Tunis - Still Going???

VABeach

There is no advice in place against others travelling to Tunisia. E.g. Here is the advice for U.K. Citizens:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/tunisia

I would guess that Tunis will remain on MSC's itineraries.

While the risk may be small and easily manageable, U.S. citizens' travel insurance won't be valid possibly for the whole trip - you know what inurance companies are like. Either travel at your own risk or request a refund from MSC based upon the U.S. Government's official advice.

Good evening Cruise Critic friends-

At this time MSC Cruises is monitoring the situation occurring Tunisia; however our operations to visit this port are still running as normal. Our passengers safety are our first priority and we will be monitoring this situation throughout.

HAPPY SAILINGS!

Thank you for your replys. I often feel that our (Western) Media sensationalizes things way out of perspective and was hoping to get input from others on this particular situation. Since no one seems to feel a great deal of "Concern" for this "Situation", I will plan on enjoying my stop at Tunis.

Thank you. :)

I will be taking an MSC cruise in late October 2012 and stopping at Tunis but this "little green donkey" will not be disembarking in North Africa. Today the Australian government issued a warning cautioning citizens entering Tunisia and cautioning any travel to areas near the boarders of Algeria and Libya.

I value my life too much.

To MSC Cruises USA - thanks for taking the time to respond, I'm looking forward to visiting Tunis. We sail on 12th October but haven't yet booked a shore excursion. Hopefully we will be able to when we get onboard.:)

To MSC Cruises USA - thanks for taking the time to respond, I'm looking forward to visiting Tunis. We sail on 12th October but haven't yet booked a shore excursion. Hopefully we will be able to when we get onboard.:)

You're welcome! We will continously monitor the situation in Tunisia.

HAPPY SAILINGS all!

Hello, I am sailing on Oct. 20th and also have a stop in Tunisia on my itinerary, if we still stop in the port of La Goulette I am planing on going to see Sidi Bou Said, was also planning on going to the Medina and Souks in Tunis but not so sure about that now...... I'm sure if things degenerate in weeks to come that MSC will cancel this port of call and change to another safer place maybe in Spain, France or Italy. It's no big deal to me if La Goulette(Tunis) is cancelled since I've visited the country of Tunisia for a couple of weeks a few years back. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens........

Hi All,

i am just back from a week on the MSC Fantasia, and we stopped in Tunis.

I have to say I really enjoyed here, found it the nicest and cleanest port we arrived at. And the people were very nice and friendly. It was the only port that greeted our ship with drums/camels/dancing etc...so no sleep on here!

We didnt go to Medina, but we went to Carthage (amazing history and ruins) and then to Sid Bou Said, which is a really nice and pretty small village a few miles away. Bought a few bits and pieces here and had a drink and small lunch.

We just got a taxi (€40) to bring us to both places and back again (extra for entrance to the sites)

all in all, tunis was a lovely place to stop and we didnt see any problems at all, and was glad to have had the chance to visit.

Hi Tazzer,

Can you tell us a little more about your experience with that taxi tour? We were initially thinking about taking a cab to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, but are now leaning towards staying on the ship.

We have two small kids, 5 and 7 and don't want to take any chances. I don't think we could ever forgive ourselves if something happened to the kids.

Do you feel it would be absolutely sefe to go?

Hi All,

i am just back from a week on the MSC Fantasia, and we stopped in Tunis.

I have to say I really enjoyed here, found it the nicest and cleanest port we arrived at. And the people were very nice and friendly. It was the only port that greeted our ship with drums/camels/dancing etc...so no sleep on here!

We didnt go to Medina, but we went to Carthage (amazing history and ruins) and then to Sid Bou Said, which is a really nice and pretty small village a few miles away. Bought a few bits and pieces here and had a drink and small lunch.

We just got a taxi (€40) to bring us to both places and back again (extra for entrance to the sites)

all in all, tunis was a lovely place to stop and we didnt see any problems at all, and was glad to have had the chance to visit.

Thank you so much for the information!! It's helpful to those of us who haven't traveled yet to know what to do. Thank you again!

Hi Tazzer,

Can you tell us a little more about your experience with that taxi tour? We were initially thinking about taking a cab to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, but are now leaning towards staying on the ship.

