Are the taxis really safe??

Motorcycle Gma

I told a friend I was just going to hire one of those taxis at the end of the port area to take us around. I want to see the Monastery (mainly the view), the fortress and finish in old town. My friend said tourists have been kidnapped by cabs & she highly suggested I re-think this. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts!

From what I've read on CC, everyone seems to recommend the taxis and haven't had problems with safety. I can't afford the private tours as there are only two of us. HELP!

I told a friend I was just going to hire one of those taxis at the end of the port area to take us around. I want to see the Monastery (mainly the view), the fortress and finish in old town. My friend said tourists have been kidnapped by cabs & she highly suggested I re-think this. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts!

From what I've read on CC, everyone seems to recommend the taxis and haven't had problems with safety. I can't afford the private tours as there are only two of us. HELP!

The licensed taxi drivers who pick up at the ports have never been a problem for us over many years of cruising.

Just be sure you agree on the fare and amount of time before you get into the taxi. Also, it is a good idea to write down the places you want to see and go over the list with the driver before you come to an agreement on the time and price.

Tourists provide a pretty good living for the drivers and their families, and the licensed ones do not want bad publicity so they take care of you. Most are pretty nice people and can make your tour very interesting. You are visiting their home turf and most are proud to show you the best of it.

We took a taxi in Cartagena from the port into the city and then had the driver stay with us the entire time until we returned and thought the driver was courteous and very safe and actually he drove much safer than many taxi drivers in our own country.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
We took a taxi in Cartagena from the port into the city and then had the driver stay with us the entire time until we returned and thought the driver was courteous and very safe and actually he drove much safer than many taxi drivers in our own country.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. Still trying to decide whether to taxi it or go with Dora tour. Decisions! Funny, your comment about the drivers. :)

Chick58, we found that the taxi was cheaper than many of the tours.

Motercycle Gma, we were very pleased with the taxi driver. We will be back in Cartagena again this January and will get a taxi again.

I just want to note that from the pier you will walk about five minutes (you could take a little shuttle) and then when you exit the building there will be people in similar tops trying to sell you on private tours. They are pushy and I would ignore them. Keep walking and you will see an area with some taxis and a lead person who speaks english. Just talk through what you want to do such as the length of the cab ride and where you want to go and he'll set a price with you. We found this to work very well.

Keith

Chick58, we found that the taxi was cheaper than many of the tours.

Motercycle Gma, we were very pleased with the taxi driver. We will be back in Cartagena again this January and will get a taxi again.

I just want to note that from the pier you will walk about five minutes (you could take a little shuttle) and then when you exit the building there will be people in similar tops trying to sell you on private tours. They are pushy and I would ignore them. Keep walking and you will see an area with some taxis and a lead person who speaks english. Just talk through what you want to do such as the length of the cab ride and where you want to go and he'll set a price with you. We found this to work very well.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I've read up on it and found we can probably get to La Popa, the fort and to old town for $20 or $30. We're having another couple join us so we'll have to look for a mini-van. Are there any of those there? Did you go to San Felipe? I'm still looking for advice on how much or little time to alot there & nobody has responded! Thanks

Motorcycle GMA, we did go to San Felipe. We didn't spend a lot of time there. Allow a lot of time to walk the old town area. We also went to the fort.

My wife and I took the taxi by ourselves but I know some couples took taxis so I am sure they got taxi vans.

Again, you will be stopped (harassed is a better description) as you leave the building and jus ignore those people. They are very aggressive and try to charge a lot. Just walk further until you are outside and you will come to the taxi area.

Keith

Archived