Port of Charleston

quiet1p

I hope it gets approved. We found getting thru the parking lot to get checked in, to parking, to boarding was wonderful. The port workers were all so friendly and the process was quick. Parking in the old warehouse wasn't bad and a less than 5 minute total bus ride across the street was painless. Then we wondered what happens on the way back. Get into a bus pulling a trailer, luggage for us tossed in, across the road we go. Let out in the warehouse and on the road .

A+ for Charleston!!

I hope it gets approved. We found getting thru the parking lot to get checked in, to parking, to boarding was wonderful. The port workers were all so friendly and the process was quick. Parking in the old warehouse wasn't bad and a less than 5 minute total bus ride across the street was painless. Then we wondered what happens on the way back. Get into a bus pulling a trailer, luggage for us tossed in, across the road we go. Let out in the warehouse and on the road .

A+ for Charleston!!

Well, I am glad it works well for those driving, those of us that did hotel shuttle or taxi, they make you take all your luggage, by yourself, out the bldg and a long walk to the street to catch a ride. Very hard to find an available porter, then if you do, they can only walk you to the fence area of the sidewalk and then you still have to carry your stuff to the road or taxi stand, very poor ending to a wonderful cruise. I will be driving to port Canaveral next cruise.

Environmentalist and Preservationist are really fighting this. Main issue is the Historic District. If approved, may be in Court for a while.

The REAL issue is rich developers, hiding behind environmentalist and preservationist groups.

A huge part of this project, is turning, the ugly dock areas, east of the new terminal, into walkways and parks, to connect with the battery area. (which overlooks the bay and Fort Sumter)

The developers would rather turn this area into deluxe condos, rather than park areas for residents.

It is a shame that the handful of people fighting the new terminal, are rich enough to keep fighting.

The plans for the new terminal and park area are great.

It is truly a shame.

Sadly the American legal system is so slanted to the rich.

Bill

bguppies you've got it right, I also like to add the people who go to these hearings are the extremely rich property owners who live downtown seasonally and don't like the added traffic. That stance makes me sick. I also agree that the plans for the downtown market area terminal are more than satisfactory for the Charleston historical society. The cruise ships don't cause any more harm that the thousands of cargo ships we get every year.

bguppies - Carnival is not allowed to us the PA system while in port. When debarking the last day, you tune to Channel 17 on the TV. We also noticed when we got off the ship the last day just a few lights on the ship were turned on. Sad, as I'm sure some people appreciate the jobs & revenue.

Archived