Taxi clarification

beaglesails

Tons of great info here. Thanks!

I'm hoping for a quick clarification on taxi info if anybody can help. In order to get to Mahahual, I've read three taxi options:

1) Cab/bus from inside the port area. This will most likely drop passengers off at the business that they have a relationship with.

2) Cab from the taxi stand near Hardrock. This will drop passengers off right where they request in Mahahual (ex: directly to Tropicante).

3) This is the one I'm not sure of. I've also read people talking about catching a taxi immediately outside the port area (i.e. not walking down to Hardrock).

Questions:

a) Does the third option exist? If so, can someone tell me more about it?

b) How far outside the port area is the taxi stand near Hardrock? How far of a walk?

c) When taking a taxi back from Tropicante or wherever, where will it drop us off? Just outside the port or down by the Hardrock?

Thanks in advance!

There are no other ways into town unless you rent a golf cart and those can be rented inside the port. They are more $ but they also limit the time you can spend in the town beccause of the return policies. The taxis must only pick up at a stand and they each have to wait their turn and so forth. Taxis are union run in Mexico and they keep the process orderly and are typical in other places you'll stop, like Cozumel. That stand is a couple hundred yards from the port gates. All returns to the port are by taxi and if you have the driver show your ship ID, they can take you inside the gates but no matter, they drop you at the gate, not the taxi stand that you left from. The inside transportation is contracted by the port with a private company and all inside vehicles work through that company. If you are fine with strolling, those shuttles are fine. If you need a specific location, they are not as good as the taxis.

• 2 weeks later...

We walked to the Hard Rock taxi stand took me right to Tropicante $2 per person. Hard Rock is closed down. The taxisinside the port will sometimes take you to a friends place or tell you the Tropicante is closed. The goverment and people give Steve a hard time because he is an American eventhough he hires local people.I was at the Tropicante Thursday.

Archived