Holiday Inn Gretna and public transportation

Tmaxx1

We are considering the Holiday Inn in Gretna. We will be driving a rental vehicle to the hotel. I was considering dropping off the rental vehicle when we arrive and take public transport instead. We'll be arriving on nov 22nd and staying until nov25 when our cruise leaves.

Is it possible to take the bus from the Holiday World over to New Orleans? Or is this more trouble than it's worth? If we don't have a vehicle, would it be possible to see New Orleans via bus and streetcar?

Also, is the Holiday Inn a good place to stay?

Thanks for feedback

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot really use public transit from Gretna to the French Quarter (where nearly all visitors should begin discovering New Orleans). Why not drop the vehicle at the airport, take a cab and stay in the French Quarter (or nearby in the Warehouse District or CBD). Gretna is a distant suburb accross the river. The only reason I see to stay there is if your are travelling at a very difficult time such as Mardi Gras, or if you need to leave an RV parked during the cruise.

I agree with above. Leave the car at the airport, get a hotel close to the quarter. There are several tour buses and walking tours you can take. Every hotel has a listing, and about every corner near the quarter has tourist information booths that can recommend tours.

You cannot really use public transit from Gretna to the French Quarter (where nearly all visitors should begin discovering New Orleans). Why not drop the vehicle at the airport, take a cab and stay in the French Quarter (or nearby in the Warehouse District or CBD). Gretna is a distant suburb accross the river. The only reason I see to stay there is if your are travelling at a very difficult time such as Mardi Gras, or if you need to leave an RV parked during the cruise.

I can tell you one reason to stay in Gretna..... price! If you do not want to pay the high prices of NO that is a reason to stay outside of there. Also, I thought there was a ferry that you can take to get from Gretna to NO then a streetcar from there. Is that not right?

Also, I thought there was a ferry that you can take to get from Gretna to NO then a streetcar from there. Is that not right?

Gretna ferry is closed until further notice. See link:

http://www.dotd.louisiana.gov/operations/fmbs_status.asp?PID=F_STATUS

The Gretna HI is s decent hotel, not great, but accommodating. The advantage to the location is that it's located on 90, a straight shot over the bridge, 10 minutes (barring traffic) to New Orleans. But, you would need a car for that.

I agree with the other posters, it would be difficult to do public transportation from Gretna. With the transportation costs, it would probably be about the same per day to just stay in the Quarter or Canal St where all you have to do is walk out your front door.

Although I would NOT suggest it, the op could catch the RTA bus. It would mean crossing the Westbank Expressway and riding with the unwashed masses, but it technically could be done. Also, this hotel is directly across the street from a mall. I would suggest a cab to the Algiers ferry.

Archived