Pride of America - july 2013 - any reason not to?

stampmouse

For our 25th anniversary we decided to do Hawaii and since we hadn't been there before we are thinking cruise. Especially since we can't make our mind which island to do. Some great reviews on the boards here THANK YOU

two things I don't want to drive anywhere would prefer to be driven are the tours worth doing through the cruise line?

any reason why I should bag the cruise and just do an island and maybe add another island as a hop instead??

any other really negative about the cruise?

i have been on 5 other cruises so not new to cruising only new to Hawaii and NCL.

My DH and I decided on the POA for the same reasons. We couldn't figure out "where" to stay. If we did, we would only be island hopping anyway. Why not do it in comfort on POA?

Neither one of us want to drive so we are doing excusions that we are picked up or NCL excursions. You can find them - they just aren't as easy to find as in the Caribbean. So far, we have two excursion through the ship and one private tour. It's just so hard to make our minds up - so many things...lol.

We are new to NCL - So we're keeping our fingers crossed. :D

I would add some time pre-cruise in Honalulu. Give yourself time to explore the island and adjust to the time change before boarding the cruise. (Or post-cruise, but definitely get in the night before the cruise.)

Other than that we found the cruise a great way to see the islands and would love to do it again some day.

My only comment is that this is a great cruise to take if you intend to get off the ship and experience the beauty of Hawaii. If your main goal is a typical cruise with sea days and a lot of ship board activity, then save your money and do a traditional Caribbean cruise or something.

We really enjoyed the POA cruise and said we would go again. Great way to see the islands. The staff was great, the food was ok - not top quality but not bad. Since you have been on cruises before you know how cabins are - small

Great way to see the islands - wake up in the morning and you are on another island - you don't have to go through the airport and security for each flight - two islands you will be overnight so can stay out and do excursions as long as you want. You don't have to unpack either

You can rent cars on the islands or book excursions - highly recommend it

Definitely go and enjoy :D

It is a fantastic itinerary, you can't beat it. I second the recommendation to arrive a few days early. It helps to adjust to the time difference and really get into the Aloha spirit before your cruise. And you'll get to experience some of Oahu that way, which you otherwise wouldn't be able to do on the cruise.

It's a really port intensive itinerary so it wouldn't be a traditional cruise experience. Adjust expectations accordingly and it'll be great!

We go to Hawaii every year. I agree with the others that the NCL (Pride of America) cruise is the best way to see the islands.

Regarding excursions, read my review from Dec 2011 (below my signature). I give examples of some of the excursions we've done in the past. We're going back Nov 2012, and on the last page (page 8) of my review I list the excursions we are planning this time around.

Archived