Scooter question

lisaf1

For those of you who have used a scooter on the cruise, will the crew help you get off the ship in port with the scooter? We need to rent one for my dad and I was wondering how we get him into port with the scooter.

Thanks,

Lisa

If you mean up and down the gangway, yes if needed they will help.......kind of depends on what you mean by help, how much assistance you need, and your comfort level with the help being given.

That said...IME (i have a friend who uses a scooter..) the crew are great with them usually...

(hope that made sense...)

hth

Last year we sailed FOS. My father drove his on and while on the cruise it broke down. We taged the scooter and called the customer service desk and the baggage folks delivered it the to the baggage area in the terminal. Based on our experience I would say RCCL would accomidate you in what ever way you need...

Earl & Kathy

For those of you who have used a scooter on the cruise, will the crew help you get off the ship in port with the scooter? We need to rent one for my dad and I was wondering how we get him into port with the scooter.

Thanks,

Lisa

Yes the crew will assist . However since you are renting a scooter, you need to know that the crew is often to quick to just push the scooter when in drive which can damage the motor. If your father is able to walk up/down the gangway with assistance it would be better to get off the scooter. Than place the scooter in neutral gear ( lever is generally located below the seat on the top of the motor casing. Once in neutral the crew can just roll the scooter down/up the gangway.

If there are any tendered ports on your itinerary you need to be prepared for the fact that it is RCCL's policy not to allow scooters to be tendered.

Read this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=getting_on_and_off_the_ship

A scooter isn't going to be practical in Labadee, I don't think, since it's mostly sand that you will walk on. It's been several years since I was there last and I know there have been a lot of updates over those years, maybe there are more paved paths now. However, they DID have those balloon-type wheel chairs (wheels are big, inflated tires instead of small, rigid ones) that make pushing it over the sand pretty easy. When we took my elderly grandmother and aunt ashore, we just grabbed a couple of those to push them around in (cannot be self-propelled) and we all had a great day. So urge your dad to not skip this port just because he cant use his scooter in the sand.

Thanks for the replies.. I was worried how we would get him up and down the gangway. I feel better now...

Can Scooters be used in Labadee?

Lisa

Have been to Labadee and I am a scooter user. Wasn't able to go much past the pier near the little shops as a scooter is not practical in Labadee . It cannot be driven on sand. There are limited pathways that scooter can be driven on. The sand can damage the motor and render it useless. Also since it's a rental you'll have to pay full replacement value if damaged.

If planning to take him to Labadee than you should also consider renting a wheelchair as well. Once on Labadee you can than located a beach wheelchair that RCCL's provides free on a first come first served basis. Also a wheelchair will come in handi if you are planning any excursions as the tour buses do not have accessible lifts.

Archived