Help with excursion ideas - child scared of fish and a fearless 2 yr old

wendyc78

I have polar opposite children. I have a fearless almost 2 yr old, who will do anything and everything. I have a 9 year old that is basically scared of everything. We just recently overcame our fear of flying bugs (even GNATS!) and now after an experience at church camp with a pond and someone (adult) getting bitten/scraped by a fish, who knows when I will ever get her in the water with visible fish again. We live on a lake, too, so you can imagine how much fun that is.

Anyway, I love to snorkle. DH hates it, because the mask makes him claustrophobic. (Wonder where DD9 gets it?) So, at least we have a deal that I get to snorkle at Castaway Cay, while he watches the kids.

I really want to swim with the stingrays, and I almost had DD9 convinced, until she saw a fish in one of pictures. Then she started crying in silent tears (I didn't notice at first) and started begging not to do it. DD2 would not only want to swim alone in her puddlejumper (We wouldn't let her), but she would probably hold a sting ray. The kid has no fear and is EXTREMELY independent.

So what's left? No snorkeling, no deep water where fish *might* be, no sting rays, and somewhere a toddler can go...

Am I going to be bound to the ship in this port? or spending the day sitting on the beach? (Which DD9 would love, but we are doing in a different port, and I really want to do something in GC!)

*Disclaimer* - As many ridiculous fears my DD9 has, I recognize that they are real, and I'm very patient with her. I love her to pieces, and I understand that this is her vacation, too.

Glass-bottomed boat tour? Would fish behind glass be okay?

Great idea! Pre-cruise......I had wondered about her watching fish in a coy pond if you have one at a park or know someone with them. How about a fish suncatcher to hang in her window or a stuffed fish plush animal. It always makes me sad when people have fear of creatures but know some of them never can overcome it. Hopefully, she will somehow.

They used to have....and i think they still do, a Pirate Ship excursion good for kids and families. They sail out you get some food and drink, they sword fight, some people can 'walk the plank' and go swimming while others stay dry on board.

I'm sure they still have it:

http://jollyrogercayman.com/

Yes they offer it. It also makes a 40 minute snorkel stop so Mom can snorkel and Dad can stay onboard and have some rum punch! Check it out. I've seen the Jolly Roger in the harbor and it's REALLY cool looking!

If your 9 year old doesn't want to do an activity, let her sit it out, but don't sit it out with her! Just ignore her behavior...at some point in her life, she'll realize that she's missed alot by having these "fears". If you give them credence, she'll believe herself to be right!

(I have sympathy for her...I was a "fraidy-cat" too.. and I missed SOOOOO much. Don't enforce her fears!)

Thanks for all the suggestions. She's not afraid to look at them, just be in the water with them :)

I did look into the glass bottom boat tour and there was an amphibious bus - it's hard matching up something with the short stop by DCL.

I'll keep looking.

And I TOTALLY agree CB at sea! I finally got her back in our lake, by taking her out on a 100 degree day, and telling her to hang off the boat but hold onto the ladder... baby steps ;) She is a fraidy-cat about everything!!! I don't want to skip all the fun, but I was hoping for ideas, similar to the glass bottom boat, that at least offered her an alternative. I honestly think that I will check into a boat tour that goes to sting ray city that will allow her to watch from the deck. She loves sting rays, and I'm hoping that the "missing out" will make her conquer the fear a little. (She's not scared of sting rays, LOL, that seems so silly)

Thanks for all the suggestions. She's not afraid to look at them, just be in the water with them :)

I did look into the glass bottom boat tour and there was an amphibious bus - it's hard matching up something with the short stop by DCL.

I'll keep looking.

And I TOTALLY agree CB at sea! I finally got her back in our lake, by taking her out on a 100 degree day, and telling her to hang off the boat but hold onto the ladder... baby steps ;) She is a fraidy-cat about everything!!! I don't want to skip all the fun, but I was hoping for ideas, similar to the glass bottom boat, that at least offered her an alternative. I honestly think that I will check into a boat tour that goes to sting ray city that will allow her to watch from the deck. She loves sting rays, and I'm hoping that the "missing out" will make her conquer the fear a little. (She's not scared of sting rays, LOL, that seems so silly)

I would check out Moby Dicks.They do stingray city and snorkel tours .

When we went years ago their were people that didnt snorkel or didnt want to swim with the rays and they just sat on the boat and watched

I think if she realizes how fun the stingrays are she may try it (we didnt see any fish either)

Maybe youtube some videos and show her how fun it is .good luck

Archived