Box Lunches and One day early to Anchorage

timkins42

My wife and I plus her 2 sisters and their husbands are booked on a 9 day land and 4 day ship cruisetour next August and we have been discussing the meal plan that is offered by HAL. During the land portion the meal plan includes about 50% "box lunches". I am not really impressed with the idea of box lunches that when broken down average about $28 dollars per meal per person. Anybody out there "been there and done that" and have an opinion about the box lunches.

Second question regards flying into Anchorage a day earlier than when the cruise/tour starts. I realize that it will be an extra night in a hotel and meals at my expense BUT what problems will I incur for luggage transfer and costs from the airport to the hotel?

My wife and I plus her 2 sisters and their husbands are booked on a 9 day land and 4 day ship cruisetour next August and we have been discussing the meal plan that is offered by HAL. During the land portion the meal plan includes about 50% "box lunches". I am not really impressed with the idea of box lunches that when broken down average about $28 dollars per meal per person. Anybody out there "been there and done that" and have an opinion about the box lunches.

Second question regards flying into Anchorage a day earlier than when the cruise/tour starts. I realize that it will be an extra night in a hotel and meals at my expense BUT what problems will I incur for luggage transfer and costs from the airport to the hotel?

DH and I have traveled Alaska by rental car from Anchorage. Your second question... It is fairly easy to reserve a hotel in Anchorage at a hotel that will provide free transport from airport to hotel.

Does your cruise/tour leave from Seward?

I can't answer your first question since we've only done inland travels independently, but I can tell you that food is more expensive in Alaska. Even Subway does not offer the 'five dollar footlong' special in Denali's "Glitter Gulch," for example. On the other hand, a dinner at the Denali Salmon Bake is well worth the $60 per couple. Breakfast there is pretty awesome, too! That was about $30 per couple. This of course would depend on the time you have free to roam in the "Glitter Gulch" area.

Archived