Rotterdam transport to Amsterdam

cfs

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge re:ease of hiring a taxi when you arrive at Rotterdam pier to provide transportation into Amsterdam. Then what is the situation for the return to the ship from Amsterdam? I'd appreciate any advice or first-hand knowledge. Thank you.

You will be shocked by the taxifare for that stretch. Taxis in NL are expensive.

Depending on traffic it will last at least 1 hr, probably around 90 minutes or even more......

You might think about a train Rotterdam-Amsterdam, whcih runs abt. 4 times every hour. From the ship take a cab or tram to central station.

I know that many cruiselines offer transportation by bus rotterdam/amsterdam.

If you need more info let me know

Ine,

Thank you so much for responding. Do you think we will have any difficulty taking the train since we don't speak the language? Is the train station in Amsterdam centrally located to the city? There are several couples and we could take the ship's transportation or hire a private car. The private car gets costly since we have to pay for them to wait for us while sightseeing.

I've been to Holland three times. One of the things I enjoy about it is you can be walking down the street, hearing Dutch spoken all around you, realize you are lost, then ask for and receive directions in perfect English. The Dutch are required to study English from elementary school on so I don't think you will have any problems in that regard. The train station in Amsterdam is very centrally located to the city. In my opinion the best mode of transportation once you arrive at Central Station is by tram unless of course you will have a lot of luggage. As a single woman travelling alone, I had no problems. Amsterdam/Holland is very safe.

Like Ashley 44 tells you will hardly have any languageproblems, many people speak english.

But if you can make your own group it might be worth the ask for a quote for a prive car. I give you 2 links:

http://www.direxion.nl/EN_prices.php

http://www.bouwensbv.com/en-fleet-rates.htm

Maybe you also check with your cruise-line whether they offer any bustransfers rotterdam-amsterdam. Traffic is sometimes a problem and ships will wait for passangers with their tours, but not for private-tours.

Trains runs very frequently and amsterdam central station is in city-center. To get to Rotterdam central station you have to take a tram- which stops near eramusbrug (the big white bridge you see from the ship) or take a cab to the station.

Let me know if you need more help.

In the meantime I have some photos online about:

1. Star Princess visit to Rotterdam (we had a tour and lunch on board) and you can see the white bridge I wrote about in an earlier mail.

2 Century in Amsterdam.

you can check them on :http://community.webshots.com/user/inevdam

• 4 weeks later...
You will be shocked by the taxifare for that stretch. Taxis in NL are expensive.

Depending on traffic it will last at least 1 hr, probably around 90 minutes or even more......

You might think about a train Rotterdam-Amsterdam, whcih runs abt. 4 times every hour. From the ship take a cab or tram to central station.

I know that many cruiselines offer transportation by bus rotterdam/amsterdam.

If you need more info let me know

Major help! I use a wheelchair and understand that the subway (Metro) is completely accessible in Rotterdam. How about getting to Amsterdam via subway, light rail (schellbahn?) or by public bus? I was quoted $977 for 4 hours and $1729 for 8 hours by Royal Caribbean/Celebrity. These are minivans that accommadate 4 walkers, 1 wheelchair user and, I am assuming for the moment, a driver they provide. I lived in Germany and Rome for a total of some 8 years and would prefer using public transport if possible. And I do not walk. Not even the 3 steps up to the bus (man, does that get old). :-) I am also the planner for a group of 9 friends this trip. All but one very fit and active and the other is just a bit slow walking in heat. All information very much appreciated.

Anyone else wonder why the Celebrity site says we dock in Amsterdam and not in Rotterdam? Oh, is Rotterdam like Livorno where a person cannot walk/wheel themsleves off the dock becaiuse of machinery, etc and must have a form of transportation? Thanks! Sue

Northernlite, it is not clear to me where you dock or what ship you are on.

Only a few ships dock in Rotterdam(some Princess, HAL etc). Most ships dock in Amsterdam (also some HAL, all Celebrity, Costa etc.).

