Thomson Cruises Future Plans

Been reading an interesting article from here:

http://www.latecruisenews.com/2012/09/10/hapag-lloyd-cruises-to-expand-internationally-other-cruise-news-carnival-uk%E2%80%99s-commercial-management-thomson-cruises%E2%80%99-future-plans-berlitz-best-ships-for-2013/

It's an interview with Fraser Ellacott, the MD of Thomson Cruises. Most of the interview is just stating what Thomson are doing with Platinum upgrades, but there is a little bit regarding the possible future that Thomson might go down (have to stress the might though).

This is the article:

Thomson Cruises’ Future Plans

A profile of Thomson Cruises’ new managing director Fraser Ellacott in last week’s Travel Weekly revealed that he is actually an airline man, and a technical one at that. After graduating from Glasgow University with a degree in aeronautical engineering, he worked for British Airways for fifteen years, holding engineering, operational and commercial roles.

From British Airways, he moved to First Choice as their engineering director and was there when it merged with Thomson in 2007. Ellacott then became engineering director of a combined charter airline with 80 aircraft and 700 engineers (some may remember that Thomson’s in house airline was once called Britannia).

When he became head of Thomson Cruises sixteen months ago he had never even set foot on a cruise ship (so at least he has not learned any bad habits). Among recent moves at Thomson Cruises has been the creation of a Platinum level, whereby first the Thomson Dream and then the Thomson Celebration will join Thomson Cruises’ more upmarket Platinum Collection, something that it has adopted from its shoreside resorts. The ships are being refitted and redecorated to bring them more upmarket.

On the other hand, one ship, the Island Escape, which was taken over when Royal Caribbean withdrew from Island Cruises, continues as a buffet-style ship. This leaves Thomson Majesty, the line’s most recent acquisition from Louis Cruises, and Thomson Spirit, sister to the Thomson Celebration, as the odd men out.

One thing Ellacott said in his interview was an echo of something we had heard in the past — probably before the market crash in 2009. That is that Thomson has until now been surviving on second-hand tonnage, but when it comes to the next round there may not be suitable second-hand tonnage of the right size available as cruise ships have kept getting bigger — too big for Thomson.

So newbuildings may have to be part of the consideration when it comes time for fleet replacement. This is not the first time this subject has been mentioned in the context of Thomson Cruises.

The question then becomes, given that Thomson Cruises is part of the TUI empire, might we eventually see a smaller version of TUI Cruises’ STX Finland newbuildings coming to the UK? Coming from a technical and aviation background, Ellacott may have some different ideas here from the norm.'

Could it be that new-builds might finally be on the cards? As the article says, there isn't many second-hand ships with the right size tonnage available for the future, so new-builds might be the only possibility. Would a 70,000 tonne ship be too large? Would a ship that size really fit with the Thomson Cruises ethos? Interesting that it also talks about Majesty and Spirit being the odd ones out, both from Louis. I do have to wonder though whether an actual interview took place as there doesn't seem to be any direct quotes from him. At least it does seem though that he wants to take the business further and strengthen it, which can only be a good thing. Even if he had never stepped on a cruise ship before he started working for them. :confused:

I can't see any newbuilds appearing for several years. Thomson is the poor end of the market as far as ships are concerned. Suggest a 70,000 tonner to the bean counters and they will have a fit. How can you make a profit with only 2000 passengers:eek:

What is of more interest to me is what happens when Spirits charter runs out. hopefully she wil be got rid of and a newer ship with QUIET single cabins introduced. Or given the economic climate they could shift to a 3 ship operation.

At least 70,000 tonners can fit in the ports Thomson cruise to.

I can't see any newbuilds appearing for several years. Thomson is the poor end of the market as far as ships are concerned. Suggest a 70,000 tonner to the bean counters and they will have a fit. How can you make a profit with only 2000 passengers:eek:

What is of more interest to me is what happens when Spirits charter runs out. hopefully she wil be got rid of and a newer ship with QUIET single cabins introduced. Or given the economic climate they could shift to a 3 ship operation.

At least 70,000 tonners can fit in the ports Thomson cruise to.

Agree regarding new-builds. Think it's something that would definitely be wanted but will probably not happen for at least another 7 years. Hopefully, if TUI Cruises consider getting rid of one of their ships when their new-builds start sailing, maybe Thomson could lease one of them.

I'm guessing that Thomson Spirit's contract won't be renewed after 2014. After 11 years, I would think it would be given back, especially if no major refurbs are going to happen on it. It seems that it will be doing the ex-UK sailings for summer 2014, but then I'd guess it would be returned to Louis. I suppose if it does go to a three ship operation, ex-UK cruises would go. Hopefully something new might be introduced then. Celebration could then I suppose move to the ex-UK sailings, which doesn't help you at all regarding the single cabins!

Also, does Majesty's contract end when Destiny's was going to be originally,again 2014. If it does, then that's a two ship fleet Thomson's down too if neither are renewed.

Ahhh but, the UK cruise industry is expanding year on year at the cost of land based holidays, Tui wont want to lose those clients and may try to get them onto cruise ships, tempting them with bigger more resort like ships, they are probably watching the success of the 2 German Mein Shiff's which they sell to a similar demographic

"It's an interview with Fraser Ellacott, the MD of Thomson Cruises. Most of the interview is just stating what Thomson are doing with Platinum upgrades, but there is a little bit regarding the possible future that Thomson might GO DOWN (have to stress the might though)."

Maybe not the best choice of words for a cruise line forum discussion !!! :D

There was a lot of discussion on here about the platinum upgrade. I was of the school that it was a long overdue refurbishment and was the least that could be expected but with a preference for new ships (not all at once of course).

I stand by this view and am delighted to see new build being mentioned, even as a "might".

"It's an interview with Fraser Ellacott, the MD of Thomson Cruises. Most of the interview is just stating what Thomson are doing with Platinum upgrades, but there is a little bit regarding the possible future that Thomson might GO DOWN (have to stress the might though)."

Maybe not the best choice of words for a cruise line forum discussion !!! :D

:D! Never noticed that one!!! Perhaps it wasn't the best words to use! :)

Archived