I liked jumpers with t's= Smart casual for day or evening wear.

Bon Voyage

We will be on Liberty 9/18/05. My husband has a tux, is willing to wear it easily, but the air, weight and dragging extra clothes just seems too much. We may retink, but, as of today, suit it is and a navy blue blazer w/gray or tan slacks. Enough is enough. Carnival is laid back, but neat is neat. Enjoy trip no matter what---------Taco

I just bought my DH a suit last cruise as he felt renting a tux every time was a waste of money. But, he sure looked good. He wants to take the suit but, due to air I'm not sure. But than again if I do he can wear it everynight and always look nice. Hummmmmmmmmmmm

NanaTravel - I'm glad you brought up the point about the Vatican - we are indeed going but, I've been very confused about the acceptable dressing code. I was under the impression that slacks/capris were a no-no for women (I know shorts and tube tops/tank tops are an absolute no-no <not that I'd wear them anyhow>). Anyhow would you please elaborate - are you saying that I can wear capris? That is going to make my life so much easier if the answer is yes. :D

I will not be on your sailing either but if it were me , I would bring it as I have both the black tux and white dinner jacket.

I also bring with me a sport coat for a more casual dining and if I could find a nice suit in my size cheaper than 200.00 I would wear and bring that also.

12 day cruises are great but remember you can cut down on the amount of clothes you bring they do have Laundry facilities onboard not to mention a laundry service (although rather expensive)

My husband would like to bring his tuxedo (yes ladies, I have one of the few men out there who not only owns a tux but willing wears it) on the Carnival Liberty for our European Cruise. We know Carnival is a bit more laid back and that men tend to wear suits opposed to a tuxedo. However, we're assuming there will be more than a handful of Europeans on this cruise and they tend to dress more formally. So, we're debating whether or not to pack it - we already will have a lot of clothes since we have 12 nights on the cruise plus 3 pre-cruise nights in Rome.

Just curious, do you plan to go to the dining room every night? Im on the 14 day transatlantic in April and debating how many nights, I will skip the dining room. I know Im going the first night and for formal.

my husband "outgrew" his tux--so, we have rented the std black tux.

21 month old son will wear black tux with tails. . .

daughter and myself--black floor length gown

will take family photo for our christmas cards (not often we get cleaned up like this. . .)

We are on the Liberty 8/13/05, DH will be wearing his Mess Dress...it is the Air Force uniform equivalent of a Tux. He has never needed a tux so he doesn't own one. The second formal night he will wear a suit. If we weren't driving from the Germany, we probably would have skipped the Mess Dress due to weight restricitions flying.

Kelly

Archived