Jutting Balconies Question

scotty22

I was on the Grand this past summer and noticed the jutting balconies below us from our balcony room. At Xmas we are on the Caribbean in a guaranteed mini-suite, presumably on a lower deck. Does the Caribbean have the same type of jutting balcony layout?

I was on the Grand this past summer and noticed the jutting balconies below us from our balcony room. At Xmas we are on the Caribbean in a guaranteed mini-suite, presumably on a lower deck. Does the Caribbean have the same type of jutting balcony layout?
Yes. Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies are totally uncovered and Emerald deck mini-suite balconies are totally covered. If you have a mini-suite Guarantee booking you will have an almost 100% chance of being assigned a Dolphin deck mini-suite with a totally uncovered balcony.

If you have a mini-suite Guarantee booking you will have an almost 100% chance of being assigned a Dolphin deck mini-suite with a totally uncovered balcony.
I agree. You will likely be on Dolphin deck with an exposed balcony. The only difference between AA, AB and AC mini-suites is location on Dolphin deck. AA is mid-ship, AB is either further forward or aft, and AC is either forward or aft.

All that said, we just got off the Ruby from our 12 night Grand Mediterranean cruise,. We were upgraded to a Dolphin Deck Mini Suite and loved it. This is the first time we have had an open top balcony. The sky at night or at sunset was amazing on the open top balcony and Sunrise was also a treat. As long as you do not do a couple of things on the balcony like Sunbathing nude :eek: or joining the "Balcony Club" :eek::eek: there is no disadvantage to the open top balcony. Of course if it is raining, you would need an umbrella but we did not experience that. I would book one of those cabins again anytime, especially if it is a free upgrade!:D

All that said, we just got off the Ruby from our 12 night Grand Mediterranean cruise,. We were upgraded to a Dolphin Deck Mini Suite and loved it. This is the first time we have had an open top balcony. The sky at night or at sunset was amazing on the open top balcony and Sunrise was also a treat. As long as you do not do a couple of things on the balcony like Sunbathing nude :eek: or joining the "Balcony Club" :eek::eek: there is no disadvantage to the open top balcony. Of course if it is raining, you would need an umbrella but we did not experience that. I would book one of those cabins again anytime, especially if it is a free upgrade!:D

I keep saying the same thing and yet people keep fretting over the open minis. There are few things in life better than sipping a drink on an open balcony with an unobstructed view of the stars and sky above.

Yes. Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies are totally uncovered and Emerald deck mini-suite balconies are totally covered. If you have a mini-suite Guarantee booking you will have an almost 100% chance of being assigned a Dolphin deck mini-suite with a totally uncovered balcony.
I have no problems with the Dolphin deck minis. We have had three in past cruises. We had a wonderful Balcony Dinner in D400 on the Sapphire last year on our overnight in Cabo. Just wanted to let OP what to expect.

Hubby and I ALWAYS book our cabins on the Dolphin deck. OMG, like the other posters have said, there is nothing that compares to going out on your balcony at night, recline and look straight up to the stars. You feel all of the breeze that you don't get on the covered balconies. It's AWESOME!! Oh, and we've NEVER had anything thrown down on us from the above balconies. Not to say it couldn't happen but it's never happened to us or anyone we've spoken to.

We have always enjoyed our minis on the Dophin Deck and haven't minded the balcony being uncovered at all. We are on the Island Princess this October on the Dolphin Deck and recently found out that our cabin balcony is actually covered (aft cabins). So, I guess I will find out which I like better!

We have always enjoyed our minis on the Dophin Deck and haven't minded the balcony being uncovered at all. We are on the Island Princess this October on the Dolphin Deck and recently found out that our cabin balcony is actually covered (aft cabins). So, I guess I will find out which I like better!

Having spent some serious time on both types. I can say that the main factor seems to be RAIN. Covered is much better in the rain. Alaska can be rainy, but not always. No rain?? Uncovered!

JMHO.

I keep saying the same thing and yet people keep fretting over the open minis. There are few things in life better than sipping a drink on an open balcony with an unobstructed view of the stars and sky above.

Hubby and I ALWAYS book our cabins on the Dolphin deck. OMG, like the other posters have said, there is nothing that compares to going out on your balcony at night, recline and look straight up to the stars. You feel all of the breeze that you don't get on the covered balconies. It's AWESOME!! Oh, and we've NEVER had anything thrown down on us from the above balconies. Not to say it couldn't happen but it's never happened to us or anyone we've spoken to.

I'm with all of you!:):) I have sailed in a couple of dolphin deck minis and love them for the same reasons you do. Each and every night, I would go to the Wheelhouse Bar, grab a Kahlua and Creme and then go out on my balcony and enjoy the evening sky. I also love that there are no balconies below you so it seems like you are just hanging off the edge of the ship while you are out on your balcony. Only oceanview below. Boy, I wish I was on a dolphin mini right now.......

Archived