Cabins for 3....

I Love NC

What is your experience with the set up of the beds in the obstructed view cabins for parents with an 8 yr. old.

Our child is somewhat afraid of heights, not sure he'd sleep in a bunk and we are too heavy for the bunk......could we put the mattress on the floor for him???

Any tips that have worked for you. We see some rooms will accommodate a rollaway, but were told there are a limited number since they are used for the quads.

We are looking at the Caribbean Princess. Thank you in advance for your help!!

What is your experience with the set up of the beds in the obstructed view cabins for parents with an 8 yr. old.

Our child is somewhat afraid of heights, not sure he'd sleep in a bunk and we are too heavy for the bunk......could we put the mattress on the floor for him???

Any tips that have worked for you. We see some rooms will accommodate a rollaway, but were told there are a limited number since they are used for the quads.

Talked directly to Princess . They have rooms where the sofa converts into a bed for two .

Yes, you can move the mattress on to the floor for him. The upper bunks also have restraint bars so that might ease his fears. The upper bunks will accommodate the weight of an adult if you can manage to climb up there. I know men over 200 pounds who have used the upper bunks.

Talked directly to Princess . They have rooms where the sofa converts into a bed for two .

The only cabins I am aware of that have a convertible sofabed are suites and mini suites. Those sofabeds convert into a bed for one, not two. The OP is booked in an obstructed view cabin and would have to pay considerably more to upgrade to a mini suite or suite.

A mini-suite, which is the only cabin type other than a full suite, has a couch that opens into a bed for one, not two. (see below)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347725226.091775.jpg.cd5a7957f184adb0a1b3e55d8f09cb56.jpg

An obstructed view cabin, or any oceanview or standard balcony cabin for that matter, does not have the floor space for a mattress. The OP's options are limited: either use the bunk bed or book a mini-suite. :(

The uppers that I have had each were equiped with a rail to prevent falls to the floor. On her first cruise, at 8 yo, my daughter was a little hesitant about what she knew of bunk beds. She is not afraid of heights, just had a bad perception of bunk beds. I explained to her that an "upper" bed on a cruise ship was not allowed for everyone. Only special sailors get to have a bed that drops from the ceiling and wall. I think she was still hesitant we we embarked and that the upper is not down in the day but once we got back to cabin after the show she got all excited about it and she made it her own special place.

Hopefully your son will embrace the coolness of having a sailor's bunk. It is my unerstanding that they may not set up a roll-away for a cabin of three that has three beds and little extra space.

Happy cruising.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

My son is not comfortable climbing up on the bunk either. Which has meant that I have to sleep on it. It is okay once you're on it, but getting up and down really isn't fun.

The next cruise we're paying a little extra and getting a mini-suite. I'm really looking forward to all of us being able to sleep in beds! My son, 12 now, can have the couch.

I supposed you could put a mattress on the floor, but there won't be much walking space left.

Our family solution several years ago - we all thought the bunk would work but when we realized it was a "no go" for our young grandson, his parents took the bunk mattress and put it on the floor where the closet is located (pushed up against the wall, it just fit). Of course you loose that space for any type of floor storage, and must shorten all hang up clothes such as dresses and pants, but it worked ok for them. The cabin steward set it up each evening and in the am, put the mattress back on the bunk bed.

Archived