Travel between Seatrac, hotel, peir ???

cjankowski

Hi If this is already out there I am sorry.

Some background first - my husband can walk short distances only and will be bringing his walker from home. We will rent a scooter and have it waiting for him on cruise. We plan to come into Seattle Airport on Wed afternoon/evening and leave for roundtrip cruise out of seattle port on friday.

We are looking for information about how to get to a good hotel location? Any ideas? We do not need to be in town. We like middle class hotels. There will be 5 people total.

Thinking we should rent a car instead of taxi, limo around? Is this a good idea? If so what / where / how do you get from car rental to port? Is there one that is located near the prot?

Thanks for any advice you can lend me to help make this trip easier on all of us. If these ideas do not sound correct, what suggestions can you lend to make it a bit easier?

Carol

I live in the seattle area but am not the best at recommending transport options. I occasionally use the shuttle express from the airport, but I know there are other companies that some recommend. Is your party going to book separate hotel rooms or are you looking for something to sleep 5?

One problem with renting a car is that wherever you drive to see attractions, you may pay quite a bit in parking fees. The convenience may be worth it to you, but be aware to factor this in. Many hotels will have a daily parking fee.

With any place you consider, it's best to check out the reviews on trip advisor. The area around Sea Tac can be a bit sketchy.

I have heard positive reports on the Silver Cloud at Lake union. They have free parking (not valet parking - that would be a charge) of 1 car per room, and also a free shuttle that goes to pike place market, pioneer square or the space needle. I read they drop off to the cruise port also. Personally I would skip the rental car & just pay to get to the hotel from the airport. I believe you'd need to book more than 1 room for 5 people.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=silver%20cloud%20inn%20lake%20union%20phone%20number&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.silvercloud.com%2Fseattlelakeunion%2F&ei=2v9UUMXfJIrriwKH9oGADg&usg=AFQjCNGwLr-1mMDrnB0NxEEgSxkTgCF1zA

I have heard positive reports on the Silver Cloud at Lake union. They have free parking (not valet parking - that would be a charge) of 1 car per room, and also a free shuttle that goes to pike place market, pioneer square or the space needle. I read they drop off to the cruise port also. Personally I would skip the rental car & just pay to get to the hotel from the airport. I believe you'd need to book more than 1 room for 5 people.

Thanks for the info. That looks like a nice hotel. A little pricey for me, but if they have all those free shuttles, it might be worth it. I have several months to decide.

Hi

I will look into it and rethink about the car. Do you know if they have parking lots to park in at the attractions in the city? Or is it public lots that you pay and walk to things?

As husband will only have walker during the days it is hard to walk distances, up & down hills, ect. So was thinking the rental car would be easier.

Any other help? If we were to rent hotel out of town how far away are things? How big is the city? Where is a good location to city / cruise termial to stay, location wise?

I am waiting on some books of the area, as I no nothing about this part of the US.

Thanks for your help.

Seattle is hilly.

We have stayed a the Red Lion Inn that was just a few blocks from Pike Market & Nordstrom down a gentle slope.

There is a Hertz/Budget around the corner.

Hotel parking in the downtown area ran about $40/day

Might be easier to take taxis.

Hi

I will look into it and rethink about the car. Do you know if they have parking lots to park in at the attractions in the city? Or is it public lots that you pay and walk to things?

As husband will only have walker during the days it is hard to walk distances, up & down hills, ect. So was thinking the rental car would be easier.

Any other help? If we were to rent hotel out of town how far away are things? How big is the city? Where is a good location to city / cruise termial to stay, location wise?

I am waiting on some books of the area, as I no nothing about this part of the US.

Thanks for your help.

There are parking lots reasonably near a lot of attractions (Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, the Chihuly Garden of Glass, the Ride the Ducks tour, Mariners games at Safeco Field) but you'll pay a LOT at most of them. I was at the Market the other day and paid $8.00 for less than two hours (and that was on the street--many of the lots are more!) Other areas, like Pioneer Square (the Klondike Gold Rush Museum, the Underground Tour, some really interesting shops and galleries and good restaurants) and the waterfront (Seattle Aquarium, the Great Wheel, lots of popular shops and restaurants) parking is tough to find at any price. Between parking costs and the price of the car, I don't know if you'd save much money over just taking taxis.

On the other hand, if you want to get out of the central city--places like the Boeing factory tour in Everett, Snoqualmie Falls, the Woodinville wineries, Mount Rainier, a rental car might be more practical. There are bus tours that go those places, but driving yourself would give you more flexibility and might actually save money. It would also make intermediate-distance places (the Ballard Locks, the Museum of Flight) easier to get to cabs there are do-able, but not cheap.

If you have multiple days to tour around the area, you might want to get a car for one or two days to see the out-of-the-city sights, and return it and take taxis another day or two to see the stuff that's reasonably near downtown. And if you just have a day or two...personally, I wouldn't recommend renting a car.

Archived