What is the largest aft balcony on the Divina?

wantocruisemore

you might want to see if the upscale upgrade works for your sailing as you could move up to the Yacht Club for the price of a balcony cabin. We sailed the Divina 8/11-18 in the YC and loved it

How does MSC compare to more Americanized lines such as Carnival and RCCL? We don't have to have luxury, just clean, safe, good room, good food and a line who can accommodate my gluten free daughter, and an itinerary everyone can agree upon.

How does MSC compare to more Americanized lines such as Carnival and RCCL? We don't have to have luxury, just clean, safe, good room, good food and a line who can accommodate my gluten free daughter, and an itinerary everyone can agree upon.

If you look at my review that I am positing in segments on the Divina you will see that I came away very happy. I had never considered MSC until my husband wanted to go to both Istanbul and Izmir this summer and the itinerary clicked with our air miles. I came away so impressed that we will probably sail with them next summer and bring our adult son to check out the new Preziosa.

Some YC1 cabins can hold four (double sofa bed) and keep in mind that it is all inclusive for the specialty restaurant and drinks. The third and forth rates are very reduced as is the single supplement.

We still spent about $1300 on board (that spa gets me every time) but our usual bill for a one week cruise is around 3K so the savings is significant. It was extremely clean and the wife of the couple we met from Austrailia was Gluten Free and they had a whole seperate (wide variety) menu for her. Personally I am not a fan of Carnival so it would not be helpful to ask me to compare the lines. I will just say I came away astonded that after over 50 cruises I had never given this line a try. By far this was the most comfortable bed I have had on any trip including a stay in a cabin that cost us over 20K for a week.

Even in Europe I had no issues with smokers and although I am fluent in Italian the staff all was able to communicate at least basically in English. In the YC everyone was fluent. I have never been a cheerleader for any line but I really believe MSC has been overlooked ( I myself was guilty) and after a week with them I am left wanting more.

I think this line is going to sneak up on people and become a huge success. My guess is that prices will surge once the Divina comes to the US next year and people can see this new product. If the airline would just cooperate so I could lock in next August I would be a happy lady.

we're trying to decide on cruises. Booked with RCCL but really like the Divina itinerary out of Istanbul. We only go in the large balconies at the very aft. I can't find much info so thought I would ask.

MSC Divina is a wonderful ship and you will find BIG balconies aft on deck 10 and 11 with wonderful views aft. That's category 9 and 10 balconycabins. Here is the deckplan of MSC Divina on the US MSC Cruises site:

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Images/11795_01_DI_ENG_23mar2012_tcm5-34571.pdf?section=1

Here is a photo of the stern I took in Izmir this summer:

DSC01052.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I am going to look further into MSC. I really like their itinerary better than the one we already have booked. My youngest DD will be studying in Barcelona next spring and we want to fly over at the end for a few days there and then take a cruise somewhere. The only city we can all 4 agree upon is Istanbul since none of us have been there yet. I would not mind cruising out of Rome again though (Civitavecchia) since there is so much to see there.

Are the Yacht Club rooms forward on the ship? My DH will only travel at the very aft balconies.

Also, did you book with a TA or can you book direct with the line? I always prefer to have control over my own booking since the lines we have been on in the past have a price guarantee and we have usually gotten price drops. Does MSC have anything like this?

Thanks for the photo, that really helps.

When I looked at the deck plan it looked like the balconies of Deck 11 & 10 are indeed bigger. So I guess the deck plan is accurate.

MSC Divina is a wonderful ship and you will find BIG balconies aft on deck 10 and 11 with wonderful views aft. That's category 9 and 10 balconycabins. Here is the deckplan of MSC Divina on the US MSC Cruises site:

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Images/11795_01_DI_ENG_23mar2012_tcm5-34571.pdf?section=1

Here is a photo of the stern I took in Izmir this summer:

DSC01052.jpg

The short answer is that they don't compare.

I've cruised with RCCL and also MSC. RCCL really do set the benchmark and even though Divina is newer than any of those I've sailed on with RCCL, I'd never consider cruising with MSC again. I don't see any reason to when RCCL have much more to offer me.

During my cruise on Divina, many summed up their experience as "Well they have a nice ship, but they don't quite know what to do with it" and I totally agree with that. In a nutshell, I think RCCL is just far superior in pretty much every way. Having said that, I wasn't a MSC Yacht Club member and I'm sure the whole Yacht Club experience is totally different altogether.

This isn't intended to be a review, it's just my opinion of the two. I would suggest reading some reviews though.

Totally disagree with Armitage Shanks. MSC is an Italian line and different than RCCL. I have cruised both of them several times and like them both very good, they are just different from each other. RCCL tend to be more popular among British and American cruisers due to the fact that they feel "more home" on them. Firsttimers on RCCL tend to believe that all lines are like them......allthough RCCL are good, so are MSC in a different way. And RCCL don't have the Yacht Club or similar if you wan't upgrade to a world of privacy, more personalized service and great suites.

wanttocruisemore,

We booked with a TA for next summer, and when we were looking around for prices, including with MSC themselves, we found all of the prices very similar but not exactly the same. That's why we chose the TA we did, mostly due to the price. They all also offer a reduced deposit of $100 per person with a full refund availalbe up to 75 days prior to leaving.

