Rima's

geocruiser

Hi,

I did a search on this board and got lots of info on Rima's. I know it is about a 10 minute walk to Pondfilled road where it is.

I want to know is it safe to walk alone to the store? I have never gone passed the first St for shopping before.

Thank you for your help.

I'd consider it fairly safe -- from a traffic consideration. Not good sidewalks all the way. Be very careful and alert.

If you're there in January, it's rainy season and rainstorms can come up suddenly -- carry a good umbrella.

gary

I'd consider it fairly safe -- from a traffic consideration. Not good sidewalks all the way. Be very careful and alert.

If you're there in January, it's rainy season and rainstorms can come up suddenly -- carry a good umbrella.

gary

Thanks. I will be there in Jan. We have gotten rained on before when there. It came down in buckets. I have been there many times but never walked off front street.

Here's a post I made a few years back:

Click on the thumbnail below to see the map. You will probably have an option to view full size if you need it.

th_PBurgMap.jpg

(click)

The water taxi stop that you mention 'near the beach' is at the Captain Hodge Pier (The Little Pier) that you can see on the map. Wathey Square is the little plaza in front of the Court House.

Rima's is #17 on the map.

If you walk two blocks past the Court House, where you will run into the parking lot, and turn left, you will be going West on Cannegieter Street. After you have walked two or three blocks, you will see the large Rima's Building ahead of you. (I have this photo somewhere, but can't find it right now).

You can't get to Rima's from Cannegieter, but will have to jog off to your right one more block to the Pondfill Road. That's where Rima's is located, on Pondfill Road, NOT on Back Street.

gary

p.s. If you happen to come across some of my earlier postings about not walking to Rima's, they were when they were located in a different, much farther location.

Here's a post I made a few years back:

Thanks. I read a lot of your post on Rima's by doing a search. The map is great. As long as it is a safe walk, I will walk it. I am all ways looking around when I am in a different place. I want to "feel" safe there. Are the streets that you would walk down to get there fill with others from the ships? Or just local people and shops?

Few cruisers, but some tourists staying on the island and locals. Lots of people walking from the free parking on the Pondfill into town.

There are shops, banks, insurance companies, the post office. Lots of people out and about doing business during the day.

gary

Few cruisers, but some tourists staying on the island and locals. Lots of people walking from the free parking on the Pondfill into town.

There are shops, banks, insurance companies, the post office. Lots of people out and about doing business during the day.

gary

Thanks. Then it seems to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

When we went to Rima's a few years back, we started off the day for a couple hours at Little Divi Beach which is a very short drive from the downtown area. We had the taxi driver drop us of at Rima's and then we walked back to the water front.

It was an easy walk and I never felt un-safe or uncomfortable, although in that area the roads and buildings are a bit more run down as compared to the road off the beach area.

I got a great deal on a couple of seconds on beach bags, but as for the rest of what we bought, the prices were good, but the same prices as I could have gotten at the shops one street in from the beach area. The selection was good. If you don't want to make the walk, then the shops just one street in from the beach area had comparable prices, but did not have the reduced price seconds.

Archived