Rotterdam is the biggest port here, but mainly industrial. Only HAL used to sail from Rotterdam when still was sailing schedules Holland-America.Rotterdam just starts to try and get more cruiseships.

Amsterdam is the 2nd port in the country, but 99% of the cruiseships dockhere...By radition tourism is more around Amsterdam.

However, if you can only move in a wheelchair, I am sorry to say you have little options. We are not (yet) that wheelchair friendly as the US.

Public transport Rotterdam-Amsterdam is only by train, but hardly wheelchairfriendly (I can say more UNfriendly in fact).

Metro, subway, bus connections are absolutely no options for this stretch. Doesnot your ship offer any bustransfers?

If your ship docks in Rotterdam, maybe you might opt to stay in that region. Talk with a cabdriver at the terminal, maybe you get a deal with him to bring you e.g. to the city of Delft.

Another option is in Rotterdam one of the boatexcursions like Spido harbortours http://www.spido.nl/default-site.aspx?TaalID=2&BerichtID=6491&SoortID=1 leaving from the other side of the river (just cross Erasmusbridge).

Or a tour with Rebus boatexcursions: http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/Themapagina/topattracties/Rebus.asp?ComponentID=71656&SourcePageID=1469

Have another look at the site of the Rotterdam tourist board: http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/ If you click on attractions etc. you might find more options.

Let me know if I can do more for you

Ine,

We are on one of the few ships that docks in Rotterdam for the day. We will be in port from 8 am until 7pm September 21st. So you think we have enough time to do Amsterdam on our own, traveling by train? Also, what is the weather like in late September? Thank you so much. Karen

Karenam, the weather at the end of september is unpredictable (sp?). We have beautiful sunny days, but also rainy, windy and cold. I really cannot say, just better dress in layers and maybe take an umbrella.

You can go to Amsterdam by train, it takes about 1 hr from station to station, plus the extra in Rotterdam to go to the station etc.. However, I know many cruiselines offers shuttle-services to Amsterdam. At least you know for sure if any dealy in traffic happens, they will wait for you.This link is of the Amsterdam tourist board: http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Another option which is easy is to go to the city of Delft instead. Only 20 minutes by train, nice old city too.You can visit the royal delft factory and see how Delft Blue is made.

http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

In case you stay in Rotterdam I will give you their link too:http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/

Let me know if you need more info.

Northernlite, it is not clear to me where you dock or what ship you are on.

Only a few ships dock in Rotterdam(some Princess, HAL etc). Most ships dock in Amsterdam (also some HAL, all Celebrity, Costa etc.).

Rotterdam is the biggest port here, but mainly industrial. Only HAL used to sail from Rotterdam when still was sailing schedules Holland-America.Rotterdam just starts to try and get more cruiseships.

Amsterdam is the 2nd port in the country, but 99% of the cruiseships dockhere...By radition tourism is more around Amsterdam.

I'll be on the Celebrity Constellation out of Dover on September 10. It sounds as if we will dock in Amsterdam then? Thanks for the two links.

Yes, the Constellation docks at Amsterdam cruise Terminal, so no transportation problems I would say.

This link of the Amsterdam tourist board will give a lot of info, it also has another link with the cruise terminal, situated close to city center.

http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

If I am in the country, I certainly will be along Northseacanal at night and see you sail by.

Ine - you are a wonderful source of information. Do you know how much the tram would cost from the white bridge to Rotterdam's central station? We are hoping to take a train to Delft, as we have already enjoyed the sights of Amsterdam. Thanks! Steve

I donot know exactly as I use special "big" cards, which are for sale in some shops and stations and are good for more travels.

In trams and buses the driver sells only small cards as you pay according the stretch you ride. The driver (or sometimes what we call the conducteur - 2nd man at the back, depends on what type of car) only sells those small cards, usually per ride. We call them "strippenkaart".

So I have to guess, and think it will be abt. 1-2 Euros p.p. They carry cash for change for smaller currencies.

Archived