ALASKA- need help

Suziesail

My husband and I want to cruise Alaska in 2005

7 day cruise - 3 day land - starting with the land first. Princess or Holland? Which ship?

Which intinerary - Glaiser Bay or Hubbard Glaiser? stops in Ketchikan or Skagway? Any insights appreciated. What offers the best wildlife sighting. (whales) .

We sailed to Alaska. It was our first cruise and it was on Royal Caribbean. The service was unbelievable as was the food. We really enjoyed Royal Caribbean.

We were originally on course to see the Hubbard Glaicer but in an interesting turn of events, we were taken to Glacier Bay (something about them getting permission after several years - I dont' remember exactly). It was sooo cool! The glacier was calving like crazy. If you've never seen or heard a glaicer calf before you're really missing out - it's so amazing.

We went to both Ketchikan & Skagway. I really like Skagway and had actually been there by car before. Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas has an itinerary that goes to both I believe.

We didn't take any excursions for whale watching as we saw so many during dinner. I don't think we dined once where we didn't see one or more whales in the water! It's neat. When someone spots one it's like everybody gets up from their seats to go to the closest window.

Hope this helps a bit!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;22;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Century 01/22/05-could it be any further away???

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;1;29;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Century 01/29/05-I'm hibernating till then!

Hypnotic-- can you tell me what month you went to ALaska - that sounds like that I want to see....

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

It was September.

My step-mom had also been with her mother before and she said they never saw any calving.

Not sure when the best time to see the calving is but we couldn't keep up with all the pieces breaking away. Have lots of pics of splashing water!

You might want to post a new question that addresses when the best time to see calving is.

Oh ya the other thing you can see a lot of is the salmon running. I'd always wanted to see this and never expected to see it there. There were literally thousands to be seen. (Lots of pics of these too!)

Let me know if you want to see some pics.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;22;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Century 01/22/05-could it be any further away???

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;1;29;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Century 01/29/05-I'm hibernating till then!

Many cruises are round-trip from either Seattle or Vancouver. Others only go one way. In that case, you are responsisble for additional airfare. Of course you could always back-to-back 2 cruises! The round trips out of Vancouver are the most scenic. Have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I went to Alaska May 2002 on Sun Princess, Vancouver to Seward. It included Glacier Bay -- it was awesome. We enjoyed it so much we booked Dawn Princess May 2003. It did Glacier Bay again, but a different glacier. The park service regulates the traffic. The first year the glaciers were calfing every few minutes, but the second year less so. As for wildlife, we saw whales, dolphins, and sea otters from the ship. Some fellow travelers were complaining to the bus driver on the Seward to Anchorage transport that they didn't see any wildlife; the whole bus started laughing and told them they had to just open their eyes! Even spotted Moose on the way to Anchorage. Princess stops in Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau. Enjoy!

MY HUSBAND AND I WENT TO ALASKA ON THE VISION OF THE SEAS FOR OUR 25TH ANNIVERSARY AND HAD A BALL!!!! DIDN'T SLEEP FOR 3 DAYS. I WILL REMEMBER LAYING DOWN ON THE BED AND SEEING A FULL MOON THROUGH MY PORTHOLE WINDOW FOREVER.IT WAS LIKE IT WAS THERE JUST FOR ME!!!ENJOY

Archived