Galveston or New Orleans?

CruisinMermaid

My family and I are trying to decide on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise to Grand Caymans, Cozumel and Montego Bay. Carnival offers departure ports from Galveston, Texas and New Orleans, Louisianna. I personally feel New Orleans would be a better port to sail out of just because it's easier to get to from the airport. I read somewhere on here that the Port in Galveston is a good 40 miles away from the airport and would cost us a pretty penny to pay for transportation from the airport and back. We are flying out of San Diego to whichever port we decide on. What is your opinion? We wanted to fly in a day early and do some site seeing around town before boarding the ship the next day.

Houston has two airports - Bush Intercontinental - 70 miles from Galveston and William P Hobby - 40 miles from Galveston.

Transportation to Galveston is a problem. The only rent car agency is Enterprise, closes at noon on Saturday, closed Sunday.

Though we live here, we do cruise a lot from other cities so we use a limo service to and from the airport (Cornerstone Elite Limo).

Galveston is a very old city with lots of Victorian architecture, the Galveston Historic Pleasure Pier over the Gulf, Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens and lots of other things to do and see. check out galveston.com

We love living here with so much to do and many great restaurants.

The final decision is yours. But wish you would come to Galveston:D

You may want to hold off a few days to see how New Orleans survives the storm. New Orleans isn't exactly cheap either so it's just your choice. We

are flying into Houston and taking RC shuttle to Galveston in November.

Ive cruised out of both and not biased by either State since Im from SF;)

New Orleans. Getting to Galveston is PITA unless you drive.

Also cruises are usually cheaper out of NOLA.

BTW Alot of Galveston hotels require 2 night minimum on the weekend but in NOLA you can get cheap rates thru Hotwire or Priceline for 1 night

Neither place compares to San Diego for beaches or weather

Although Galveston is much closer for us, we always cruise out of NO. NO has cheap cabs from airport downtown ($35), cheap hotels (we book Marriott type hotels) usually under $100. Plenty to see and many wonderful places to eat. If your staying on Canal or Bourbon St areas, you can walk to most anything. $7-10 cab fare to the pier from most downtown hotels. If your driving your own car, Galveston is a little easier for an out of towner, but still does not compare to NO in my opinion. With Galveston adding another ship, it just compounds some of the problems. Two night minimums for hotels, rent cars are very difficult.

Archived