NCL Gem Caribbean from NYC January/February 2013

zaster

Hi all,

next winter we're planning a trip to NYC and then the cruise with the NCL Gem to the Caribbean. We have seen that the price for the 2-bedroom suite (SC) is 4150€ for the 3 of us and I think it is very reasonable, looking at the other prices.

The same suite but in the Haven area costs about 2000€ and we think it's not worth to pay 50% more just to be there, what do you think?

We know that there are 4 sea days, 2 and 2, and I would like to know what the weather would be like in these days since it's winter and it may be too cold for the pool, at least the first and the last sea days, right?

If we finally book the SC, has it got Cagney's access for breakfast and lunch?

In New York, where is the port located?

Thanks in advance,

The SC and S4 (Haven) are basically the same except the SC doesn't have access to the Haven. You'll still have access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. Leaving from NYC in the winter will be cold for the first (and last) 24-36 hours of the trip so having access to the haven with the glass roof closed would be nice.

Here's info for the NYC cruise terminal: http://www.nycruise.com/

We sailed this cruise 2 years ago in February. We actually got very lucky when we were leaving NY, the weather was beautiful and we just had light jackets on. None of us (group of about 12 or so) went in the pool at all, too cold. The teens did go in the hot tub a couple times. We stayed inside pretty much the whole cruise, I didn't really see too much of the outside decks except for the main deck where the pool is on that first day in port. Once we got to FL, the weather was much better, still a bit cool to go in the pool for me anyways. The weather was sunny and beautiful while we were at their private island, but we had some rain the day we were in the Bahamas and it spoiled part of our water excursion we had booked.

We arrived back in NY to about 6in. of snow on our cars.

Personally, I would not cruise out of NY in the winter. It can be snowing and the seas can be rough. If your ports are port Canveral and the Bahamas, they too can be quite cold. I would suggest a more southern cruise port (Florida) with southern ports

. This is just my opinion:)

Between the Gem and the Jewel this January will be our 4th cruise out of NY to the Caribbean. This used to be a 10day cruise and is now a 9 day cruise:mad:. Usually its cold the day of embarkation and very windy the first day at sea, by the 2nd day it is SOMETIMES warm enough for the pool. The next to last sea day is still pretty nice early in the day and the last sea dea is pretty chilly. But we found we get enough sun etc the 5 (now 4) port days!

This cruise doesn't go to port canaveral & bahamas, it goes to San Juan, St Marteen, Samaná and St Thomas.

We're interested in this cruise because it's 9 day, and it's even cheaper than the one week cruise from Miami.

And out of Miami, there are the Epic which we cruised it last week and we want to experience a new ship, and the other one is the Pearl and the destinations don't attract us very much.

I am doing this itinerary in December. I always said I would rather go to Miami and sail out, but after last year I will always consider and gamble with the weather and do NY/NJ if possible ( if itinerary works). I live in NY so avoiding the airports is the reason. If I was flying no matter what, I would sail out of Miami. If your intention is to come to NYC for a few days than do the Gem.

I will say that having so many sea days and leaving out of cold weather IF you can afford the Haven DO IT! I am booked in the Haven in December and can't wait to enjoy the Courtyard area even when its cold outside.

I wouldn't pay the extra for the haven I love the 2brdrm suites, and they include Cagneys for breakfast and lunch early embarkation and disembarkation. Early entrance to chocholic buffet and shows. It depends on the weathewr but it always chilly first day out and last day back. I love leaving out of NY and seeing the statue of liberty from the ship. I say go for it enjoy NY and the port is maybe 15minutes from midtown or times sqaure area. That 15 minutes ride is really if traffic is heavy

Archived