Any Insurance that covers if my In-Laws have issues that keep us from going

SandS204ever

So my wife and I are about to book our honeymoon cruise, however her parents are starting to have a lot more health issues. We are worried booking this far in advance (mid december cruise) that something may happen between now and then. Is there any kind of insurance we could get that would cover our trip if we had to cancel because of them?

So my wife and I are about to book our honeymoon cruise, however her parents are starting to have a lot more health issues. We are worried booking this far in advance (mid december cruise) that something may happen between now and then. Is there any kind of insurance we could get that would cover our trip if we had to cancel because of them?

You need one with pre-existing conditions waiver that covers family not traveling with you, or Cancel for Any Reason.

If your main concern is having to cancel before you leave AND you have pretty good insurance that covers you out of network, one of ther Policy's with the cruise line could work for you. The Celebrity policy gives you 75% back in cruise credit if you cancel for any reason within the penalty period and Holland America Lines Platinum gives you 95% back on your credit card within penalty but before 30 days, and 90% back (no questions asked) between 1-30 days before departure. Both only have 10K in medical. The HAL policy also covers pre-existing and can be bought at final payment. You did not say which cruise line.

If in the US or Canada CSA freestyle can be bought at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions including famly members not traveling with you.

You need one with pre-existing conditions waiver that covers family not traveling with you, or Cancel for Any Reason.

If your main concern is having to cancel before you leave AND you have pretty good insurance that covers you out of network, one of ther Policy's with the cruise line could work for you. The Celebrity policy gives you 75% back in cruise credit if you cancel for any reason within the penalty period and Holland America Lines Platinum gives you 95% back on your credit card within penalty but before 30 days, and 90% back (no questions asked) between 1-30 days before departure. Both only have 10K in medical. The HAL policy also covers pre-existing and can be bought at final payment. You did not say which cruise line.

If in the US or Canada CSA freestyle can be bought at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions including famly members not traveling with you.

A third option is to choose a plan that only applies the pre-existing condition exclusion to those in the traveling party, not to non-traveling family members. Travelex has several plans that are this way. This is a very consumer-friendly way to handle this as it does not place a burden on the insured to be aware of the health situation with these non-traveling family members.

From their plan wording:

"Pre-existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Domestic Partner, Business Partner or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with you:"

Thanks guys, we will be cruising with Carnival and I planned to call them this evening to find out if they have anything that will help. In-Laws are in their late 80's so everthing is pre existing lol.

Good to know there is coverage for pre-existing non traveling family.

• 1 month later...
A third option is to choose a plan that only applies the pre-existing condition exclusion to those in the traveling party, not to non-traveling family members. Travelex has several plans that are this way. This is a very consumer-friendly way to handle this as it does not place a burden on the insured to be aware of the health situation with these non-traveling family members.

From their plan wording:

"Pre-existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Domestic Partner, Business Partner or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with you:"

Thank you so much for this information, Cruiseco. I almost bought the trip insurance from my big box store, when I remembered reading this an checked the fine print. They do apply the pre-existing exclusion to family members NOT traveling with you, which is not what I want at all with 2 sets of aging parents. I really appreciate all the help and advice that you (and so many others) share in this forum.

Archived