Fort Lauderdale to Kennedy Space Center

Roo B

We are cruising out of Port Everglades and plan on staying in Florida for a couple of days after the cruise. We wanted to drive up to see the Kennedy Space Center. Right now the plan is to depart the ship Sunday and drive up to Cocoa Beach and do Kennedy the next day.

Any tips/ideas on things to see and do during the drive on the way? We were thinking maybe doing an airboat ride.

Is there a more interesting place to stay than Cocoa Beach?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

We are cruising out of Port Everglades and plan on staying in Florida for a couple of days after the cruise. We wanted to drive up to see the Kennedy Space Center. Right now the plan is to depart the ship Sunday and drive up to Cocoa Beach and do Kennedy the next day.

Any tips/ideas on things to see and do during the drive on the way? We were thinking maybe doing an airboat ride.

If you miss the chance to see the Everglades, you will be missing an opportunity to see something wonderful. And...you can take your airboat ride there.

hmmmm .... along the way ... can't think of a lot that rings my bell along the way. Your drive is about 170 miles or so ... on 95 you'll be averaging 70 mph plus . . . you can potentially be to Cocoa area b4 noon

1. I'd say Cocoa Beach area is a good place - but any nice beach place along the way is ... nice. I know a good b&b a lil south or Cocoa if you want the link . ..

2. I'm not sure where to send you for an airboat ride b4 you get to Cocoa but there are several up here ... just google brevard airboat . . . they'll take you into the St John's river area. Lots of gators (not the Gainsville kind)

3. If you visit Cocoa Beach you must visit Ron Jon and buy an item with the logo .... there are inspection stations at the county line and you may not leave without presenting an RJ item. Any purchase gets a window sticker which allows quick pass thru the inspection station.

If you want to do the airboat ride before heading north to Cocoa Beach, there's several options within easy reach of Port Everglades - Broward County Everglades Holiday Park is about 18 miles due west of the Airport/Cruise Port on Griffin Road. :)

Thanks so much for responses.

Capt_BJ - I would love the link to the B&B - thank-you

Do you think it is better to do the Airboat Ride by Fort Lauderdale or should we do it up by Cocoa Beach? I am a little confused about how far the Everglades go. From what I can tell the river up by Orlando feeds into the Everglades. Would I be seeing the same type of stuff in both areas?

There are a million companies that offer airboats, does anyone have any first hand experience with a reputable one?

http://www.windemereinn.com

The everglades begin in the Orlando/Brevard County area with the wetlands of the St Johns and other rivers, and extend south thru the remainder of Florida. What is seen west of Broward and Dade counties, in the central (east west) part of the state continuing south one might think of as the deep everglades while north is the headlands.

As you say, there are MANY places where you can take an airboat ride. What you see in them will be similar, but it is true that what you see up north may not be as intense as what you'd see by getting really DEEP into the 'glads, south and west of Miami.

I can vouch for the ride from Lone Cabbage Fish Camp near Cocoa to be well run and safe.

http://www.windemereinn.com

The everglades begin in the Orlando/Brevard County area with the wetlands of the St Johns and other rivers, and extend south thru the remainder of Florida. What is seen west of Broward and Dade counties, in the central (east west) part of the state continuing south one might think of as the deep everglades while north is the headlands.

As you say, there are MANY places where you can take an airboat ride. What you see in them will be similar, but it is true that what you see up north may not be as intense as what you'd see by getting really DEEP into the 'glads, south and west of Miami.

I can vouch for the ride from Lone Cabbage Fish Camp near Cocoa to be well run and safe.

Thanks. This is really helpful. We just have to figure out what we really want I guess. I had looked at lone Cabbage, so nice to have feedback on that too.

Archived