NCL--Good Choice for Singles?

bcc99

I haven't sailed with NCL for a while, but it looks like I'll probably be trying them next year. I had asked about this on the NCL board, but maybe the single cruisers would be able to answer it better. Specifically, does the whole Freestyle dining arrangement work out allright when you're traveling by yourself? Knowing that I have assigned tablemates has always reduced my anxiety when I've cruised single before...I'm a pretty independent guy, but the though of having to eat by myself in public still moderately freaks me out. Any thoughts on this or any other aspects of NCL would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

I responded on your other thread asking basically the same question. On a recent repositioning 15 day cruise I simply asked the Hostess for a sharing table at every meal I took in the dining room. With freestyle dining you have three opportunities each day to meet new people at a meal. Usually I took lunch at the buffet and if I saw someone I had previously spoken with I sat with them other wise I took an empty table and let people come to me.

As to numbers of singles on the cruise, I was surprised at the low number of solos on this cruise. I would guess there were no more than 3- 6 men and about the same number of women. Although there did seem to be about 20 other women who were sharing cabins, hard to say if they were single and sharing or with significant others.

Unless you are looking to make the cruise into a personal relationship hunt, being one of a few singles seemed to work as the rest of the passengers seemed interested in getting to know the solo folks.

Have a blast.

One of the reasons I stay away from any ship that has open seating or freestyle seating, is the whole issue of not having an assigned table from which to make friends early on in the cruise---plus I really like having the same waitstaff every night. But, even though NCL would probably be the last line I would want to cruise with, you can have fun on any ship as long as you're friendly and open to new experiences, but for some reason, it seems that NCL attracts less singles than RCCI, Carnival or Princess. On those lines, whenever I've been on one of their ships, there seems to be more than a fair share of singles.

bcc99 -- NCL freestyle dining offers something called "a table to share". What happens is when you go to the host/hostess in the dining room, you tell him/her now many in your party & ask for a table to share. You'll be shown to a table for 10. That way you'll get to meet new people.

bcc99 -- NCL freestyle dining offers something called "a table to share". What happens is when you go to the host/hostess in the dining room, you tell him/her now many in your party & ask for a table to share. You'll be shown to a table for 10. That way you'll get to meet new people.

Sounds similar to the open seatings I've had on other ships, except that it's every meal instead of just breakfast/lunch...which works out great, because I've always enjoyed meeting interesting people at open seatings!

Having sailed freestyle and traditional 5x since 1999 it is EXACTLY like open seating for breakfast/lunch on traditional ships. If you find really great people NCL you can always broach the subject of meeting up again for another meal and you can choose the time not stuck with early/late.

Sounds similar to the open seatings I've had on other ships, except that it's every meal instead of just breakfast/lunch...which works out great, because I've always enjoyed meeting interesting people at open seatings!

You're exactly right. I'd forgotten about open seating at breakfast & lunch b/c I didn't enjoy those meals anywhere but at the buffet, so I skipped the dining room all together on my last cruise. But, as you pointed out, the concept is the same.

• 1 month later...
I haven't sailed with NCL for a while, but it looks like I'll probably be trying them next year. I had asked about this on the NCL board, but maybe the single cruisers would be able to answer it better. Specifically, does the whole Freestyle dining arrangement work out allright when you're traveling by yourself? Knowing that I have assigned tablemates has always reduced my anxiety when I've cruised single before...I'm a pretty independent guy, but the though of having to eat by myself in public still moderately freaks me out. Any thoughts on this or any other aspects of NCL would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

hey bcc! I'm cruising single on NCL in Sept! On the Majesty to Bermuda.....my first time goin' it alone. Any suggestions, tips? Feel like booking it, too so we will both have a tablemate at dinner? haha

-Sarah (age 33) ....and cute as a button, I might add.

HAL's already got my wallet for this year...otherwise I'd certainly consider it! Still haven't decided what NCL cruise I'll be doing next year. The Carnival Liberty 16-day transatlantic crossing in November of 2006 is getting a lot of attention from me these days, too. :D I work with a guy who's been on the Majesty, and he said he enjoyed it immensely--you'll have a great time!

Archived