mps Amsterdam review

SALAD MUNCHER

Having just returned from the “8 Days Four River Cruise” on the mps Amsterdam I felt compelled to write a short review on my experience. Prior to departing for this trip I had read many very negative posts regarding the River Cruise Line and in particular the mps Amsterdam and Lady Anne on the cruise critic River Cruises forum. Consequently I was dreading the trip, fearing that I might as well have flushed my money down the toilet! However I decided to go along with an open mind and see for myself the reality of the situation.

The pickup and travel to the ship went like clockwork. We were picked up on time, managed to get on the early ferry across to Calais, and arrived at the ship by 6.30pm the same day. On arrival we were ushered into the lounge to have a welcome talk / drink whilst our luggage was removed from the coaches and into our cabins. After around 10mims we were told our luggage was all in place and we could therefore go to our cabins whenever we wished. Members of the ship’s crew were standing around the decks showing everyone to their cabins or giving any other assistance when needed. The ship’s crew members were always immaculately dressed, exceedingly polite, friendly and helpful and went out of their way to assist.

We were shown to our cabin, No. 60, on the promenade deck, next to the dining room. I admit when I saw the size of the cabin I was surprised at the size, although it was not as small as I was expecting after reading the forum comments! It measured approx 11 ft by 8ft, with two single bunks folded up against the wall during the day. These were both let down (during dinner) and put back up (during breakfast) each day by the cabin steward, so caused no inconvenience at all. However some of the passengers requested at least one was left down in case they wanted a snooze during the day! When both bunks were fully down, we had around 2ft gap between each bunk, so if one had to go to the bathroom it was not a problem. The wardrobe was small, only being around 2ft wide, but there were 3 cupboards, a long shelf and a drawer which could be utilised for storage. The cabin also had air conditioning, two separate reading lights above each bunk, and a large picture window. The en suite was a reasonable size and contained a toilet, sink and shower. The shower was in the continental style of a drain in the floor with a shower curtain which pulled across, however there was a small raised threshold separating the shower area from the toilet, so if you were careful the water stayed within the confines of the shower. There was an unlimited supply of hot water, even during peak times before dinner when everyone would probably be using their showers.

The public space on board consisted of the sun deck, where there were enough chairs, table or sun beds to accommodate everyone, the lounge bar on the main deck which again had enough seating for everyone and the restaurant. Whilst the boat was originally built in the mid 1970s, it has to be said that the fittings. Furnishings and general visual condition of the boat was of a very high order, in fact my husband was convinced it had just had a refurb, but the Captain confirmed this was not the case but that it was continuously maintained. This was evident as we left the boat for the tours; the deck crew were already outside the boat painting.

Food on the whole was good. Breakfast was a buffet, including fruit juices, cereals, dried and fresh fruit and yogurts. A wide selection of breads, cakes, cheeses and cooked meat, as well as a hot buffet of eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms and baked beans. Lunch was a set three course meal consisting of a soup, a main course and a sweet followed by coffee or tea. Dinner was a four course meal, with a choice of main course and desert, with always a salad type starter, followed by soup beforehand. Again tea and coffee were served at the end. The only thing I did not like was the fact most of the vegetables were obviously either tinned or frozen as were some of the deserts.

The itinery was followed to the letter and all of the excursions were excellent value for money, particularly if you bought the ‘package’, where you received a discount.

There were two evenings where we were all served a complimentary cocktail before dinner, on the second night, the ‘Captain’s welcome’ and on the penultimate night, ‘The Captain’s Party Night’. I was most impressed by the dress standards adhered to aboard the ship. Everyone without exception dressed for dinner, maybe not in tux and ball gowns, but nevertheless in very smart attire. However, the age group of the passengers was around 50 to 80 yrs old and all British therefore I expected this to be the case.

Along with the ship’s crew there were two River Cruise Line members of staff, the Cruise Director and the Cruise Manager, both were, friendly and very helpful, and two or three times during the week they arranged a music quiz or such like after dinner. There was also a lone singer / musician who played and sang each evening in the guest lounge.

Drink prices were reasonable and far cheaper than ocean cruise lines, 15 to 17 Euros for a good bottle of wine, 2.5 to 4 Euros for beer, 5 to 6 Euros for cocktails and all with no 15% service charge normally levied on ocean cruises!!

The only real negative in my opinion was that on a number of days the Captain would sail away extremely early. On the first day in particularly it was 2.30am and on other days at 4am or 4.30am and the noise and vibrations from the engines were extremely loud in our particular cabin, it would wake us up and consequently it was then difficult to get back to sleep. However after speaking to other passengers on board about this problem it seems the closer you are to the back of the ship the louder the noise.

In conclusion I would say this trip would not suit someone who wanted to be entertained day and night. The routine seemed to be after breakfast most passengers would gather in either the lounge or sun deck and read or do the day’s quiz. The ship usually arrived at the destination around lunchtime. Immediately after lunch the excursions would leave, and those not on these could venture off into the local area to explore. Dinner would be at 7pm and after dinner most people would again congregate in one of the two areas. In the lounge bar music would be played by the resident singer or on the sun deck you could sit and watch the world go by.

We saw many times during the trip more modern boats sailing along the Rhine, Avalon looking the most impressive with hotel sized bedrooms and balconies in most of the cabins, but having checked their pricing structure it was evident they are charging £200+ per person per day. On The River Cruise Line, prices range from £80 per person per day (lower deck with obstructed views) to £130 per person per day for a Promenade cabin with picture window.

Everyone I spoke to had really enjoyed themselves, including me and my husband, and felt they had received very good value for their money. I will definitely be looking at future opportunities to travel with this company again.

As a footnote, I do not usually use budget cruise lines, in fact my last three cruises have been with Cunard as a Queens Grill passenger, but my aim with this review was to be fair and balanced, and I believe I have achieved this. What I have gained from this triip is the knowledge "cheap doesn't always mean poor!" ;)

Archived