We have two small kids, 5 and 7 and don't want to take any chances. I don't think we could ever forgive ourselves if something happened to the kids.

Do you feel it would be absolutely sefe to go?

Hi Alex71

sorry for delay in responding, but trying to catch up on 3 weeks work and emails! stress....but worth it :-)

Basically, you just leave the ship and go the the port. There are a few shops/spas and restaurants here if you didnt want to leave the area.

Inside the main area there are a few girls and they are the ones to book the taxis with. They show you where they go and you choose which one. They then give you a ticket and you go to the taxi line outside (after passport control) and get into taxi. Most people speak french and a good bit of English. You can go past the girls and walk to the train/other taxis, but to be honest this was quick and easy and price wasnt that much as far as I could see from speaking to others.

We choose just to go to carthage , this took only about 15 mins (stayed about an hour), the taxi driver stayed around and then brought us to Sidi (another 15 mins only). We walked around here and few photos of the lovely buildings and then just had a drink and bought a few bits and pieces from the market. Stayed about 1.5/2hours.

The taxi driver stayed around the whole time (we just told him how long we would be). Then he took us back to the ship - all for €40.00

There is an entrance fee to Carthage (which includes all other sites, but cant remember what they were!)...this you have to pay when you get there, but as we only had euro on us, the taxi driver bought ours...I think he added a bit more to the price though (€10 per person). And you

I honestly dont think you should worry, as they rely on tourism and everything seemed to be quite reasonable and above board. Also, you dont pay your taxi until you get back to the ship, and if there are any problems, there are officials/2 police (that I saw), that were around if any issues - not that we say any at all. Our issue was we couldnt get change to pay the taxi and they helped us and were very nice...

Hope thats enough, anything else let me know! But I would try to see the place...it is a lovely part of the world..

Hi Tazzer,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive advice. We were about to stay on board but are now reconsidering. Cathage and Sidi just look too interesting. We may end up taking the same tour you took. Thanks again, this was really helpful!

Hi Alex71

sorry for delay in responding, but trying to catch up on 3 weeks work and emails! stress....but worth it :-)

Basically, you just leave the ship and go the the port. There are a few shops/spas and restaurants here if you didnt want to leave the area.

Inside the main area there are a few girls and they are the ones to book the taxis with. They show you where they go and you choose which one. They then give you a ticket and you go to the taxi line outside (after passport control) and get into taxi. Most people speak french and a good bit of English. You can go past the girls and walk to the train/other taxis, but to be honest this was quick and easy and price wasnt that much as far as I could see from speaking to others.

We choose just to go to carthage , this took only about 15 mins (stayed about an hour), the taxi driver stayed around and then brought us to Sidi (another 15 mins only). We walked around here and few photos of the lovely buildings and then just had a drink and bought a few bits and pieces from the market. Stayed about 1.5/2hours.

The taxi driver stayed around the whole time (we just told him how long we would be). Then he took us back to the ship - all for €40.00

There is an entrance fee to Carthage (which includes all other sites, but cant remember what they were!)...this you have to pay when you get there, but as we only had euro on us, the taxi driver bought ours...I think he added a bit more to the price though (€10 per person). And you

I honestly dont think you should worry, as they rely on tourism and everything seemed to be quite reasonable and above board. Also, you dont pay your taxi until you get back to the ship, and if there are any problems, there are officials/2 police (that I saw), that were around if any issues - not that we say any at all. Our issue was we couldnt get change to pay the taxi and they helped us and were very nice...

Hope thats enough, anything else let me know! But I would try to see the place...it is a lovely part of the world..

Thank you for the reply. For those of us who are still over here trying to figure it out - this helps! :)

Thank you for the reply. For those of us who are still over here trying to figure it out - this helps! :)

Thank you for your replys. I often feel that our (Western) Media sensationalizes things way out of perspective and was hoping to get input from others on this particular situation. Since no one seems to feel a great deal of "Concern" for this "Situation", I will plan on enjoying my stop at Tunis.

No problem at all VABeach, I just feel it would be a shame to go all that way and just stay on the ship....I also agree with you on the "Situation" :D. We did feel completely safe and at ease there.

If you need any other information let me know. (while its still fresh in my head :-) )

Archived