Specific to Royal Caribbean private areas - Labadee and Coco Cay

BillOh

Has anyone ever dove at either Labadee or Coco Cay? I remember being very happy with the snokeling at Coco Cay and I remember seeing a group of divers starting a shore dive from the same area.

I'm going on a boat dive in St Thomas in April, but my wife will be remaining on board . As long as I make sure she has some sun and snacks she is fine with that, but I was thinking I probably would schedule one dive per cruise in the future and if I go to Labadee or Coco Cay I could do a beach dive and then rejoin her on the beach after.

How has your dive experience been at either of these?

there is a one tank SCUBA offered at Coco Cay - if you take it you will be on the first tender to go ashore and they try to have you in and back out of the water b4 many other folks even get to the beach.

On my last visit to Coco we were in the water and just about to drop when a call came from the ship that a storm was approaching so we were told "dive over" and returned to the beach. Refund was issued, so no big complaint. If you've seen pictures of the snorkel area you see the lifeguard stand on the left looking from the beach, and behind that is a breakwater made of 'rip rap', the normal dive area is on the other side of this breakwater.

I've never seen a dive offered in Lab'

there is a one tank SCUBA offered at Coco Cay - if you take it you will be on the first tender to go ashore and they try to have you in and back out of the water b4 many other folks even get to the beach.

On my last visit to Coco we were in the water and just about to drop when a call came from the ship that a storm was approaching so we were told "dive over" and returned to the beach. Refund was issued, so no big complaint. If you've seen pictures of the snorkel area you see the lifeguard stand on the left looking from the beach, and behind that is a breakwater made of 'rip rap', the normal dive area is on the other side of this breakwater.

I've never seen a dive offered in Lab'

Thanks, its been 5 years since I've been to Labadee, but I did see a DIVE SHOP listed in Columbus Cove, so I assume they enter the water there. I'll check it out again before booking my 2014 cruise.

pulling up a sample FREEDOM cruise that goes to Lab

I can access the available excursions at Lab - there are 23 listed

no SCUBA .... a couple of SNORKELING options .... they come under the "type" classification of SCUBA and SNORKEL

doing the same for a MONARCH cruise that visits COCO I find 18 excursions, two are SCUBA (with and w/out equipment)

Scuba Dive Without Equipment - ZC05

OVERVIEW: Discover a side of CocoCay few others do - its underwater world. On this one-tank, shallow water shore dive, you will explore colorful coral reef as you dive a maximum depth of 40 feet ... Certified divers must present a valid certification "C" card in order to participate.

actually, not bad at all

MONARCH @ COCO

the one tank dive is $45 without and $55 with

note a typical two tank boat trip in Key Largo will run around $80 plus equipment...(tanks and weights included) {Sea Dwellers}

@ NASSAU you can book a two tank dive excursion (using Stuarts Cove last time I went)

$139 and $160

looking at the Stuart Cove web site, equipment rental would be $30 for BC, reg and MFS. and a 2 tank dive is $116

So ACTUALLY, the cruise price is IMO not bad since the ride to/fm the shop is included and it is about 30 minutes . . .

a similar 2 tank boat dive at Sunset House in GC with equipment would run $160 plus your transportation to get to their dock.

btw - I am not trying to be argumentative here; your questions are just making me curious. Living in the greater Canaveral area I can take a MONARCH weekend just about anytime and when the rates go down (under $150 per person) we do. And a week on FREEDOM is nearly as painless when you don't have to fly, or drive, or even pay parking (thank you kind neighbor who drives us) And if we go, I dive. I never considered the costs out of line but never really compared either.

btw - I am not trying to be argumentative here; your questions are just making me curious.

Not taken that way at all, I'm happy for the info and I fully expected RC's price at Coco Cay to be $100 for a one tank dive and I'm glad to hear otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived