My 4 year old is a cruise freak

kaylaw25

So I think I've turned my son into a cruise freak. But he's never actually been on a cruise before! The only thing he ever talks about lately is when he will go on his 1st cruise. I asked what he wanted to do for his 5th bday in December he says; "Mom I want to go on the big ship" maybe he hears his dad & I discuss our cruises & it makes him want to go.

So the question is: Is a cruise for a 5th birthday going "overboard"?

I see nothing wrong with instilling a passion for cruising :D

My 5 yr old just took her 10th cruise last week. She is just as big of a cruise junkie as I am. (Makes her mama proud! :) I was pregnant a chunk of this year combined with waiting for DD #2 to be age eligible to sail. As a result we couldn't really vacation as much as we usually do. She new that I was too far along in my pregnancy to sail anymore. Towards the end of my pregnancy, my 5yr old was getting restless and she said Mommy, "I have an idea, why don't we just leave baby sister with Daddy and you and I can go cruising." If only it worked like that! :)

On a more serious note, I like the idea of making the trip a birthday present for both and taking 1 night to celebrate each persons birthday. I would also explain that he won't get as many toys because the cruise is part of his present. A good way to offset the cost and teach him that money is not an infinite resource. In our house all 4 of our birthdays are almost exactly 2 wks apart. It is a very expensive time of the year. We are already talking about taking a cruise next year to celebrate all of our birthdays.

LOL I love this thread - I have enjoyed reading about all the young cruisers and cruiser-wanna-be's! :D Our family Disney cruise does fall at our youngest granddaughter's 1st birthday (next May) but she is oblivious to that, since she is only 4 months old now...her 5 yr old sister on the other hand, can hardly stand the wait! She watched us on the webcam as we sailed out of Pt Canaveral on Freedom of the Seas this past February, and was so excited when she could actually see us on the deck waving to her while talking to her the phone! Hahaha We save coins for use towards our next cruise, so she has always heard me say "Cruise Fund!" as I drop coins in the jar. Now she has her own cruise fund going at her house (last count was around $30 I think) - just the other day, she found a quarter in a parking lot and as she picked it up she shouted out "Nana - Cruise Fund!" Just this past Sunday, she and I watched the Carnival, RCI & Disney ships sail out of PC on the webcam...yep she's on her way to being a cruise-aholic too! I love it!!! :)

My little nephew, the five year old was so cute. Last year me and my mom were going on a cruise and my sister told him we were going on vacation on a big boat. He was four almost five at the time. He said I want to go with you. I like big boats. Take me with you. I was like you think we can smuggle him on LOL. I just know he would love it and have such a good time!!!

I fell in love with cruising and after 2 cruises decided it was time to take the kids. My eldest 2 daughters had a blast, my eldest son was bored out of his mind, my second eldest son was horribly motion sick and layed in the cabin 7 out of the 9 days at sea and my baby is my travel-bug (4 yrs old first cruise). He took a cruise with me last november and I would travel with him anywhere anytime! We had an amazing time together. That being said I am travelling this november with his step dad and he is super bummed that he can't join us. My poor motion sick boy is super bummed and asks when he will be old enough to come along but his stomach just has problems with everything including the flights, ship, changes in temperature, changes in food etc, which just doesnt allow him to enjoy the trip as much as his younger brother. So I just tell him in a few years he may enjoy it more.

Enjoy your lil travel partner its wonderful to cruise with lil ones at that age!

Absolutely not! Mt son is 5 years old and because his birthday is at the end of February it just happened that our first cruise was his first birthday so every year we go on a cruise to celebrate his birthday (and to have a good time as well). Cruises are perfect for kids, especially ones that already talk and understand everything, so I think it will be a great present.

• 5 weeks later...

I had to revive this thread since it's not too old, and it's cute.

MIL was just visiting and told DS: "you'll have to come to visit grandma soon" (as if we haven't already been there twice this year. :rolleyes: )

DS says:"but Emma would be lonely.' (Emma being our dog.)

MIL says: "What about when you go on your cruise next month?"

DS thinks for about 2 seconds and says: "Emma can go to Zoeys!" (Which is where we board her.)

At least the kid has his priorities right!

I'm bringing my son on his first cruise this January.He is 4, I am nervous and excited at the same time.He can't wait to go on the big boat to the ocean and islands..He tells his classmates(preschool) that hes going to Hawaii (I wish) I think its because he knows that is an island so he assumed all islands in the ocean are Hawaii :) 'm hoping for not too many meltdowns but prepared ..

I also can't wait we will still be on winter break from school.My DH and I went back to school,Its right after Christmas and my b day :) and as usual its nice to go somewhere warm in the middle of winter.

Archived