One more question: GTY

rayjames7

One more question...when we initially received a quote, it listed a category and an actual cabin number. We didn't book it because we were confused on the air arrangements etc and it was cancelled of course. When we just got a new quote, it was for a lower category and there was no cabin...just GTY.

I wanted our original category & cabin assignment so I asked the TA to rebook it. The TA then tells me they don't assign cabins ahead of time (which of course they did because I have the old invoice showing it) and it came back with another GTY.

Can someone clarify what this all means and what is really the Oceania standard?:confused:

If there is a cabin you want & it is available you should be able to book it

Go the Oceania website & go through the booking process you will see what cabins are available in the Cat you select

At this point I think you should drop your friend as your TA & either book direct with the cruise line or find a TA that is well versed in dealing with Oceania

JMO

Lyn

You need to go to a TA who knows how cruise bookings work :

You have 3 options :

1. Book a specific category and Stateroom, and specify you do not want an upgrade.

2. Book a specific category and Stateroom, (this leaves open the option for the Cruise Line to offer you an upgrade at no extra cost.)

3. Book a Guarantee Cabin within a category . This means you will be allocated at no extra cost either in the category you booked or any higher category .

In the case of options 1 & 2 you will know the cabin # at time of booking, but in the case of Option 2 you may be allocated another cabin in a higher category if you are upgraded.

In the case of option 3 Cabin # are not usually known till very close to the sailing date , and on odd occasions not till you present for boarding .

Hope this helps.

You need to go to a TA who knows how cruise bookings work :

You have 3 options :

1. Book a specific category and Stateroom, and specify you do not want an upgrade.

2. Book a specific category and Stateroom, (this leaves open the option for the Cruise Line to offer you an upgrade at no extra cost.)

3. Book a Guarantee Cabin within a category . This means you will be allocated at no extra cost either in the category you booked or any higher category .

In the case of options 1 & 2 you will know the cabin # at time of booking, but in the case of Option 2 you may be allocated another cabin in a higher category if you are upgraded.

In the case of option 3 Cabin # are not usually known till very close to the sailing date , and on odd occasions not till you present for boarding .

Hope this helps.

And now some cruise lines have a 4th way of booking! Princess just started this Meta Booking thing, where you book a specific cabin and will only accept an upgrade if it is to the next stateroom type. For example, if you book a Balcony Cabin, you are only wiling to accept an upgrade to a Mini-Suite or higher. I think this started because many people would be upgraded from a BC Balcony room to a BA Balcony (which Princess considered an upgrade) and many guests felt that they were downgraded.

Oceania does things a bit different than other cruise lines

Booking a GTY will get you a cabin in the CAT you chose

Sometimes you will be offered an UPSELL (fee)

You really need a TA that deals a lot with Oceania cruises to get the best service :)

JMO

One more question...when we initially received a quote, it listed a category and an actual cabin number. We didn't book it because we were confused on the air arrangements etc and it was cancelled of course. When we just got a new quote, it was for a lower category and there was no cabin...just GTY.

I wanted our original category & cabin assignment so I asked the TA to rebook it. The TA then tells me they don't assign cabins ahead of time (which of course they did because I have the old invoice showing it) and it came back with another GTY.

Can someone clarify what this all means and what is really the Oceania standard?:confused:

Anybody can have a bad day, and even the most enthusiastic Agent can't know everything, but your Agent seems to be making it up as they go along.

You have thousands of dollars on the line, don't accept that kind of service.

The commission on an Oceania cruise is a pretty chunk of cash.

"3. Book a Guarantee Cabin within a category . This means you will be allocated at no extra cost either in the category you booked or any higher category .

In the case of option 3 Cabin # are not usually known till very close to the sailing date , and on odd occasions not till you present for boarding ."

We booked a Cat. F GTY an inside cabin, and were more than pleasantly suprised when on embarkation we were assigned to an A3 CAT. Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom. It was a gamble that paid off!:)

I think this started because many people would be upgraded from a BC Balcony room to a BA Balcony (which Princess considered an upgrade) and many guests felt that they were downgraded.

This happened to me once before where I got 'upgraded' to a cabin I would have picked. Better category, worse location. (Not Oceania)

We booked a Cat. F GTY an inside cabin, and were more than pleasantly suprised when on embarkation we were assigned to an A3 CAT. Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom. It was a gamble that paid off!:)

That is a very rare thing and you were exceptionally lucky. ~Doris~

• 1 month later...
Oceania does things a bit different than other cruise lines

Booking a GTY will get you a cabin in the CAT you chose

Sometimes you will be offered an UPSELL (fee)

You really need a TA that deals a lot with Oceania cruises to get the best service :)

JMO

You are quick to hang this travel agent with one side of the story. Might it be possible the requersted category is now a GTY?

You are quick to hang this travel agent with one side of the story. Might it be possible the requersted category is now a GTY?

It seems to me that you are glossing over the misinformation that the Agent gave.

It would never be correct to say, "they don't assign cabins ahead of time".

In any case, there was more than one cabin category involved in the original question. so your theory seems unlikely.

Archived