Anyone here ever sail on the original Prinsendam?

Hi gang

Got my Prinsendam brochures in the mail. Those Indonesia cruises

looked spectacular! (The brochures are recent eBay purchases!)

Looking at them brought me back to high school, when I would gaze at the photos in there, and dream of sailing to those islands. But alas, it would never be.

:(

Does anyone have special Prinsendam stories to share?

:)

Our very first cruise in 1975 was on the beautiful little Prinsendam for 8 days round trip Alaska from Vancouver. A couple of years later we were living in Victoria, BC and listening to the radio when we heard that she had gone down off the coast of Alaska while she was repositioning to Indonesia. In 1998 we took a road trip (truck/camper) to Alaska and when we got to Valdez we went to the museum there and lo & behold, outside of the museum was one of the lifeboats from the Prinsedam. As we explored this wonderful little town we found out that all of the passengers had been brought in there where clothes were supplied so they could make their way home. Most people were in their nightclothes when the emergency evacuation occured. All passengers and crew were safe, thank God.

In 2001 we went on our second HAL cruise (other cruise lines in between) this time to the other end of the earth So.America and around the horn. I had taken the original brochure with me and gave it to one of the officers as HAL was just about to launch the new Prinsendam and I thought they might enjoy having it. I now wish I would have kept it.

We were so impressed by the Indonesian crew on that original cruise. I remember one bartender who could speak 7 languages. He was about 22 years old. Amazing. One of the bus boys got scolded by the Dutch officer on deck because he was walking on the railing during lifeboat drill!! Can you imagine?? We have many fond memories of our cruise. It got us started on this wonderful way of adventure hopping. :):)

We always wanted to go to Indonesia but the closest (so far) was Singapore and Malaysia. Some day........................ Happy sails! Colette

While my son and I were on the '95 Rotterdam V world cruise, the elderly gentlemen who occupied the cabin next to ours was onboard the Prinsendam when it caught fire and sank off the coast of Alaska....he really enjoyed talking about it.

Further info: http://www.explorenorth.com/library/ships/prinsendam-1980.html

I found this when I looked on eBay for Prinsendam info. There was a brochure being offered for 1981 sailings and I thought she was already gone by then. She was. :(

The 1981 brochures were probably out around the middle of 1980 and as the ship didn't sink until October, 1980 there would probably be some brochures still around.

We sailed many times on other HAL ships with the Hotel Manager of the Prinsendam. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. He never told us any stories about the fire/sinking, probably because he didn't want to re-live the whole dreadful scene. We have also met a couple of cabin stewards who had been on the ship.

there was one (possibly two) passengers on the 2005 Prinsendam World Tour that were on the final trip of the old Prinsendam. Guess it didn't dampen their desire for cruising or for cruising on HAL.

Grumpy

Archived