Need help with airfare.

rarodg2

I have been searching for about a month for a good rate for airfare from Lexington, Ky to Miami, Fl. However, I am having no luck. We aren't going on our cruise until Jan. 2006. Is it still too early to get a good rate? Or is it going to be about $300 per person round trip? To me that just seems high. Thanks for all your help.

Rebecca

Hi rebecca,

I found a site that is quoting $234 plus tax. here's the catch. I found really low airfare for my flight too, but I'm not sure this site is on the level. You know, if it's too good to be true it probably is. The site is besttix.net and I have not found anybody else that has used them. So I'm a little aprehensive. Let me know if you do.

Delta most likely will have to file Chap 11 for bankruptcy protection, in the third or fourth quarter, through some kind of reorganization. That does not mean immediate shut down. Example, United has been in bankruptcy for almost three years. However, Delta's debt load is staggering, so the future is cloudy at best.

This site has some attractive features in that one only needs to specify the airport pairs and dates once, but it lacks some important features that may be useful to consider if one is not a very frequent traveler. Also, while in includes some of the popular search engines, it in no way includes ALL the search engines that exist. One potentially useful feature that it lacks, is the ability to check for flights to and from nearby airports. For example, rather than just specifying Lexington, Ky one may want to at least look at what the options are from Louisville or Cincinnati. Likewise, many cruisers leaving from the Port of Miami opt to fly to Fort Lauderdale rather than MIA. These options are not easily done with Booking Buddy. Similarly, it may be tempting to use the Orbitz site without realizing that airlines like Southwest or jetBlue are not included. The site does provide links to these sites, but one must first realize that such airlines are not included in the search engines provided. Lastly, some may be interested in looking at options for traveling the day before as well as the day of. Again, this is not easily done with Booking Buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure that you have travel insurance that covers the possibility of Delta or whichever airline cancelling your flight for whatever reason. Then you at least can buy seats on another airline and not lose your money.

Be sure that you have travel insurance that covers the possibility of Delta or whichever airline cancelling your flight for whatever reason. Then you at least can buy seats on another airline and not lose your money.

You MUST buy travel insurance BEFORE the possibility of bankruptcy or shutdown. There are at least two and maybe 3 major airlines on the "no coverage" list with almost all insurance companies. I know everyone hates to do this, but if you really expect your travel insurance to pay off, READ the FINE PRINT BEFORE you buy the policy.

Go to insuremytrip.com to checkout and compare travel insurance. I went with travelex and I made sure it covered airline bankruptcy AND strikes the airline sometimes have. They do have a list of airlines that you need to look at before you buy that it WILL NOT cover. Once you buy you have 14 days to wait before they will cover you. After that 14 days you will be covered. Hope this helps.

Ok, now you have me nervous. I am booked on Delta Song for our return flight home on Nov. 27. Do I need to be concerned. Michelle

No, your travel insurance will cover. Delta is NOT in bankruptcy currently, so still on the covered list. US Air and United are two which have NO coverage on most policies in event of strike or shutdown. You should be just fine with your Song flight.

I have been searching for about a month for a good rate for airfare from Lexington, Ky to Miami, Fl. Rebecca

Hey rarodg2,

Nice to see another KY girl!! I used to live in Nicholasville . . . then Lex before moving further east!!!!

Check flight prices daily and for all surrounding airports . . . I know I was checking Huntington, Lex, Lou and Cincy. Travelocity has an email notification you can sign up for that will tell you when prices drop. What's REALLY NICE is that you can specify the price drops you want to be notified about and can have it check all these different departure locations.

Just be patient also. We are looking for flights from St Louis to MIA and Charlotte to MIA in December (mom & I coming from diff. cities). Right now all the online specials are only until the end of October. I figure if I'm patient a few more weeks, the specials will open up through the first part of December and I'll be able to get those flights. I do check a few times daily though as prices can change hourly it seems. Also, with ours mom will only fly on a larger plane, so we only have the option of flying out of STL for her. We have our hotel in MIA at the airport already (got a deal I really couldn't pass up) so that leaves our FLL too.

If you ignore all my rambling, I guess my main suggestion would be to just be patient.:)

Archived