how to avoid crowds in quebec city?

We are taking the June 22-29, 2013 Holland America cruise, and will be in Quebec City 7AM to 5PM on June 28, a Friday. Since I have heard that Quebec in summer can be crowded with tourists, I would appreciate advice for how to do a self-guided walking tour of Upper Town and Lower Town without getting too tangled up in crowds. Maybe there is some area of town we could start in that would put us on an inversion of the typical tourist paths?

I think the simple answer is no, since there are hotels all over. The cruise ships are in the Lower Town and most hotels in the Upper Town. I would think that you should start in the Lower Town before the people from the Upper Town get there and then work your way up.

Get yourself a walking tour map and just head out to the places you MUST see. If eating there, head to an outdoor cafe early or late. Otherwise you will have trouble finding a seat. ;)

Really the areas the tourists hang out will be the same ones the cruisers will be. Did you check to see how many other ships will be there on the same day? That will add even more folks. The area isn't all that big, so yes, there will be tourists all around.

. Did you check to see how many other ships will be there on the same day? That will add even more folks. The area isn't all that big, so yes, there will be tourists all around.

How/where do you get this information? We will be in Quebec City on Sunday, Sept.16 2012.

We are taking the June 22-29, 2013 Holland America cruise, and will be in Quebec City 7AM to 5PM on June 28, a Friday. Since I have heard that Quebec in summer can be crowded with tourists, I would appreciate advice for how to do a self-guided walking tour of Upper Town and Lower Town without getting too tangled up in crowds. Maybe there is some area of town we could start in that would put us on an inversion of the typical tourist paths?

We found that by getting off the ship as soon as it was docked and then going directly to this area that it worked out perfectly. That is what we did. Then later in the day we walked to some other areas that were less crowded.

We had a great day.

Keith

Run thru all your ports of call on cruisett and you'll have a good idea of what you will have to deal with. In the Caribbean and Europe it makes a BIG difference in the day.:eek:

Great site to explore and find out how many ships will be in your port. I did notice that instead of Sydney, Canada our ship is listed in port at Sydney, Australia and instead of Saint John, Nova Scotia we are shown in St. John, Newfoundland (there is a lot of confusion between Saint John and St. John and although we are stopping at Saint John, Bay of Fundy, our itinerary shows St. John). Locals straighten us out on the threads as to the difference in spelling/port.

Great site to explore and find out how many ships will be in your port. I did notice that instead of Sydney, Canada our ship is listed in port at Sydney, Australia and instead of Saint John, Nova Scotia we are shown in St. John, Newfoundland (there is a lot of confusion between Saint John and St. John and although we are stopping at Saint John, Bay of Fundy, our itinerary shows St. John). Locals straighten us out on the threads as to the difference in spelling/port.

It's actually St. John's Newfoundland and Saint John New Bruinswick.

How they get confused I'll never know. LOL.:rolleyes:

Enjoy.

Deb

Archived