Discover Scuba CoconutTree vs Bananarama

justlaff69

Bananarama offers the the Discover Program and states they course will be done by noon, this includes, class time, skills practice & 50-60 min reef dive.

Coconut Tree says the class and skill dives are done by noon and the reef dive will be done at 1pm.

They're both PADI, so why there's a two hour difference in the programs?

If the extra time is spent on skills that's fine, but i don't want to be sitting around the shop doing a time kill.

Coconut Tree is a much larger shop than Bananarama, it is also located in West End where Bananarama is located in West Bay. Both have very good reputations. I have friends on the island who will only dive with Coconut Tree.

While I do not claim to understand the difference in schedule... I personally would much prefer a smaller outfit with a discover program.

I was out snorkling with the Anemona Divers last March, there was a family of three doing the Discover Scuba... There must have been three different skill levels of divers in the boat cause one dive master went with one guy, one dive master went with two people and two dive masters when with the family of three. The boat captain kept track of me. I am telling you those are pretty good odds.

If you truly need the skinny, email both companies and ask what the down time is about.. my guess is organization of divers and gear.

As one added note ~ Sitting about the Coconut Tree deck between dives in a past time in West End.

I had emailed Coconut Divers about the time frame and didn't get a response so I called the shop and as I suspected, they won't start at 8am, it's more like 8:30 or 9:00.

20 min Instruction Classroom

15 min to get equipment

30 min of Shallow water skill work

20 min to breakdown the equip

Break for lunch and then back to the dock at 12:30 for the 1pm dive.

I have an hour and a half of activities in a 3 hr time frame. Is there a grocer within walking distance, I could use the slush time to pick up some coffee for the boss.:D

Coconut Tree has a mini type market... there are several others in West End. Woody's is a bit bigger.. I have no idea if they sell coffee.

There are several little gift type places that may sell local-ish coffee.

The whole of West End can be walked in about 20 minutes. :0)

West Bay is the premiere beach in the island. There are resorts, restaurants and accommodation of all shapes and sized but as far as town and charming..not so much. There is a coffee shop in the West Bay mall that may have local coffee for sale.

It takes about 10 minutes to walk the beach end to end.

If you never expect to be on the island again...I think everyone should see West Bay Beach.

• 1 month later...
Well I hope to get back here, but that pretty that statement much makes up my mind.

Thanks so much for your input.

UPDATE:

Everything went well for me at Bannanarama, I can't say as much for my DH.

He had trouble breathing through the regulator and due to an unusual weather pattern, we didn't do a beach dive, which would've give him more time to acclimate.

If you have a 'never' scuba person, I recommend Coconut Tree, they have a pool and you would have more time to get acclimated to using the regulator.

Archived