Whats a proper tip for the steak house

pj woods

Tip is included so anything extra that you leave is up to you and just a bonus for the server!!:)

Wow, I never thought about it because there is usually just the two of us, but $210 or $280 extra for a party of 6 or 8 to go to the steakhouse suddenly seems like a lot.

We have always left an additional tip...15% on top of the $35 is only approximately $10 for a couple. This is what we typically leave. With the calibre of service we have always received, it is worth it. $80 for a great meal...worth every penny! :)

Diamond members need to note that the tip IS NOT included in the Diamond free Steakhouse letter.

Hubby and MIL used one of our Diamond free Steakhouse letters on the Conquest last week...and tipped 15% ....

How about the COST of the meal then, a technicality.

:) Thank you! It is a personal thing. When I use a 'coupon' in a restaurant, I always tip based on the "before coupon" COST of the meal. So, assuming that the tip is included in the $35 pp COST of this meal...We feel an addiitional $10 or so to the server/steakhouse mgr/sommalier etc etc is money well spent...but then, that is just me!

Tip is included so anything extra that you leave is up to you and just a bonus for the server!!:)

Wow, I never thought about it because there is usually just the two of us, but $210 or $280 extra for a party of 6 or 8 to go to the steakhouse suddenly seems like a lot.

But that's probably on the low end of a meal for two (maybe even party of one) at a first class steakhouse in Chicago, like Charlie Trotters, or in NYC, like Sparks or Peter Lugars. Tip not included (and 20-25% expected). :eek:

We usually tip a bit extra on the bill especially if service was great. There's room to add on the printout ticket. Extra tip gets you nice smiles from the waitstaff when you see them around on the cruise and extra big slices of what ever they're serving at the Chocolate Extravaganza on the last sea day.:)

:) Thank you! It is a personal thing. When I use a 'coupon' in a restaurant, I always tip based on the "before coupon" COST of the meal. So, assuming that the tip is included in the $35 pp COST of this meal...We feel an addiitional $10 or so to the server/steakhouse mgr/sommalier etc etc is money well spent...but then, that is just me!

But you would tip on the value of the meal, not an 18% surcharge they gave you as if you dined with 6.

Seems you and other are guessing the values of meals here. And actually 2 meals, as the surcharge is on top of the uneated meal in the MDR you forewent, plus tip there as well.

If the value of the regular dinner is $25.00pp and the specialty is $35.00pp, and the gratuities are paid for the regular, shouldn't you tip the difference of $10.00?

Then do you reduce your total gratuities for the MDR, since you're not eating there that night? Way too much work! lol

That being said, I did add an additional tip on top of the surcharge when we dined there on our last Carnival cruise. But it apparently isn't required, which is the same as RCI.

We had a great meal at David's on Pride, but I wasn't in awe as I was expecting to be. While very nice, it's still not a big city, first class dining experience IMO.

But you would tip on the value of the meal, not an 18% surcharge they gave you as if you dined with 6.

Seems you and other are guessing the values of meals here. And actually 2 meals, as the surcharge is on top of the uneated meal in the MDR you forewent, plus tip there as well.

VALUE is in the eye of the beholder!

You certainly aren't in the food business if you even think that.

They were asking what they should tip (i.e., the value of the meal) when they have a free Diamond certificate. I have no idea what you think the VALUE of the meal is, but when I go to a restaurant and I've paid $35 for a dinner, I would tip around $10. Since I have no idea the true VALUE of the steakhouse meal, I'm going by the COST I've just paid to figure a tip. Maybe Carnival has been lying to us all along and NONE of the $35 is tip, do you know that for sure???

They were asking what they should tip (i.e., the value of the meal) when they have a free Diamond certificate. I have no idea what you think the VALUE of the meal is, but when I go to a restaurant and I've paid $35 for a dinner, I would tip around $10. Since I have no idea the true VALUE of the steakhouse meal, I'm going by the COST I've just paid to figure a tip. Maybe Carnival has been lying to us all along and NONE of the $35 is tip, do you know that for sure???

The OP mentioned nothing about having a free Diamond certificate.

And when a restaurant brings me a bill that includes the service charge, and the only time that happens is when I dine with at least 5 other people, usually at 18%, I don't tip on the total bill including the 18%, nor even on tax for that matter.

Archived