Thank you so much for your responses. I am curious though exactly what the differences are. What we want is a clean, safe ship with decent food and service. We do not have small kids so no kids club is necessary. We are not that into the sports activities, although one DD liked the rock wall on RCCL and the other the mini-golf; but these are not necessaties. We are interested in the Divina solely for the itinerary out of Venice. It goes to Istanbul and Dubrovnik which are places we want to go. It doesn't matter that there would not be alot of english speaking onboard, so long as the staff can understand us.

Does MSC give any type of price guarantee like RCCL?

Normally we book our own since I like to have control over my reservation for price drops, but if a TA can give better benefits and there is no price drop anyway, I would consider a TA.

Oh and we would definitely NOT be doing YC. DH demands an aft balcony, or he doesn't go.

Well if it is prior to final payment you could always cancel and rebook if they don't have a price gty. Any good travel agent would do that for you at no charge. A friend of mine was booked in an inside and then a promotion came out get a balcony for the price of an inside and she just cancelled and rebooked to get the new deal.

I know from my own Preziosa booking that I just made they have an AARP discount and originally I had booked us last year on the Divina in an aft balcony and then the "upscale upgrade" came out so I moved us up so they definately allow you to reprice your reservation.

I have sailed almost every line and I agree with NC the products are very different but both are very nice. Price wise MSC will definately be less money from what I have seen. These are very port intensive cruises so my advice would be to go with what gives you the most bang for your buck. We only had one sea day so I can't speak too much about the non YC areas but from what I saw it was nice enough. I would choose more for the itinerary than the ship if you are only looking at 7 days. Istanbul you will love by the way. Definately need to go back there again!

Called yesterday and all the big aft balconies for Decks 10 & 11 were booked for both the 4/27 & the 5/4 cruise. This is really hard to believe but I was talking with the MSC US office, not a TA.

Now, which other ones to try to book? Are there any other decks that would be good? And although DH only likes aft, are there any larger side balconies?

Direct acts do book up in advance you could ask them to wait list you (free) In case the people holding them drop out at final. With only a $100 pp deposit it would be pretty easy for someone to tie up a bunch of cabins and change their mind later

I think that's what we will do. I'll try to pick the best one possible and waitlist for our preference, and if not, at least we have the great itinerary.

NOW BOOKED!!!

I had to get a balcony toward the aft but I can keep trying to call back and see if any across the very aft are available. I asked about wait listing but they said that was for one particular cabin. I couldn't waitlist several. Best for me to just keep checking.

If not, we will make do with our side balcony. The side balconies look a little larger on the Divina than on ships we have sailed with before on RCCL & Carnival anyway.

... and a line who can accommodate my gluten free daughter, and an itinerary everyone can agree upon.

MSC are great for gluten free food - let them know before you go (or when you embark) and they will assign a waiter who will bring your daughter her own menu - breakfast, lunch and dinner (in the main restaurant - don't know about the buffet because we always eat in the main restaurant) and she can order separately. After a couple of meals gluten free bread rolls etc will be waiting for her at her place setting. Not only do they have gluten free bread but also cakes, rolls, pasta, pastries - in fact anything that traditionally contains gluten, all freshly made.

Our son is gluten free, vegetarian and fussy about food due to additional needs - he loves MSC as he gets to eat food that previously he had to watch his sister eat. :) Italians are much better geared up to gluten free diets than other countries.

MSC are great for gluten free food - let them know before you go (or when you embark) and they will assign a waiter who will bring your daughter her own menu - breakfast, lunch and dinner (in the main restaurant - don't know about the buffet because we always eat in the main restaurant) and she can order separately. After a couple of meals gluten free bread rolls etc will be waiting for her at her place setting. Not only do they have gluten free bread but also cakes, rolls, pasta, pastries - in fact anything that traditionally contains gluten, all freshly made.

Our son is gluten free, vegetarian and fussy about food due to additional needs - he loves MSC as he gets to eat food that previously he had to watch his sister eat. :) Italians are much better geared up to gluten free diets than other countries.

Thanks so much. DD who needs gluten free also is diabetic and has special needs, similar to autistic. She likes to cruise because RCCL & Carnival in the past have been so accommodating. She also loved Rome last summer for the same reason. It's nice to know they will take care of her and it sounds like MSC will be even better. I told them at the time of booking of all her needs and they said they would make sure it went down on the reservation. Does MSC have a special needs email I would need to notify too? I remember I had to do that with the other lines.

Other DD is a vegetarian and I had them list that on her reservation too.

Hi

My son is autistic - MSC were great - I made sure that they knew at the time of booking and reminded them again when we embarked. I printed the autism information leaflet from National Autisic Society (UK website) in Italian just in case but didn't need it. Staff were very accommodating and on one occasion when there was a crush of people trying to get on the shuttle bus, the MSC lady lead my son and daughter to the front of the crush and got them safely onto the bus as she could see he was getting distressed. We have cruised with other lines but feel that MSC is the most accommodating.

