Zuiderdam beds bolted to the floor!!!!

Ms Ann

We received an e-mail from HAL about signing a release for using our patient lift on our booked cruise. Within the notification it states that the eds are bolted to the floor!!!! Sure wish I'd known this earlier. Now I'm jumping through hoops to get it cancelled before the final payment on Sept 4th!!! We have been on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity, and their beds are not bolted down. I usually have to angle Oscars bed at night to get the lift/chair etc in the correct position for transfering. Then in the morning I just move it back.

I wonder if the HAL ships ride rougher in the water than others.

Just an FYI for others.

We received an e-mail from HAL about signing a release for using our patient lift on our booked cruise. Within the notification it states that the eds are bolted to the floor!!!! Sure wish I'd known this earlier. Now I'm jumping through hoops to get it cancelled before the final payment on Sept 4th!!! We have been on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity, and their beds are not bolted down. I usually have to angle Oscars bed at night to get the lift/chair etc in the correct position for transfering. Then in the morning I just move it back.

Just an FYI for others.

How in the World can the beds be "BOLTED" to the floor when the Stateroom stewards are able to make twins into Queen or King sized beds and vice versus??

To see for yourself via photos taken by fellow CC Members look at 2 staterooms on Zuiderdam here, VC 5026 as a Queen and VC 5043 as 2 twins (Almost 1/2 way down the page) http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/Deck-5.html

EDITED TO ADD: I have photos of 2 Handicapped Staterooms on Zuiderdam Deck 4, VD 4051 which is set up as Twin Beds and VD 4132 which is set up as a Queen http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/Deck-4.html

Joanie

Just an FYI for others.

I think I'd CALL them and specifically ask that question! We were on the Amsterdam in June, and the beds weren't bolted down! There are locks on the wheels, so if you move the bed you can set the locks to keep the bed from sliding out from under you, but definitely they were moveable.

I think there's a misunderstanding there somewhere!

I think I'd CALL them and specifically ask that question! We were on the Amsterdam in June, and the beds weren't bolted down! There are locks on the wheels, so if you move the bed you can set the locks to keep the bed from sliding out from under you, but definitely they were moveable.

I think there's a misunderstanding there somewhere!

I sure hope so. the exact quote states: "The beds an all of our passenger staterooms are bolted to the floor to avoid movement when the ship is under sail" My TA is calling/e-mailing her contact at HAL, and will get exact information for me. The Access & Compliance Department is open only Mon - Fri. Not sure about Labor day. Final payment is due on Sept 5. She had never heard of anything like this before either. I too wondered about the changing from twin to queen. Maybe two portals to place bolts, one for twin and another for queen???

Oh, the cabin is a SY 5002. This would be our first suite, and I will be very disappointed if we can't get it resolved.

OK. The latest. Spoke with a man in the Access & Compliance Dept this morning. I ask if the statement about bolting to the floor is correct, and he re plied "yes, they are bolted to the floor". I asked about the configurations from twin to queen, and he replied that there were different patterns on the floor to allow the different arrangements. Ask if it was possible to arrange to another configurations allowing wider access to one side of bed or other, his reply was "no".

Cancelled this cruise, and going with different line. Too late to pick up Panama Canal, so taking a 14 day with Celebrity. I am disappointed not to have the suite, or Panama canal, but glad to know before hand. Would not have been happy to arrive at ship, and not be able to use the cabin.

Hope someone can use the cabin and enjoy it. It looks to be an awesome cabin.

Archived