Hi

My son is autistic - MSC were great - I made sure that they knew at the time of booking and reminded them again when we embarked. I printed the autism information leaflet from National Autisic Society (UK website) in Italian just in case but didn't need it. Staff were very accommodating and on one occasion when there was a crush of people trying to get on the shuttle bus, the MSC lady lead my son and daughter to the front of the crush and got them safely onto the bus as she could see he was getting distressed. We have cruised with other lines but feel that MSC is the most accommodating.

Did you do Yacht Club or other room? We actually thought about Yacht Club but we're trying to watch the money.

Thanks, I know with RCCL & Carnival they let us have priority boarding because she would be excited anyway and the extra wait made it worse. That's a good idea to print off the leaflet, I've never thought of that. Did you notify anyone other than at booking and upon embarkation? I let them know at booking but forgot to mention we wanted a table just for our family of 4. I will call back for that because she does better with no strangers at mealtimes.

When we took our cruise last summer we set up alot of private tours. That way we were always in a small, familiar group and usually did not get crushed in long lines.

Thanks so much for responding. It's always helpful when you hear of others experiences. We were so nervous her first cruise but found out it's a great way for her to travel.

Did you do Yacht Club or other room? We actually thought about Yacht Club but we're trying to watch the money.

Thanks, I know with RCCL & Carnival they let us have priority boarding because she would be excited anyway and the extra wait made it worse. That's a good idea to print off the leaflet, I've never thought of that. Did you notify anyone other than at booking and upon embarkation? I let them know at booking but forgot to mention we wanted a table just for our family of 4. I will call back for that because she does better with no strangers at mealtimes.

When we took our cruise last summer we set up alot of private tours. That way we were always in a small, familiar group and usually did not get crushed in long lines.

Thanks so much for responding. It's always helpful when you hear of others experiences. We were so nervous her first cruise but found out it's a great way for her to travel.

Hi - it's a pleasure to respond; it is a big step taking children like ours on holiday. Last time we had an inside cabin - probably cheapest on the ship because we went at Christmas and booked really late. This time, again at Christmas we are having a balcony cabin because we got a good deal - free flights for adults and discount because we booked direct with MSC. My children did not want Yacht club because they felt they would be obliged to stay in that part of the ship and we would prefer to spend our money on trips ashore. We did not do any organised tours but went on public transport or walked. I bought guide books before we went and my son was in charge of the street maps. We figured that we could easily go back to the ship if he got stressed. I was amazed it went so well - we went to Rome on the train and plan to do the same this time. I also downloaded and printed off the ship plan before we went and showed him where we would be going on the ship and various routes. Our children tend to stay we us when we are on holiday - they do not like going off by themselves or to kids clubs (they are 12 and 14). But I feel that the ship environment is safer than a hotel or resort for our son. On the UK website I think there is a special needs section where you can contact them - when I booked I had a long chat with the lady at MSC regarding beds etc and how safe the balconies are and she chose a cabin for us which we feel meets our needs. It is a balcony that is set back slightly from the side of the ship and is near the atrium so if he did get separated and lost he would hopefully make his way to the centre of the ship and to reception. I also make sure when we have the safety drill that the person in charge is aware of my son's needs because if there was an emergency we would not be able to predict how he would react. Probably seems like overkill but I would prefer to remove any stress for our children before the holiday - then it is happier for all of us. When are you sailing?

We will be on Divina on April 27 out of Venice. We have a balcony for my husband and me and have an inside across the hall for the two DD's. My oldest, who will be 23, is the one with the special needs. Our other DD is doing a semester in Barcelona and then meeting us for the cruise.

We did Eastern Med out of Rome last summer and loved it. DD also liked to be in charge of the maps, but she would listen and pay attention more when a guide explained things. She loves museums and historical sites.

We've always had a balcony with her at the very back. She loves to sit out and watch the wake. This time I had to get a side balcony but I will keep checking for the aft.

Traveling with special needs is challenging. I've found that planning ahead is all important. My husband would love to just rent a car somewhere and go but I know that would not be as enjoyable for everyone.

A cruise is also easier for me due to DD's diet.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I saw that you will be on the MSC Splendida for the Christmas cruise. We will be leaving out of Barcelona on Dec. 24. We also have two kids daughter 12 and son 14 that will be with us. Quite interestingly our son is also autistic. This will be our 4 MSC cruise and third in the Med with the kids. They absolutely loved it. I hope we can get together. I am sure the kids would have a great time.

I saw that you will be on the MSC Splendida for the Christmas cruise. We will be leaving out of Barcelona on Dec. 24. We also have two kids daughter 12 and son 14 that will be with us. Quite interestingly our son is also autistic. This will be our 4 MSC cruise and third in the Med with the kids. They absolutely loved it. I hope we can get together. I am sure the kids would have a great time.

Hi, our children - daughter also 12 and son (14) were very interested to hear you are on the same cruise - what an interesting coincidence! It would be great to meet up - is there a facility to private message/email on the forum?

Archived